EBGflyer
Topic Author

Visa Required For Connection In Moscow SVO?

Sun May 01, 2011 11:12 am

I'm thinking about going on a quick trip to Hong Kong and found a really cheap ticket with Aeroflot with connection in SVO. Is visa to Russia required for connection in SVO or can I change flights without going through immigration?

I have a Danish passport.

Regards,

EBGflyer
Future flights: CPH-BKK-MNL; MNL-GUM-TKK-PNI-KSA-KWA-MAJ-HNL-LAX

PlymSpotter

RE: Visa Required For Connection In Moscow SVO?

Sun May 01, 2011 11:37 am

You can spend up to 24 hours in SVO airport without needing a visa, so long as you have an onward connection. IIRC the EU-HKG transfer time is quite reasonable and SU offer a good product these days, so I'd take it with both hands.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Pe@rson

Sun May 01, 2011 1:00 pm

While around 8 years ago, I flew LHR-SVO-DEL (including on the IL9) and did not need a visa. Based on what PlymSpotter has stated, it appears not to have changed - which is unsurprising.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Lufthansa747

Sun May 01, 2011 8:34 pm

Not required for SU transfers as stated above. I have a 23h transfer HEL-SVO-HKG in June.

However, there is no airside transfer between SVO1 and SVO2 and in that case a visa is required I believe.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

Birdwatching

Sun May 01, 2011 9:02 pm

What a lucrative opportunity for luring 1-day city tourists Russia is wasting here by requiring a visa to leave the airport building.
There are entire tourism industries in other places that have evolved based on these 24-hour stopover visitors (like Singapore, Hong Kong or Reykjavik).

Just give the people a 1-day visa, what's the big deal. It's not like we're all trying to seek permanent residency in Russia, out of all places.

Oh well, in my many years of travels I have learned that the lest desirable countries are most difficult or expensive to get a visa for.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

PlymSpotter

Sun May 01, 2011 9:57 pm

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 3):
Not required for SU transfers as stated above. I have a 23h transfer HEL-SVO-HKG in June.

Ouch, I had a 17 hour layover there once. I was in C for once so could use the lounge and net, but time still dragged.

However, there is no airside transfer between SVO1 and SVO2 and in that case a visa is required I believe.

I'm not entirely sure, but I got the feeling it might have been possible when I was there this time last year.

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 4):
What a lucrative opportunity for luring 1-day city tourists Russia is wasting here by requiring a visa to leave the airport building.

So true, I've transited SVO four or five times but never been into the city.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Viscount724

Mon May 02, 2011 12:10 am

Yes, the Timatic system (many airlines have links to it on their websites...I used CO), the primary database (maintained by IATA) used by airlines for passport/visa/health requirements, states that if changing terminals at SVO you do need a transit visa. It's considered the same as connecting from another airport.

OA260

Mon May 02, 2011 5:58 am

Very true I flew SNN-SVO-DEL years ago and had 10 hours transit. I really wanted to see Red Square so got a transit visa at the Russian Embassy in Dublin. It was a hassle but worth it. Id travel more to Moscow if I didnt need a visa. Having to get visas puts me off alot of places. I dont mind paying EUR20 or EUR30 on arrival for a visa its just the hassle of visiting embassies.

Aeroflot777

Mon May 02, 2011 6:11 am

Oh well, in my many years of travels I have learned that the lest desirable countries are most difficult or expensive to get a visa for.

Interesting you say that. In my entire life, Ive only met 4 people (now including you) who have labeled Russia as 'least desirable'. To each his own...

Aeroflot777

CXfirst

Mon May 02, 2011 8:07 am

I have a similar question. What if you have to transfer using two different tickets (so you need to collect bags, etc.), and whats the situation at DME, similar to SVO?

-CXfirst

debonair

Mon May 02, 2011 10:33 am

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 9):
I have a similar question. What if you have to transfer using two different tickets (so you need to collect bags, etc.), and whats the situation at DME, similar to SVO?

Have a closer look: http://www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/transfer/info/

Lufthansa747

Wed May 04, 2011 1:37 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 5):
Ouch, I had a 17 hour layover there once. I was in C for once so could use the lounge and net, but time still dragged.

I have AF/KL FB Platinum thanks to their status match so I plan staying in the lounge as well.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

Severnaya

Mon May 09, 2011 1:18 pm

There is no SVO-1 anymore. This is now called SVO-B and next to it is SVO-C. However these terminals are not used that much. I think only Avianova and Belavia use SVO-B nowadays. SVO-C is in use for Ukraine and some turkey/egypt/afghanistan flights. SVO-D/E/F (the former SVO-2, plus new terminals) has an airside connection area.

Just give the people a 1-day visa, what's the big deal. It's not like we're all trying to seek permanent residency in Russia, out of all places.

The big deal is that for Russians the other way around is true as well, so yes it's just retaliation from depending what your point of view is either Russia or the other countries.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 6):
states that if changing terminals at SVO you do need a transit visa.

That depends very much on changing between which terminals. D->E/F you don't need a visa.

Just check this page, it can't get easier: http://www.svo.aero/en/transit/rules/
Всяк глядит, да не всяк видит.

Birdwatching

Tue May 10, 2011 9:24 am

Quoting Severnaya (Reply 12):
The big deal is that for Russians the other way around is true as well, so yes it's just retaliation from depending what your point of view is either Russia or the other countries.

Yes but obviously there are more Russians trying to escape Russia into countries like Germany or the US than the other way around. Correct?

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

Severnaya

Tue May 10, 2011 2:57 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 13):
Yes but obviously there are more Russians trying to escape Russia into countries like Germany or the US than the other way around. Correct?

So? That doesn't change the fact that if Germany or the US require Russian citizens to have a transit visa, Russia is perfectly right to ask the same from the citizens from those countries.

Russia has repeatedly offered to abolish the visa regime, both to the Schengen zone and to the US, however very little progress is coming from Schengen countries and the US.

Countries such as Germany, Finland, Italy, Czech Republic, Hungary and France are strong supporters of the abolishing of the visa requirement for Russians. On the other hand some small eastern countries such as Poland strongly oppose this.

Next time a European wonders why he needs a visa for Russia (I'm not going to live there, blah bla), please don't point the finger to Russia, but to your fellow eastern European Union members.  
Всяк глядит, да не всяк видит.