bpat777
Topic Author

The Longest You've Slept On A Long Hual Flt?

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:03 am

With airlines improving their cabins and seating these days I was wondering how many of my fellow A-netters can sleep for hours in a long flight? Say 7 hrs or longer? I flew JFK-CDG in coach and was surprised I slept 3 hrs during the flight.

initious

RE: The Longest You've Slept On A Long Hual Flt?

Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:06 am

Flew DXB-BKK, 6 hour flight in Business on TG. I slept like a baby for 3 hours but I doubt I would be able to sleep if I was in Coach or if it is a day flight.
One way I will fly around the world!

LAXintl

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:27 am

I'd say a good 8-9 hours on many long Transpac flights. (eg LAX-HKG)
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

aa61hvy

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:58 am

About 9 hrs for me. HKG-SFO CX in F. I slept from about 300miles south of Japan and woke up over the gulf of Alaska. Of course wine did assist me in achieving this.
Go big or go home

wilco737

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:22 am

Must've been something around 7-8 hours as well on a flight from DEN-FRA on LH 346s C class. I was so tired I almost missed diner....

wilco737

OA260

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:26 am

I find it hard to sleep , the best sleep I had was on a BA B744 from LAX-LHR some years back when I was a regular on that route. I slept for around 6 hours which is good for me.

wilco737

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:30 am

Quoting oa260 (Reply 5):
I find it hard to sleep

I have no problem sleeping on the airplane. I do it all the time and enjoying it.  

wilco737

initious

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:05 am

Quoting oa260 (Reply 5):
I find it hard to sleep

I agree with you on that. It's almost for me to have more than a little nap on the plane. The reason I had 3 hours on my DXB-BKK flight was because it was a night flight and I was dead tired before that so I passed out like a light right after meal service. Didn't even bother with IFE!
One way I will fly around the world!

PlymSpotter

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:35 am

I once slept for an entire AMS-JFK flight. It was on a KL 74M with only a handful of passengers and I was down the back with an entire row to myself. I stretched out after take-off and woke up on final approach. I might have woken up for dinner, but I really don't remember.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

BlatantEcho

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:16 pm

I'm not that good at sleeping long haul. On LAX-SYD I probably got 3 hours of sleep.

On my recent PDX-AMS I had two seats to myself on the righthand side of the A332 and I was able to curl up and sleep for 4 hours.

I'll tell you, it makes a huge difference being able to sleep for some hours compared to just catching cat naps of 20-30 minutes a few times. I felt way more rested and ready for action after thsoe flights.

(all in Y fwiw)
They're not handing trophies out today

NorthstarBoy

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:05 pm

My longest stretch was 4 hours on the CI Anc-Tpe flight. I was lucky enough to secure the bulkhead so i could stretch my knees out and become somewhat horizontal. I was awakened by the kid sitting behind me who would not stop kicking the back of my seat. Generally, I don't sleep well on airplanes, as I tell people "the human body is not designed to contort in a way that makes sleeping in a 17 by 31 inch space possible." Translated, not matter how tired i am, i cannot sleep sitting up.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

flymia

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:30 pm

I usually do not sleep much of most flights. I find myself sleeping more on shorter flights at least more of a percentage of the flight. Also if its a daylight long haul like my last one LHR-MIA I did not sleep one second.
Anyway the most I ever slept was 7 hours on LAX-AKL so it was for half the flight in coach in a middle seat!
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

readytotaxi

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:48 pm

UK to USA I have the "afternoon nap" in Club about 3 hrs, on the way back I have dinner and then sleep a good 6 hrs having breakfast in the lounge. The wine certainly helps as does the Bose headset.  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

aklrno

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Quoting Wilco737 (Reply 6):
I have no problem sleeping on the airplane. I do it all the time and enjoying it.

wilco737

I was hoping you were the one guy who stayed awake.

I sleep so well in Business class AKL-LAX and return that I have to ask the FAs to wake me up for breakfast since I may not have a chance to eat again for a few hours. I eat dinner and then sleep for at least 8 hours.

The day of the flight is usually very busy for me. Nearly a full day at the office, fly RNO-LAX, visit with some family for a few hours, then onto the late NZ flight. I'm worn out when I get on the plane,and start to doze off before take-off.

roseflyer

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:03 pm

I got about 8 hours ICN-SFO and then 10 hours on EWR-SIN. I sleep well.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

OA260

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:01 pm

Quoting Wilco737 (Reply 6):
I have no problem sleeping on the airplane
Quoting aklrno (Reply 13):
I was hoping you were the one guy who stayed awake.

LOL.... Im sure someone capable is in control whilst he is sleeping  
Quoting initious (Reply 7):
I agree with you on that. It's almost for me to have more than a little nap on the plane

Sometimes Im that tired that I can sleep anywhere but its hit and miss. Mostly though on flights its cat naps. Hoping to try out some new flatbed products this year so will see just how good they are  

thegman

Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:01 am

I slept for about 7 hrs on CLT-HNL last year. Of course I did stay up til 0400 for a 0945 departure and was with the aid of cough syrup.

blueflyer

Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:27 am

When I was in my teens and twenies, I wouldn't sleep on planes for some reason. I once pulled a CGK-HKG-CDG without shut-eye. 10 years later and I've slept nearly from wheels up to wheels down on any sector ranging from a IAH-DFW in coach to a TATL upfront. Nowadays I try to manage my time a bit better because sometimes a flight is the only chance I get to get some rest and some food before or after a long day, so I do my best not to hit the recline button until after the meal service.

My longest airborne sleep to date was approximately 10 hours after a tiring week-end on a SIN-EWR.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:55 am

Depends on how tired I am, or if I have a few drinks to assist me. If I'm really tired, I can sleep the entire flight. If I'm not, than maybe a few hours. I've also had flights where I don't know how long I've really been asleep? I just close my eyes and try really hard. Sometimes it doesn't seem like I've really fallen completely to sleep? It just feels like I'm sitting there with my eyes closed, but suddenly I realize we're on on decent, even though it only feels like it's been a couple hours since take-off. In those instances I conclude I must have been asleep? Even if it didn't seem like it.

Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 9):
On my recent PDX-AMS I had two seats to myself on the righthand side of the A332 and I was able to curl up and sleep for 4 hours.

Had the same thing happen on my last Trans-Atlantic flight from DUS-RSW. I got some sleep, but it was pretty uncomfortable and my head kept getting hit by the drink cart. When I arrived, I couldn't stand up straight for two days! It felt like somebody was trying to snap my lower spine into two pieces!

[Edited 2011-03-28 00:55:52]

CXB77L

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:20 am

Probably an hour, at the most. I can never sleep on planes, although I've never flown in a lie-flat seat. I just find sleeping while in an upright position somewhat difficult. The most I've slept is about an hour, but I usually spend long haul red-eye flights constantly drifting in and out of sleep, no matter how tired I am.
Boeing 777 fanboy

pdxtriple7

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:52 pm

I really have trouble sleeping on planes. In general, I'm a fairly picky sleeper. However, I managed about 7.5 hours in First Class between Dallas and Buenos Aires on an AA 777. I was aided by a few drinks. In coach, I can maybe get 2 hours of "sleep" at a time on a transatlantic flight.

Yflyer

Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:13 pm

I genenerally have trouble sleeping on planes, and I'm sure the fact that I'm always in economy class doesn't help. I did, however, get a decent amount of sleep on my BLR-FRA flight last year. It was scheduled to depart at something like 3:30 am, but was delayed an hour. So by the time we were airborn I had basically been up all night and went right to sleep.

There was also a time I was on a red-eye flight from SMF to IAH. I popped a sleeping pill when they did the beverage service, and the next thing I knew I was being told to put my seat upright for landing. Unfortunately that flight is so short there was only time for probably 3 hours of sleep at most.

747girl

Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:32 pm

On a long, 13 hour flight between AKL and SFO, I managed about 3 hours sleep. However, it was in economy so not comfortable. My face was rammed against the wall and my legs curled up, with my feet under my husband's chin!

brons2

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:56 pm

I have only slept really well on one flight ever, DFW-CDG in August of 2007. I am 6'7" and most of the time I am really struggling for legroom in Y. On this flight, I was able to obtain an exit row on the 763ER. I took two Ambien upon boarding the plane at DFW and I was extremely drowsy by the time we took off. Shortly thereafter I was out cold. Woke up once because I was cold and grabbed a sweatshirt from the overhead, promptly going right back to sleep. When I awoke again it was the next day and we were on finals for CDG. I arrived feeling refreshed and ready to go. Which was good because things didn't go that well in Paris upon deplaning. It took me many hours to get to my hotel and I had a bike box and two bags in tow.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

TLG

Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:27 am

BOM - FRA, LH 747, I fell asleep shortly after takeoff and woke up as the cabin crew was preparing for landing. I would've slept somewhere between 7 - 8 hours. It was a long time ago and I don't remember details, but the flight left BOM sometime after midnight, with arrival time in FRA being something like 5 AM.

-TLG

sw733

Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:39 am

I can usually do 6-8 hours on a trans-pac flight, but a couple years ago I had been putting in 15 hour days at work for 2 weeks straight and then hit the road to MEL for business, and fell asleep about 20 minutes into my 16 hour (due to winds) LAX-MEL flight, and slept 11.5 hours straight - woke up over Noumea, New Caledonia. That's my personal record.

icarus75

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:38 am

CX flight in business HKG to CDG : I've slept something like 7 hours
LH flight in business HYD to FRA : I've slept for 7 hours
GF flight in business bah to CDG : I've slept 5 hours

The above were business trips after a long week of work with few sleeping hours!  

BA flight in coach LHR to LAX : I fall asleep right after take off and slept until 30 minutes before landing!
It was a holidays flight but in 3 weeks before, due to work, I've flown CDG-EWR-CLE-EWR-CDG, CDG-DXB-CDG and CDG-PVG-CDG
Flying is amazing!

retrolivery

Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:41 pm

I once popped a Benadryl and Xanax before boarding one of my (formerly) regular AM flights in Y between LIM and MEX on the way to JFK. Flight time was approx. 6 hours - I passed out against the window almost immediately upon sitting down and didn't wake up until after we'd touched down at MEX.

Similarly, after a 5 hour overnight layover in CAI after arriving in from SSH, I passed out from takeoff to landing on a 4.5 hour CAI-MXP haul on AZ in Y.
A3, AA, AC, AI, AK, AM, AP, AZ, B6, BA, CO, DL, EK, EY, FL, FI, FR, KL, KM, LH, MA, MH, MS, OA, OK, OS, SR, TA, TG, U2,

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:40 am

150 miles past MSP.

Signed,
The Pilots of Northwest 188
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

bps3458

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:02 am

Had a solid 9-10 hours flying EY F SYD-AUH on my way to Germany for my 20 year school reunion back in 2009. My wife joined me for the trip and it was the first time we left our three small kids with grandma and our au-pair girl. So after years of sleep depravation, we had a couple of drinks from BNE-SYD, had more in the QF lounge in SYD and after take-off and lunch changed in to our pyjamas and passed out until an hour before arrival in AUH. Best sleep ever on a plane.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

VonRichtofen

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:34 am

About 8 hours on an LH 744 from FRA-HKG. Had a whole middle row of 4 seats to myself so I could stretch out. F/A's were great and left me breakfast on my tray for when I woke up 

Mir

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:22 pm

A flight from FRA-DTW. I don't recall how long the flight was, but I was awake for only about 45 minutes. Missed the drink services, the meal service, everything. And it was in economy, too. But damn, was I tired.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ClassicLover

Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:17 pm

I sleep very badly on aircraft.

My only completely sound sleep was HNL-AKL on a United Boeing 747-100 in 1991 when I was 15. I slept the whole flight - I also had 3 Economy seats, so I laid down with my head at the window and put the seatbelts of all three seats loosely around me and I slept all the way. Great experience   Never again have I slept so well - not in BA First with a flat bed, or in various airlines Business Class cabins. Oh well!
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

lxmd11

Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:56 pm

A good 10-11 hours on SQ EWR-SIN. Awesome bed. Get to do it again in June 

vhtje

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:48 pm

I do not sleep that easily, but I find a small dose (10mL) of Night Nurse helps. But not even Night Nurse helps me sleep in Economy.

I find the motion of light turbulance helps when I am tucked up in the bed. The problem for me is BA's 744s (infact any BA Boeing) lack individual overhead air vents. I need to be cold to sleep, and since I cannot direct any cold air onto my body, I wake up when I get too hot, thus disturbing what would be a longer sleep. I otherwise adore the Club World beds and think they are the best out there.

I travel LHR to SFO return about 3 or 4 times a year, and usually sleep a good 6 or 7 hours on the return leg. I do not usually bother on the outbound (daytime) leg, I watch movies instead or read a book, then crash for a couple of hours in the hotel when I arrive.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

jetblast

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Had a fantastic seat in J on UA929 LHR-ORD, the first day of UA's 744 operation at LHR this summer - and I slept through the entire flight, around 7 hours. Figures.
Speedbird Concorde One

daviation

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:10 pm

I am a great sleeper on airplanes as long as I don't have an obese person halfway in my seat! Sometimes the rocking motion during taxi to the runway is enough to knock me out. I have to fight to stay awake to enjoy the takeoff.

The longest I have ever slept was on TLV-EWR. After the dinner service, when we had only been traveling for about one hour, I went to sleep and didn't awaken until we were over Canada! I couldn't believe it. But I admit that I cheated: I took a Ambien with a Merlot (some people call this an Amberlot), and I slept my way across the Mediterranean and Atlantic. So on that 12-hour flight, I slept for about 8-9 hours.
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

MattRB

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:44 am

YVR-SYD I slept maybe five to six hours. Coming back I slept 7-8. Slept most of the way back YVR-YYZ. Was lucky to get J class the entire trip, so it was decently comfortable.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

shamrock604

Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:22 am

10 hours in J from Hong Kong to Paris. 8 hours from Frankfurt to Tokyo also in J.

In economy, best I've had was 6 hours from Curacao to Amsterdam, but I had a row of 3 to myself.

Numero4

Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:07 am

My girlfriend and I got the crew rest seats on a CO 752, on a redeye from SFO to JFK. I slept from 10 minutes after take-off all the way to gear down. It was fantastic.

Once in a while, benzodiazepines are quite useful  
CYQB

Fiveholer

Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:38 am

7-8 hours CO6, NRT-IAH, BusinessFirst flatbeds. NICE!

Danny
Bring back Bethune!

RamblinMan

Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Normally I can't sleep at all but once I managed almost the entire way from FCO to ATL. I have to give credit to the massive hangover though.