Yflyer
Topic Author

My First Elite Status...

Tue May 31, 2011 9:43 pm

I'm one of those people who typically only flies a few times a year, so I always figured I didn't have much hope of ever getting elite status on any carrier, nor did I much care about it. But thanks to the fact that my company sent me to India last year plus one more domestic flight I actually have Premier status on United now. Of course, being an "a few times a year" flier, I won't actually get to take advantage of that status until this summer, when I'll be taking a vacation in Alaska. I have to admit I have this slight fear in the back of my head that I'm going to commit some sort of newbie faux pas, like trying to ask for something my status level doesn't actually entitle me to. So I'm trying to make sure I'm clear on what my Premier status gets me and what it doesn't.

From the looks of it, I get to use the priority check-in line at the ticket counter, but not the priority boarding line at the gate, correct? I take it that's only for the higher elite levels? Is that the same on both United and Continental flights?

Since my flights to and from ANC are operated by Continental, I'm a little dissapointed that I won't get Economy Plus, and it looks like all the exit row and bulkhead seats are already taken. Do they save those seats for people with higher elite levels until a ceartian number of days before the flights? That is, if I keep checking is there a chance those seats will open up later? I know I probably shouldn't hold my breath expecting an upgrade to first (particularly on the SEA-SFO leg of my return).

jgw787

RE: My First Elite Status...

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:48 am

Quoting Yflyer (Thread starter):
Do they save those seats for people with higher elite levels until a ceartian number of days before the flights?

Well UA saves all the exit rows on the 757 for sure for elite levels above premier...i think they do the same for every plane too but not sure

InnocuousFox

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:48 am

So I'm trying to make sure I'm clear on what my Premier status gets me and what it doesn't.

May I suggest looking on their website under the "Mileage Plus" area -- specifically where it says what Premier Elite gets? I'm Premier Elite as well... it's not a big secret or guessing game.

Specifically, however:
Free Econ+
Free upgrades to FC when available (but you are in line for those upgrades behind higher level folks)
Priority security line where avail (
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

InnocuousFox

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:49 am

So I'm trying to make sure I'm clear on what my Premier status gets me and what it doesn't.

May I suggest looking on their website under the "Mileage Plus" area -- specifically where it says what Premier Elite gets? I'm Premier Elite as well... it's not a big secret or guessing game.

Specifically, however:
Free Econ+
Free upgrades to FC when available (but you are in line for those upgrades behind higher level folks)
Priority security line where avail (this rules!)
Priority boarding (seating area 1)
Mileage bonus on each flight
Free checked bags
Cute puppy with a bow upon return from your trip (while supplies last)

RyanairGuru

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:30 am

In a not unrelated question, what do CO OnePass Gold Elite members get on UA now? Is it the same as MileagePlus Premier Executive?

It's just my mum (CO Gold) is flying UA for the first time next month...
Worked Hard, Flew Right

aklrno

Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:13 am

Quoting InnocuousFox (Reply 3):
Specifically, however:
Free Econ+
Priority security line where avail (this rules!)
Priority boarding (seating area 1)
Mileage bonus on each flight
Free checked bags
Cute puppy with a bow upon return from your trip (while supplies last)

I've been premier elite for years now. I was wondering why there seemed to be another dog here every time I got back home.

InnocuousFox

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:23 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 5):
I've been premier elite for years now. I was wondering why there seemed to be another dog here every time I got back home.

If you fly on a UA Airbus, you can occasionally hear them barking in the baggage compartment.  

alsberg

Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:54 pm

particularly on the SEA-SFO leg of my return

Not to get your hopes down, but SFO is rare for upgrades unless you are a 1k or GS member, SFO has the biggest UA base of these I'm pretty sure.

deltairlines

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:21 am

All UA and CO elites can now use the priority boarding lane - it's one of the improvements Continental brought to United.

Boarding areas aren't used anymore either; it's by rows. Boarding goes:

First Class, Presidential Platinum, Platinum, 1K and Global Services (all over the carpet)
Elites (UA, CO, Star) over the carpet
Rows back-to-front (over the general boarding lane)

Any elite can now (fortunately) use the priority boarding lane if they are late to the gate for boarding.

InnocuousFox

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:34 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 8):
Boarding areas aren't used anymore either; it's by rows.

When did THIS change? It certainly wasn't like this as of mid-April (and I'll be flying again next Monday to find out). UA was using the typical 3 or 4 zone method.

jgw787

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:38 am

Quoting alsberg (Reply 7):
Not to get your hopes down, but SFO is rare for upgrades unless you are a 1k or GS member, SFO has the biggest UA base of these I'm pretty sure.

I think ORD has a bigger elite base but yah SFO is big.

deltairlines

Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:57 am

Quoting InnocuousFox (Reply 9):
When did THIS change? It certainly wasn't like this as of mid-April (and I'll be flying again next Monday to find out). UA was using the typical 3 or 4 zone method.

Sometime around May 10.

alsberg

Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:14 am

Quoting jgw787 (Reply 10):

I think ORD has a bigger elite base but yah SFO is big.

I'm not sure of the numbers, but I've had much better luck with upgrades on flights from ORD than from SFO on similar aircraft type.

InnocuousFox

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:48 pm

One of my 2 free F upgrades this year was OMA-DEN-SFO. I even got to keep it after I was bumped back 3 flights due to a delay. (The other was OMA-ORD.)

Yflyer
Topic Author

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Quoting alsberg (Reply 7):

I assume my best chance for an upgrade would be on ANC-SEA, as those are probablty probably big AS frequent flier bases, although I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much for any upgrades.

For those interested, my flights are SMF-SFO-ANC and ANC-SEA-SFO-SMF (I couldn't do ANC-SFO for the return because the tour operator advised up not to book any flights before 8pm on the last day.)

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 8):
All UA and CO elites can now use the priority boarding lane - it's one of the improvements Continental brought to United.

Good to know. (And if I may point out, something that wasn't mentioned on united.com...)

bananaboy

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:02 am

Boarding by zones is being reintroduced on 8th June.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rns-less-announcements-8-june.html

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

InnocuousFox

Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:24 am

Quoting bananaboy (Reply 15):
Boarding by zones is being reintroduced on 8th June.

Bleh... I fly tomorrow and then on the 10th. I get one of each.

I also get to see the two different seat numbering schemes since those change mid-week as well. (Although I won't see much since I sit in E+.)