jcs17
Topic Author

Business Class On AF's CityJet And Regional?

Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:28 am

I was looking at blowing some SkyMiles on a business class ticket between NYC-CDG-OSL-CDG-DUB-CDG-NYC in March (want to do some skiing, visit Oslo, and go to Dublin over St. Patrick's). Of course, the OSL-CDG-DUB would be purchased, but I'm wondering what's the deal with CityJet and Regional offering me Premium Voyageur instead of Affaires. Does business class not exist on the E90s and AR8s?
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

BestWestern

RE: Business Class On AF's CityJet And Regional?

Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:13 am

Business class does exist on the AR8, so surprised that they are offering you Premium Y. The only difference is there is no middle seat free in Premium. Because of the excellent network Skyteam has out of Paris, tThe WX service to Dublin has very very high loads, so could be that J is not available.

Can I propose that you change your routing and fly DL direct to Dublin and save yourself a fortune in taxes.

DUB OSL fares are really cheap thanks to competition, especially if booked well in advance. Norwegian, SAS and Ryanair ply the route.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

bcbhokie

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:08 am

Before assuming you have to pay for OSL-CDG-DUB yourself, check with Delta first. The fare rules for award business tickets are very permissive and you may be able to include the intra-Europe flights for free by counting OSL as an included stopover.

These aircraft have no dedicated business class cabin - premium affaires service is a blocked middle seat and an upgraded meal service, nothing more. Worthwhile if you're getting it free on an award ticket, very much not if you're paying yourself.

Finally, try to avoid flying DL across the pond to Dublin if at all possible - you'll be stuck on an ancient 767-300, and if you're splurging for business class it's absolutely, positively the wrong airplane to do it on. JFK-CDG on Air France will be much better (although I've heard the A380 business class experience isn't ideal due to the large size of the cabin, the seat will at least be a vast improvement over DL's 763 fleet.)

BestWestern

Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:48 am

Quoting BCBHokie (Reply 2):
Finally, try to avoid flying DL across the pond to Dublin if at all possible - you'll be stuck on an ancient 767-300, and if you're splurging for business class it's absolutely, positively the wrong airplane to do it on.

Direct is so much more convenient vs one stop - especially if in transit via CDG, you fly over dublin 4 hours before you get there.

Other suggestion is DL to LHR on the 764, and a back track.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

shamrock604

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:02 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 3):
Direct is so much more convenient vs one stop - especially if in transit via CDG, you fly over dublin 4 hours before you get there.

Other suggestion is DL to LHR on the 764, and a back track.

Only the later flight on Wed and Thu evenings to DUB is 763 operated. The regular daily flight is on a 752.

goldorak

Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:46 am

Quoting jcs17 (Thread starter):
Does business class not exist on the E90s and AR8s?

No C class on the Regional E90. Only Y. Premium Eco is the "premium" service in Y for AF European flights

Rufusisgod

Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:52 am

I wouldn't bother using miles for J class on the ERJ's or Avros. I use the service now and again and it's really not up to scratch. You'll be handed a box with some food and offered a drink. Y class get a sandwich and free drinks at 1/2 the price.
Last time i flew WX i paid €800 for a one way flight CDG-DUB and they moved Y pax into the J cabin beside me. I haven't used the service since.