rgr8apples
Topic Author

Best To Nonrev On JFK - LHR?

Sat May 14, 2011 1:20 am

I hate to beat a dead horse here but I need to make a decision soon and I'd like some input.
First let me say that I'm new here. Second I'll say that I've done some research on this topic here and I haven't found any recent related topics.
I am going to fly nonrev (ZED) the end of this month JFK to LHR. My choices that will work with me are as follows:
VS (ZED L), DL (ZED M), AA (ZED M).
Which would you prefer as an OAL nonreving on one of these? The ZED L cost would be $300 and the ZED M cost $335.
Right now I am leaning towards VS pretty much just because of the price.
I know DL upgrades for employees, family and buddies but do they upgrade for OALs as well?
What about AA? How are they as far as OAL upgrade and treatment in general?
It probably doesn't matter but I work for B6 and we treat OALs well as we allow OAL inflight to jumpseat on us which I hear is unique to B6 and one other domestic (can't remember who now). Obviously this would not effect VS at all but AA and DL crews certainly benefit on this one sided perk. I would hope that in return these OAL employees would treat us B6ers well.
So back to the question at hand... Who should I choose?

Oh and another thought here would be to ZED L on the return leg and use a DL buddy pass on the way over. The cost of JFK to LHR ZEDL is approx $68 and the cost of the buddy pass would be approx $145. Double the cost but just about guaranteed Business Elite with a buddy pass...

toobz

RE: Best To Nonrev On JFK - LHR?

Sat May 14, 2011 7:02 pm

Yes DL has a very generous upgrade policy for employees. I would say if there was room in C, after all DL non revs boarded, then yes I would imagine the agents working the flight would issue you J.
However not guaranteed but i have many many times seen other airline employees sitting in J.
Last time I chatted with a SV captain that was sitting behind me in J from CDG-ATL.
I wish you the best of luck! DL 764s are a very nice ride up front

fxramper

Sat May 14, 2011 8:49 pm

The airline that doesn't treat you like a non-rev after reading the manifest.   

bobnwa

Mon May 16, 2011 12:05 pm

Quoting rgr8apples (Thread starter):
Obviously this would not effect VS at all but AA and DL crews certainly benefit on this one sided perk. I would hope that in return these OAL employees would treat us B6ers well.

The the DL employees that would be boarding you, are not in-flight and do not have access to your jump seats, that policy would be of no benefit to them so I do not think they would give preference to a B6 employee any other airlines employee. That being said DL is very generous with its upgrades to OAL. but if they favor one airline over the other, it would be a SkyTeam airline.

lhr380

Mon May 16, 2011 4:03 pm

I did not know B6 could Sby with BA until I got chatting to one checking him in in Flight Connections in T5.

Nice Chap.

Shame we don't seem to have it the other way round  
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

rgr8apples
Topic Author

Mon May 16, 2011 11:29 pm

Quoting lhr380 (Reply 4):
Shame we don't seem to have it the other way round  

Really? I didn't realize that BA couldn't ZED on B6. That makes no sense to me. Why would an airline offer something without receiving anything in return? Sorry to hear that.

Quoting toobz (Reply 1):
I would say if there was room in C, after all DL non revs boarded, then yes I would imagine the agents working the flight would issue you J.

Thanks for your info toobz. So now my dilemma is whether to go ahead and take a chance with a ZED fare R/T or to use a Buddy Pass one the way over and ZED on the way back. (Getting sleep on the overnight flight would be key for me) The price difference between a ZED fare and a Buddy Pass fare is huge. ZED R/T would be $335 and with a Buddy Pass it would be about $200 more! I flew on a buddy pass with DL from JFK to MAD and sat comfortably up front so I do know that it is certainly comfortable. (great service from the FAs btw, especially knowing that I was a non-rev)

Oh the dilemma!

Oh and BTW, are any or all of DL's flights between JFK and LHR configured with lay flats in J?

Thanks

toobz

Tue May 17, 2011 6:19 am

Yes JFK-LHR are on the 764. These all have very comfortable lie flats.