EIJFK
Topic Author

US Airways Policy On One-way Int'l Flights?

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:21 pm

This is going to seem like a silly question, but I'll chance it anyway! I have a friend that is known for his tall tales. He pretends to travel for work a lot more than he actually does etc. Recently he tried telling us that he arrived ad DUB to take a US Airways flight that he had booked one way to travel to Florida. He claims that they turned him away at the desk because he had booked his return flight on Delta. He claims that they refunded him fully and that he just didn't bother going in the end.

Now, call me cynical, but this all seems a bit suspect. I'd love to hear some informed insight!

And yes, I realise how petty I'm being!  

CM767

RE: US Airways Policy On One-way Int'l Flights?

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:26 pm

One question, you clear US customs at DUB?
But The Best Thing God Has Created Is A New Day

apodino

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:27 pm

The only possible thing I can think of here is that because his return ticket was on a different airline, US may have had a hard time verifying this, especially if he was traveling here under the Visa Waiver program, which would mean he would have had problems with CBP. That being said though, DUB is a preclear station, so if this was an issue CBP wouldn't have even cleared him to go to the gate in DUB.

EIJFK
Topic Author

Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:54 pm

Okay, this is starting to make sense. I forget these things since I'm a dual US/EU passport holder. DUB is a preclear airport, so when they saw no return flight or had trouble verifying his flight, they wouldn't even allow him to go to the gate? Therefore, it's definitely not JUST a US Airways policy but a policy for anyone in his situation? I have travelled EI on one-way tickets before, but I'm assuming that's okay because I have a US passport?