delta fly boy

Dragonair & HKG Help!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:25 am

Was hoping that someone out there could help me with my current debacle.

I'm looking to fly from Hong Kong to Chengdu on a ZED ticket. I work for Delta. On Delta's travelnet it says the restriction is we cannot travel on "domestic sectors" within a country.

I called my pass bureau and they basically read me what I already know, and gave their best guess. I called Dragonair reservations in HKG and they said that as long as I have the ZED ticket from DL, I can fly. She also said that HKG-CTU is domestic. I spoke to another agent at Dragonair who said it was International.

So, I know that it's a bit confusing with the whole HKG/China country thing.... was hoping someone could help me out... I don't want to get to HKG and be stuck.

Also, does anyone know what loads might typically look like HKG-CTU in early July.

Thanks for any help!!

[Edited 2011-04-20 01:30:18]

initious

RE: Dragonair & HKG Help!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:15 pm

Chinese nationals getting from Hong Kong to China (and vice versa) has a special pass for them to travel between Macau, Hong Kong and Mainland China. For foreign nationals, I would assume that you will need to pass through customs clearance upon landing in HKG but there will be special counters dedicated to "flights from Mainland China" at HKG if I am not wrong.
One day I will fly around the world!

sw733

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Quoting initious (Reply 1):
there will be special counters dedicated to "flights from Mainland China" at HKG if I am not wrong.

Edited: Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing these...but 9 out of 10 times I am going from Mainland via HKG, it is a pure transit (only once in a blue moon to I enter HKG coming from the Mainland), so that doesn't mean they are not there, it just means I have not used them if they exist.

[Edited 2011-04-20 10:30:40]

initious

Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:35 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 2):
Edited: Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing these...but 9 out of 10 times I am going from Mainland via HKG, it is a pure transit (only once in a blue moon to I enter HKG coming from the Mainland), so that doesn't mean they are not there, it just means I have not used them if they exist.

I am not really sure about that too. However, I saw those counters at SHA so I assume they might be at HKG too.
One day I will fly around the world!

WROORD

Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:58 am

HKG to China flights are considered international (not only they charge foreign tax rate) but pax must go through immigration and customs. You must have a chinese visa to go to mainland China.

bps3458

Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:04 am

Hey Delta Fly Boy,

am in transit in HKG May 5th and can have a closer look about the transit procedures going on to mainland China and if it is regarded as an "international" flight. Just send me a message if you have not gotten an answer by then.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

Coal

Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:56 am

Quoting WROORD (Reply 4):
HKG to China flights are considered international (not only they charge foreign tax rate) but pax must go through immigration and customs. You must have a chinese visa to go to mainland China.

All mainland-Hong Kong / Macau / Taiwan flights are considered international as you go through the immigration formalities ex-China. When you arrive in the mainland (e.g. HKG - PVG) you also go through the normal immigration formalities. So yes, it is considered an international flight.

Worst case scenario, just take the MTR to Shenzhen and hop on a cheap flight from there to CTU. Flights between SZX and the rest of mainland China are usually about 1/3 of flights between HKG and mainland China.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: 3K SIN-HKT-SIN | CA SIN-CTU-SIN | SQ SIN-FRA | LH FRA-TXL-FRA | SQ FRA-SIN | SQ SIN-PVG-SIN