MNMncrcnwjr
Topic Author

Oversized Carry-on Fees?

Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:31 pm

Gate house announcement in MSP last evening indicated that DL was going to start charging for Oversized Carry-ons that needed to be White tagged to your final destination... Haven't seen any Press Release lately... I did get an email about the cooperation with TSA at Atlanta and Detroit for selected Frequent Flyers coming this Fall...

I know this will assist in the carry-on mess that is the current situation ... But If it is oversized .. Why isn't someone checking Before T&A?
CV340/580DC3DC9super80MD88/90DC10717273747576777A319/20CRJ2/7/9F27AVROJET31CITAT5/7/XSAAB340YS11Dash8E135/45/75

copter808

RE: Oversized Carry-on Fees?

Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:48 pm

More importantly, why is TSA involved at all? Have they now become the "size police" as well?

fanofjets

Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 pm

The new $25 per bag fee brings back distant memories of PeoplExpress, with college students trying to cram huge suitcases into the Boeing 737 overhead bins. History repeats itself 30 years later!  
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Robert M. Campbell
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tim Chaloner

The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

wwtraveler99

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Quoting copter808 (Reply 1):
More importantly, why is TSA involved at all? Have they now become the "size police" as well?

Because they are the ones who limited everyone to 1 + 1. The reason was too many bags at the check point slowed things down. But I don't think they ever enforce the rule at the check point. I see people with 3, 4 and 5 bags all the time.

WW

BD338

Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:41 pm

Quoting MNMncrcnwjr (Thread starter):
Gate house announcement in MSP last evening indicated that DL was going to start charging for Oversized Carry-ons that needed to be White tagged to your final destination

Excellent. I suggest 3X the regular checked bag fee and no exceptions for frequent fliers. I am constantly amazed at the size of carry ons that airlines allow onto flights, and I've noticed it's not just the leisure crowd who bring on the proverbial kitchen sink.

On a related note, suit carriers should just be banned all together. Oversized, bin space hogs and then their owners treat anyone trying to move them around in the bin to fit their own bag in as practically sworn enemies bent on destroying their clothes. (rant over)

RamblinMan

Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Does "white-tagged" mean gate-checked?

Because I had better not be charged for my perfectly compliant rollaboard just because I happened to be at the end of the boarding queue and the bins were already full.

Quoting BD338 (Reply 4):
Excellent. I suggest 3X the regular checked bag fee and no exceptions for frequent fliers. I am constantly amazed at the size of carry ons that airlines allow onto flights, and I've noticed it's not just the leisure crowd who bring on the proverbial kitchen sink.

I wish airlines would address the real issue... you now pay for the privilege of checking bags but they still get abused, lost, and stolen...and it still sometimes takes 45 minutes to claim them after landing.