penguins
Topic Author

The Worst Airline You Have Flown On

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:41 pm

Sorry if there is already a thread like this I couldn't find, but I would like to know what the worst airline (i.e. customer service, comfort, ticketing, staff friendliness, etc.) that you have flown on? Mine would be China Eastern from Shanghai to LA. People were fighting at the gate because the flight was late and the staff didn't try to stop the fight.

KGRB

RE: The Worst Airline You Have Flown On

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:02 pm

I have had good and bad experiences on all of the airlines I've flown, so I don't have a "worst." And generally I don't like negative topics like this, but I have to take issue with something you said...

Quoting penguins (Thread starter):
People were fighting at the gate because the flight was late and the staff didn't try to stop the fight.

Passengers were fighting amongst themselves? That's what airport security/police officers are for, not airline gate agents.
Flown on 9E/AA/AL/CP/DL/EV/HP/MQ/NW/PT/OO/OH/UA/US/XJ/YV/YX/ZW

PlymSpotter

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:11 pm

I wouldn't say I have a worst per-se, rather a collection of offenders with a jewel in the crown.

One airline which has given a number of negative experiences (cabin crew not taking charge of situations, massive schedule changes with tectonic notification times, and rude staff) is WizzAir, however I gave them another chance recently and they were up to scratch.

AeroSvit are also on a par with them, but again in mitigation for the likes of their 14 hour on the day schedule changes they have offered me an equal number of reasonable flights and some very interesting airlines and equipment (Yak-42, An-24, An-140, B737-200) along the way.

Additionally I don't think much of Air France, in fact if there had to be a 'winner' in this category it would be them. They've served me grossly inedible food, mis-advised and delayed me in the airport to the point where I've missed a flight and then charged me for another one, and once a member of their ground staff even hit me. It takes a very good reason for me to fly them again.

And I can't forget to mention Alitalia, with the qualifier that I haven't flown them since the 're-birth'.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

jetblue777

Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:26 am

Most US and international carriers have been decent, though if I have to choose one....

Not exactly the worst but 5J (Cebu Pacific) is in the bottom of my list, I fly with them a lot when I go home to the Philippines, I've always preferred PR but their online booking is crap and we have no choice but to fly 5J as they were the only airline in the Philippines who accepted our credit card.

- Flights are never on-time despite their slogan "Always On-Time"
- FAs are cold and unfriendly, I've had better ones in the US and they tend to be friendlier on foreigners
- For some strange reasons they turn their AC to full blast and on one occasion "smoke" (okay, water vapor   ) came out from our mouths!
- Legroom on their A319/A320 is horrible, but you'd expect that from a LCC
- Boarding procedure is always and have always been chaotic, I see no point of passengers entering the jetway and exiting to the tarmac and board via airstairs in the rear (passengers seated in Row 16+) Why can't they follow DL and other airlines' system of boarding by zones?! Though it offers a great opportunity to take pictures, if there's a jetway installed then use it  

The positive: Good choices of BOB and pricing, good website, tends to be cheaper than my favorite domestic carrier PR by a lot and, short 1hr flights and their ATR-72 flights are much more pleasant.
It's a cultural thing.

TheCommodore

Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:41 am

Northwest Airlines.

On a flight several years ago that was delayed at the gate for over an hour. Some passengers were very hot and thirsty (due to an A/C problem) and requested water. The response from the FA's was nothing but mindbogglingly, they refused, saying that if they gave one person a drink, everyone would start asking for one and they weren't prepared to do that.  Wow!

Can you imagine that, I mean what the hell are they bloody well there for then, certainly not there looks, most were grumpy and overweight old bags. Very unbecoming for and American airline that prides itself on service ...Not this mob.

Needless to say, that was my first and last trip with that lot. And I tell all I can, about that experience.

[Edited 2011-04-22 20:45:51]
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

initious

Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:53 am

Mine would be China Eastern from Shanghai to LA.

I wasn't surprised when a Chinese carrier is listed. My worst would be without a shadow China Southern Airlines. What I really did not get is why they managed to get a 4-star rating upped from a 3-star with horrendous service, terrible food and tight seat pitch.

You may refer to the following TRs for more info.

Away We Go - China Southern SIN-CAN-WUH Vv (1/2) (by initious Apr 2 2010 in Trip Reports)
Away We Go - China Southern WUH-CAN-SIN (2/2) (by initious Apr 14 2010 in Trip Reports)
First On Airliners.net - CZ Shanghai To Shantou (by Initious Jun 27 2010 in Trip Reports)
One way I will fly around the world!

dimik747

Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:43 pm

China Eastern is up there, China Southern as well, Air Chine and Shanghai Airlines however were much more positive experiences. Worst one however has to be Delta Airlines long haul from Atlanta to Athens, extremely cramped and not al all up to European competition. It was a 767 with old interior however, so thats why it was such a bad experience. To be fair though, domestic economy was excellent with the MD-88s

jetfuel

Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:35 pm

1. Tiger Airlines - more like a nasty Greyhound Bus
2. RyanAir - another tacky busline
3. US Air. Just feels second rate
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

CXfirst

Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Short-haul:

Tiger Airways Australia (well, short-haul LCC product, 4 hr flight)

Long-haul:

Not actually had any bad flights.

Worst would be the EK 77W (because it is 10-abreast and it is compared mostly just to SQ, TG, CX, etc.), but overall that flight was good (especially ICE)

However, I am afraid that traveling FRA-BKK on the LH 744 in July could take that spot, as my options are limited (incredibly limited star alliance awards options available between Europe and Australia!), and IFE on long flights are important for me.

-CXfirst

bps3458

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:38 pm

Only airline I have personally black listed is United and after a recent flight on CO from LAX to IAH I think this merger will just create an even bigger Greyhound of the Skies. I am more than thrilled that QF has finally introduced service to DFW so I do not have to put up with a domestic flight to visit my relatives in the States.

In 2006 we took our, at that time, 6 weeks old son on his first big voyage flying SYD-SFO-ORD-MIA return to visit my sister in Miami. The entire trip was just bad. Clueless check-in staff in SYD did not have a booking for our infant son, oldest 744 ever with non-funtioning overhead monitor so instead of turning it off we had the pleasure of looking at a greenish/purple screen for the entire trip across the Pacific as we were sitting right underneath the screen with our son trying to sleep in his bassinet. Sloppy and uninterested flight attendants all around. Terrible ground staff alt all stations especially the chick in MIA who could hardly speak a word of English.

Fly the friendly skies, my ar#$% !! Rant over.

Cheers from Brisbane,

Peter

shamrock604

Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:39 am

I've never really had an awful, never again, not a hope in hell experience on any airline in my several hundred flights.

But ones I probably would not choose again:

Ryanair - Cheap, on time generally, sure, but I just dont like the experience.

Iberia - Rude, unfriendly and inflexible.

Spanair - bone crunching seat pitch.

American Airlines - awful, awful, drab, old cabins. Poor BOB service on a 6.5hr flight with crap IFE.

Virgin - Lots of hype, lots of coloured plastic. Awful meals and seat pitch, bad service.

BlatantEcho

Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:08 am

Meridiana Fly out of Italy was pretty wildly awful. I can't say categorically, as I only flew them once, but it was bad bad bad.

Now, USAirways, that's one that carrier that after one flight, I'll never fly again.
As a frequent flyer, I'm never going back on that disastermess!
It was very clear why their reputation is so poor.

[Edited 2011-04-23 18:10:01]
They're not handing trophies out today

joffie

Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:36 am

Tiger airways is like a zoo. But I have had some good flights with them for bloody cheap!

US airways was not the good. 2007 LAS-LAX 737-400 a little bump and they cancelled the drink service. Not that im complaining as here in Aus we have to pay for drinks on all flights except QF

SQ has a terrible flight from Delhi-Singapore. Poor unorganised service, but they made up for that on the SIN-LAX A345 service last year.

AeroWesty

Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:41 am

Back in the early 1980s, there was a startup named PacificExpress that ran flights up and down the west coast using BAC-111s. The only good thing about it was that I got to fly on that type, first and last time. Flew them SFO-LAX over a weekend, but when I showed up for the return flight I was told that I had no seat since I was listed as a no-show for the outbound flight. The planes weren't in the best shape, and I swore off them despite the cheap price after that one experience (I think it was around $25 each way). PacificExpress ended up lasting about two years.

In more modern times, US Airways takes it. Over the past 20 years I've probably only had once nice flight with them, LAX-PIT on a 762 many moons ago when they were USAir wearing the shiny metal livery.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frank C. Duarte Jr.

International Homo of Mystery

AR385

Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:45 am

Aerolineas Argentinas:

The rudest ground staff I have encountered anywhere.
Flights that appear and disappear at random
Won´t check you in when you are eligible
Constant delays of more than 24 hrs
Constant, illegal and unpredictable industrial action
Cramped seating
Indifferent, angry flight attendants
Selling first class when the airliners end up having none
No BOB but bad foood on board

Iberia:

Rude, "it´s not my problem" ground staff
Rudest cabin crew I´ve encountered so far
Incompetent at solving passenger issues they´ve created in the first place
Racist in general

Other than those two, I haven´t encountered a "worst" ariline. Just a bad experience here and there. Nothing out of the ordinary for a frequent flyer.

Bluebird191

Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:13 am

I've flown on 6 airlines for 48 flights on commercial services, and I'm likely going get flamed for this but the worst I think for me would have to be QF. I've flown on both forms of DJ (Virgin Blue and Pacific Blue), JQ, QF, NZ and EK, and QF would be the worst - primarily due to the downgauging of aircraft, late running of flights when the flight was operated by the aircraft scheduled to be flown when I booked, lousy in-flight food and beverage offerings on QantasLink flights, and the list goes on. The only saving grace with the first downgauge was they gave me VH-VXB (Yananyi Dreaming) and a delicious hot breakfast on the cold winters morning. Sorry in advance to all the QF lovers out there, but I'm not a fan.

BNAOWB

Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:55 pm

I flew Aero Costa Rica in 1995 ATL-MIA-SJO-MIA-ATL. During our quick stop in MIA, I witnessed the most disorganized system of boarding that I have ever seen. Evidently, the flight was seriously overbooked. Instead of the crew counting the number of empty seats and allowing that number of people onto the plane, they allowed everyone onto the plane and then removed 15 or so people that could not find seats.

On the return departure from SJO, our 737 required every inch of the runway length to take off. We finally got airborne over the last speck of runway. It was scary.

Then, in MIA, we had a 3-4 hour unexplained technical delay.

Interestingly, the plane had a split livery (one side was "Aero Costa Rica" and the other side was "Aeronaves de Haiti").

OA260

Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:45 pm

US Airways in their Envoy class from PHL-LGW on an A330 . The product was horrible. Granted it was some years back but the experience still puts me off flying with them ever again.

SABENA flying from ATH-BRU-LHR. The flight was delayed in ATH and I missed my connection in BRU. Met the rudest ground staff iin BRU I had ever met. A short time after they went bust and my mate who was travelling with me thought it was great as it was his worst trip ever. I am a bit more forgiving though and was sad to see them go.

timpdx

Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:19 pm

Flew some internal flights on CAAC in the 80's and that has to be the experience(s) of a lifetime. Weighing-in was interesting. Then the pushing shoving mass to get on the plane, un assigned seats and some sort of ferrets in a cage on the lap of a woman in my row...among many stories I can go through) I am sure China Eastern is leagues ahead of the CAAC.

TWA usually lived up to its initials "The Worst Airline" when I flew them before they went bye bye

In more recent times, I would have to go with Aerosvit for allowing a number of obviously intoxicated and obnoxious passengers onto my flight on a tiny E145.

Also had the same experience on US Air from PHX to ABQ as another poster said. Like one bump and they cancel drink service. WTF.

And will avoid Virgin Atlantic, worst seat pitch EVER, lots of color and gee-whiz, but downright painful to fly on. never again.

OTOH, Alitalia long haul has been quite good and clearly superior to the US carrier alternatives. Aeroflot was a pleasant surprise on a few legs, including a spanking-new A321. Ryanair has been fine, IMO, the flight segments are generally short, I can put up with almost anything for an hour-ish. On the longer legs I go with priority boarding to ensure legroom.

[Edited 2011-04-24 15:21:01]

jetblue777

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:03 am

Quoting jetfuel (Reply 7):
3. US Air. Just feels second rate
Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 11):
Now, USAirways, that's one that carrier that after one flight, I'll never fly again.
Quoting joffie (Reply 12):
US airways was not the good. 2007 LAS-LAX 737-400 a little bump and they cancelled the drink service. Not that im complaining as here in Aus we have to pay for drinks on all flights except QF
Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 13):
In more modern times, US Airways takes it.
Quoting OA260 (Reply 17):

US Airways in their Envoy class from PHL-LGW on an A330 . The product was horrible. Granted it was some years back but the experience still puts me off flying with them ever again.

Well I guess we have a winner! 
Quoting CXfirst (Reply 8):
However, I am afraid that traveling FRA-BKK on the LH 744 in July could take that spot

I always expect the worst from most major US carrier but I always end up getting surprised and pleased by the service and product I received. Have fun! You could get lucky and be on the sole 744 that has PTVs   
It's a cultural thing.

shamrock604

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:22 am

Yup, It seems US gets the top spot!

Followed closely it would seem by IB and VS!

sw733

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:55 am

I have flown on a few questionable African carriers that were...interesting...and left a lot to be desired from standpoints of customer service, safety and comfort.

However, with regards to an airline in the developed world that I simply will never, ever fly again after a few terrible flights (including giving it two "second chances") is US Airways. I have only come across one person (not counting pilots) at that airline who I felt deserved their job, and as such I have refused to give the airline any money to keep the rest of the employees I ran into employed. They were just truly awful and rude, and every aspect of customer service I came across seemed disorganized and second (or third) rate. I have spent more (both personal and corporate) and gone out of my way (i.e. flying MCI-TUL-PHX on WN instead of MCI-PHX nonstop on US) to avoid them.

flymia

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:24 am

Spirit Airlines no doubt about it. Hated them. Absolute worst. I did not enjoy Vueling flights much unless I had an extra legroom seat. But their service was fine and beats Ryanair. Never flew Ryanair but from what I hear Vueling was a lot better. Besides for Spirit no airline comes right to my head.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

RAGAZZO777

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:08 am

My 'worst' airline I have flown on would be Delta. Rude cabin crew and its international catering leaves a lot to be desired, even in Business class. After 4 flights with them I decided I'd had enough of DL.

Quoting flymia (Reply 22):
I did not enjoy Vueling flights much unless I had an extra legroom seat. But their service was fine and beats Ryanair.

IMO, EasyJet and Vueling both beat Ryanair.
JESÚS, TE AMO !!

jetblue777

Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:35 am

Quoting RAGAZZO777 (Reply 23):

Oh no you didnt!  well airlines have it's good and bad moments, though DL has been good so far. I'm surprised that no ones mentioning AA! though SW733 wouldn't be too pleased as he's the only A.netter I know who's an AA fan  
It's a cultural thing.

Checo77

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:01 am

My 'worst' airline I have flown on would be Delta. Rude cabin crew and its international catering leaves a lot to be desired, even in Business class. After 4 flights with them I decided I'd had enough of DL.

Really? I love DL, I have never had a bad flight with them   And I love ATL airport, my US favorite  

My worst airline I flew on is probably AA. No pillow on a long flight, bad catering, unfriendly crew, plus MIA is terrible.
Also AF is on the top of my list because of CDG, which I hate hate hate, plus their crew is also not the friendliest.

Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

sw733

Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Quoting JetBlue777 (Reply 24):
though SW733 wouldn't be too pleased as he's the only A.netter I know who's an AA fan

Hey now, hey now  

They take care of me, so I take care of them. I fly them a lot and have honestly never had a problem with them. But honestly, I'm surprised I have not seen AA either!

Well, until...

Quoting Checo77 (Reply 25):
My worst airline I flew on is probably AA.

Nice job, JetBlue777!  

tommy767

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:11 pm

I've had my good and bad, but I've seen more bad in the past few years with AA than anybody else. TERRIBLE buy on board services, disgruntled flight attendants, poor cabin condition, and lastly stubborn and conservative upper managment.

I ditched flying AA in 2008 for DL and UA and I felt both of their Y products were many steps ahead of AA. Yes, that's right from a coach perspective I've had better experiences with UA than AA if you can believe that.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

BAViscount

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:25 pm

I'll caveat what I'm about to post by saying that my worst ever flights with this particular airline were back in the late 80s and I have heard nothing but good things about the airline lately.

My worst ever flight (or flights as the outward and return flights were both as bad as each other) has to be with Air India. My Mother, cousin and I decided to go and visit family in North Carolina and got a good deal on the LHR-JFK leg with AI, from where we would fly with Pan Am down to CLT. We arrived at the gate to find a 742 that had obviously seen better days, especially when compared to the shiny clean QF bird at the neighbouring gate, but I had been on grubby-looking planes before and didn't really think a lot of it until my Mother turned to me and said "My God, is that ours??"!

Anyway, eventually we boarded...into what resembled (I would imagine, as fortunately I've never experienced one myself) a war zone! I appreciate that our flight was the continuation of a flight from India, but it appears that even if the cleaners had been on board during the Heathrow stopover, they had probably been fighting a losing battle and had given up and gone off for a smoke instead. The general appearance of the cabin screamed of having been unloved for quite a number of years. By this time my cousin, who was flying that day for the first time ever, was visibly shaking and close to tears. I begrudgingly let her have my window seat so she could at least look outside at anything other than our home for the next eight hours!

Once airborne a film started, so we plugged our earphones in for a listen. Only they didn't work. A number of people raised this with the F/A working our section, although to say she was indifferent would be insulting to indifferent people. She eventually wafted back and said that the audio wasn't working for our entire bank of seats, although her explanation was as far from apologetic as it's possible to get, in fact her tone pretty much suggested that she hoped we could lip read otherwise we were stuffed.

So we resigned ourselves to no in-flight entertainment for our transatlantic hop, but luckily my cousin and I both had our walkmans and my Mother had a book, so it could have been worse. The next thing we knew was that the delicious aroma of curry being warmed up was starting to fill the cabin, so we perked up a bit expecting a nice Indian meal for lunch. Wrong. The trolley reached our row and 'Miss(ing) Personality 1988' handed us what she lovingly described as "roast lamb dinner". I was a bit surprised, so asked if we could have the Indian meal instead. "NO...Indians only." was her charming response. Oh well, cr@ppy roast lamb it is then, although whether what we ate had ever actually belonged to a lamb is questionable. Personally I suspect it had been made in a plastics factory just outside Swindon.

Culinary experience over, I needed to use the facilities, so headed down the back and entered a vacant WC. As I set foot inside, I heard a splosh as my foot sank into the lake that surrounded the toilet. Nice. I did what I needed to do and headed back to advise my Mother and cousin to "hold it" if they could till we reached JFK. They did. American soil was a very welcome sight that day!

The return journey two weeks later was pretty much the same (although with working audio this time), only being a night flight we could at least pretend to sleep even if we were simply wide awake with our eyes shut to block out our surroundings!

I'm so glad to hear that AI have improved a lot since then!
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

Checo77

Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:39 pm

Quoting sw733 (Reply 26):

They take care of me, so I take care of them. I fly them a lot and have honestly never had a problem with them. But honestly, I'm surprised I have not seen AA either!
Nice job, JetBlue777!

For the record, I am one of the few last ones left, especially on anet, that really like US airlines. Especially DL, that I love! UA is also very good, especially their ORD-based crew is fantastic in my experience. But AA was really a downfall for me, even though I flew them TATL only one and a few times MIA-Latin America, so I cannot be that objective. But in general, if I have the choice between a US airline vs. European airline to fly TATL (assuming they both are equally priced) I tend to choose the US airline  

Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

jetblue777

Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Nice job, JetBlue777!  
Quoting Checo77 (Reply 25):
My worst airline I flew on is probably AA.
Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 27):
I've had my good and bad, but I've seen more bad in the past few years with AA than anybody else. TERRIBLE buy on board services, disgruntled flight attendants, poor cabin condition, and lastly stubborn and conservative upper managment.

Right after I posted it!  

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 27):
I've had better experiences with UA than AA if you can believe that.

Well, UA has economy plus and a lot of a.netters are huge fans of UA, I can't even count how many a.netters have UA on their username  
Quoting Checo77 (Reply 29):
Especially DL

I also find DL putting an effort to please their customers which is great. I love their over all branding, their FAs are friendly, IFE is good but it would be nice if its available on A/C, WiFi (Free during Holidays and Facebook is also free, IDK if they still have it now) Their SkyMag, ATL Base are great and they tend to be the cheapest option on domestic flights.

Though we try to avoid legacy carriers unless we travel using our FF miles and go with the LCCs (VX, B6, WN, etc) as their service and product is consistent and chances are you're never going to have any problem with them.
It's a cultural thing.

blueflyer

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:08 pm

It's hard to put an absolute worst, if only because I patronize some carriers a lot more than others, so statistically speaking, that gives them many more opportunities to screw up (or very few opportunities to make up for a bad flight).

One such carrier is Air India. Flew them thrice, not about to do it again. From pre-flight to in-flight to post-flight, the service was horrible!

My single worst customer service experience came from a US gate agent at LAS, however. My travel companion of the day is walking with a gate-checked assisting device, part of which was missing upon getting off the plane. Despite my specific request to have the ramp agents check the hold, the gate agent wouldn't do anything other than tell us to go to the luggage counter, and her attitude made it very clear she didn't give a damn. Of course, when we got there, the first thing the luggage counter employee asked us was whether we mentioned that at the gate so they could have the hold inspected... A perfect example in how one person can ruin an otherwise excellent flight (the US crew in First is very good).

On the technical side, the worst airline would have to be AA. I hate the MD80s, too many late or canceled flights to be willing to put up with them again. I do fly AA from time to time when I can't avoid it, but only if no MD80 is involved. AA has no chance of seeing me as a regular customer until the last of the dogs is gone (and no, I do not use dogs as an endearing word for these flying pieces of crap).
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

tommy767

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:10 pm

Quoting JetBlue777 (Reply 30):

Right after I posted it!

It's a darn shame because I recall an AA of the late 1990s which was very premium, even in Y.

Quoting JetBlue777 (Reply 30):
I also find DL putting an effort to please their customers which is great. I love their over all branding, their FAs are friendly, IFE is good but it would be nice if its available on A/C, WiFi (Free during Holidays and Facebook is also free, IDK if they still have it now) Their SkyMag, ATL Base are great and they tend to be the cheapest option on domestic flights.

Delta is my preferred airline and they've only failed me once or twice. Once for weather related crap in SLC another for the ground staff at EWR, which were downright hostile to me about taking a slightly oversized bag through security (offered no help and there were no redcoasts to be found.)

Also I'll give an honorable mention to Continental as well, mainly back in the mid/late 1990s when I was forced to fly them. Let me tell you -- there was once a time where they were a step behind everybody else.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

fixfox

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:55 pm

In the Middle-East, Syrian Air is to be avoided by all means.
In Europe, Air France whether the flight is intra-European or long-haul, but this also due to the fact that they hub over CDG.....

shamrock604

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:16 pm

Quoting fixfox (Reply 33):
In Europe, Air France whether the flight is intra-European or long-haul, but this also due to the fact that they hub over CDG.....

Never a single problem with AF.

In my opinion, some of Europe's best cabin crews and catering.

BD338

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:33 am

Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 11):
Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 13):
In more modern times, US Airways takes it. Over the past 20 years I've probably only had once nice flight with them
Quoting OA260 (Reply 17):
Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 20):
Yup, It seems US gets the top spot!
Quoting SW733 (Reply 21):
However, with regards to an airline in the developed world that I simply will never, ever fly again after a few terrible flights (including giving it two "second chances") is US Airways

I am just going to add to the chorus of disapproval against US Airways. While the onboard product is average at best, it is often difficult to differentiate between US carriers in Y at least, I really rate airlines on how they deal with problems, delays and interruptions, and US ranks so low on that list you can't even see them in the small print.

My last 4 flights with US have ended in some kind of problem but after my latest fiasco with US Airways, 4 days late in arriving at my destination due to a litany of errors, (including a mechanical problem) and when I write claiming extra costs incurred through their actions (first time I had ever complained to US) I get a letter back stating they have no record of any mechanical problems and it is my responsibility to be at the gate on time. They only want to blame the customer. Actions as a result of this: 1) donated all 285,000 of my Dividend Miles to charity, 2) cancelled my US Airways credit card, 3) sold the few US shares I held. 4) Now firmly committed to WN for US domestic and DL for international. It will be a very very long time before US Airways gets another cent of my money.

initious

Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:41 am

Quoting initious (Reply 5):
My worst would be without a shadow China Southern Airlines.

Having said that, I chose CZ again for my SWA (Shantou) to Guangzhou flight as they are the only airline flying that route and it's with a Boeing 737-300, a new addition to my log. The flight is just 30nm longer than SIN-KUL so I hope I will survive.  
One way I will fly around the world!

sw733

Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:44 am

Quoting fixfox (Reply 33):
Air France whether the flight is intra-European or long-haul, but this also due to the fact that they hub over CDG.....

Interesting...I must admit I have only flown them a few times, all "longhaul" (i.e. - shortest was Paris to North Africa), but I have enjoyed AF. CDG, though not my favorite, is not bad for O&D. Connections aren't terrible in my mind.

AR385

Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:54 pm

I do not know about Y but Air France long haul C and F products are up there with LH and BA. In fact, I´ll venture to say that in C, it is better than LH, at least until LH revamps its C cabin. I never fail to fly them if I have to go to France. They´re my first choice.

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:24 pm

Without a doubt it's UA for me. Only flown them once, and I never will fly them again (at least by choice). The one and only time I flew UA, my golf clubs and golf bag were taken right out of the travel case, and the travel case was sent on it's way to my destination. Yet the extra pair of running shoes that was in the same main compartment as the golf bag made it. Hmmmm....

Since the merger with NW, I have found the cabin crews to not be quite as friendly, but still overall among the best. And the rest of DL's employees are the best in my experience, especially the CSA's. DL is the only airline where I've had the CSA's address me by my military rank upon seeing my ID card when I check-in. I'm not saying I expect it or that I get mad or upset if people don't - it's just a nice touch I've gotten on DL that I haven't elsewhere.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

9v-svc

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:41 am

The worst airline that I have flown on so far:

Lion Airlines

Service is that bad, that cabin crews were seen taking naps while landing, chit-chatting throughout the flight without going around serving water, no smiles on my both outbound and inbound. Looking at the faces of the crews, they didn't seem happy to be working at all.
Airliners is the wings of my life.

LDIkaros

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:56 am

I have flown quite a few airlines and have experienced both bad and good flights with pretty much every airline I have used multiple times.

However, if I had to choose an airline as the worst for me then it would have to be UA. It was initially my airline of choice between Europe and the US and also within the US. However, about 10 years ago I noticed a marked decline in service quality. My last flight with them, in 1998 from SFO to LHR, ranks as the worst trans-Atlantic flight ever - inedible food, minimal cabin service, dirty plane, etc...

Still, I can imagine worse things than what I experienced on UA.

Gemuser

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:07 am

Sorry if there is already a thread like this I couldn't find, but I would like to know what the worst airline (i.e. customer service, comfort, ticketing, staff friendliness, etc.) that you have flown on?

My worst flight, on a major world airline, would be EK SYD-BKK-DXB. Comfort - terriable, I don't care what others say, those 10 abreast B777s are to be avoided at all costs; customer service (on board) some sector were great, some were the worst with crew I would call amature, special meals screwed up all over the aircraft, dinner trays, with not used coffee/tea cups collected BEFORE coffee/tea served (no they didn't bring cups with them, the only people who got any were those who kept theirs, made for a verry quick service! Staff were very helpful, just incompedent. Ticketing screwed up, but that COULD have been the travel agent rather than EK.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

jetfuel

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:45 am

Quoting gemuser (Reply 42):
hose 10 abreast B777s are to be avoided at all costs

I agree 100%. Nz is now on my no fly list
Where's the passion gone out of the airline industry? The smell of jetfuel and the romance of taking a flight....

vhqpa

Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:05 am

The worst I've experienced was a couple of years ago flying business on LAN from AKL-SYD. A few months out I needed to change dates and add my QF frequent flyer number. I got redirected to Santiago to an agent who couldn't speak much english who hung up on me. I called back and luckily got an agent who could change my flights. I had mixed feelings about the actual flight. My bags didn't get any form of priority tags the crew and the hard product were great however the meal was very cold. upon arriving at SYD there was a delay unloading bags mine was one of the last to arrive an hour after I stepped off the aircraft. Upon receiving my bag I noticed the handle on my bag was damaged (not their fault). When I got home I noticed I wasn't credited the FF points or SC credits After a week I called QF (a few times) who told me they will rectify the problem they didn't I ended up not worrying about it. Again the last bit wasn't LAN's fault either.

The only other superficially negative experience was a few years ago when I booked a Tiger (Australia) flight online I chose the option for seat selection but no seat selection screen came up. afterwards I went back into our booking clicked on seat selection it wanted another $30 which we had already paid. I then called them on a 039 Melbourne number. It was constantly engaged after getting through 45 mins later they could see we had paid the fee and we able to take our seat assignments. Coming back a flight attendant with a attitude told mum she had to put her magazine in the overhead locker for landing even tough it was no larger then their inflight magazine which was really weird. but aside from that they took the three of us OOL-MEL-OOL on the same days that they were meant to for a total of $150.

The bulk of my flights have been on either Qantas and Virgin Blue and I have had Mostly good experiences as well as a couple of mediocre ones. I have flown on most of the Australian and Kiwi airlines at one point or another and I find the regional airlines Qantaslink, Regional Express, Skytrans, Mount Cook Airline to be better on average then the main airlines. Regional Express and Skytrans have both served me a snack + a mint on 20 minute sectors before.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

ZKNCL

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:02 am

Quoting jetfuel (Reply 43):

Wow, I'm just not even going to reply to that because you have not flown them but complaining about them...

My list:

4. US
3. AF
2. EZ
1. AA

Gemuser

Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:48 am

Quoting ZKNCL (Reply 45):
Quoting jetfuel (Reply 43):

Wow, I'm just not even going to reply to that because you have not flown them but complaining about them.

YES, JUST because they have 10 abreast on a B777, they are also on my no fly list (in B777s) as is AF (which is a pity as my flight on there B744 last year was very good) and ANY carrier with the evil things.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

n88kb

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:52 am

I don't have a worst airline but have had some bad experiences. I flew UA SFO-SYD a few years back on full flight in Y. Never again! Rude Crew and of course no PTVs and before Ipods! That is 14.5 hours I don't want to experience again! But this was the flight and not UA. Have flown UA domestically and they were great.
There is one Australian airline that I haven't and never will fly. Guess which one?

Cheers,

N88KB

mal787

Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:36 am

Virgin Blue, I had the misfurtune of 2 flights with them, 1st Brisbane Adelaide, cabin crew incompetent, I asked for a Bourbon & cola and got a Vodka & Pineapple as " we are out of bourbon, & this is the closest we have available". buy a coffee or tea waters cold. 2nd Darwin to Perth no hot breakfast availabe for purchase , but you can have an egg & lettuce sandwich, yep just what i want at 6.30 am for breakfast, then cabin crew decide to play hide & seek with a small child running up and down the aisle like a demented chicken.The girls who book my flights now know not to put me on them again even if it means i pay for a nights accom to catch a real airline the next day

mal787
BN2 Metro, 402,404, Conquest, king air, 707,727.200, 732,733,734,735,736,738,757,762,763,742,743,744, MD11, DC9,Westwind

MillwallSean

Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:50 am

Thats a difficult question but here is my subjective list.

My honour for worst airline goes to Biman bangladesh.
Flight a few hours late, none of the decant Bangla service whatsoever, the worst ground organisation I have seen. Avoid at all costs.

Per continent
Asia - Biman overall winner but followed by Air India and then Kuwait airlines.
North America - DL followed by AA
Europe - SK with KL and LO getting honourable mentions.
Oceania - NZ no one else is really bad. How NZ can rank high in some tests is beyond me, or not really since seeing the demohraphics that answer such tests.
South America - LAN and Aerolinas Argentinas. Two real bad service airlines. Whn taking LA across the Tasman I tend tend to wish I was on Jetstar instead. Says it all really.

The other continents I havent flown enough times in to pass a reasonable judgement.
I dont understand this AF bashing one of the best out there for me makes me wonder sometimes when i look at it and flags next to it.

Same I know that Adam Air used to be an awfully run airline but having taken it a few times the service and staff were always good. Same goes for LionAir although I tend to avoid them after reading the to seldomly updated Indonesia thread.
No One Likes Us - We Dont Care.