milemaster
Topic Author

VX At DFW

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:17 pm

So I've decided to give Virgin America a go in a couple weeks DFW-SFO after hearing my wife sing the praises of her DFW-LAX flight. I was quite surprised to see how full the flights were considering both AA/UA offer direct service to SFO from DFW. Anyone have any feedback on the overall performance of the SFO/LAX flights? Would love to see some additional growth beyond their single gate.. Preferably BOS.

It didn't hurt that the fare was 259.00 R/T including taxes which is remarkably inexpensive compared to what I'm usually paying for that flight.  

DFWHeavy

RE: VX At DFW

Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:26 pm

I'm in the same boat you are. I just booked DFW-LAX on VX for a weekend in September. They were the cheapest and I can't wait to try their amazing product. I hope they are doing well. Does anyone have any concrete numbers and if they plan on adding any destinations for frequency?
Christopher W Slovacek

jetblue32

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:34 pm

I don't have any numbers right off, but I heard their DFW flights are near the top in their route network for yields and profitability. AA didn't put up as much of a fight as I expected, probably due to their heavy losses and weakened financial position. I hope to see VX come to IAH or AUS soon, but they will face stiffer competition from carriers who are doing much better financially (mainly WN at AUS, UA/CO at IAH), should they choose to give either one a go.

LAXintl

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:46 pm

Here are the total boardings at DFW for VX.
If anyone can figure out the number of movements they had each month, should be easy to determine their LF.

Jan - 7,831
Feb - 7,810
Mar - 10,829
Apr - 15,622
May - 19,304
Jun - 21,299

From what I hear anecdotaly is the service has proved popular and quite well received.
They must be doing something right as AA has had to maintain $99-129 fares this entire summer.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

DFWHeavy

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:56 pm

DFW-LAX and DFW-SFO each have 3 Round Trips Daily. A morning, Mid-Day and Late Afternoon flight. Works out really well.
Christopher W Slovacek

mogandoCI

Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:00 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 3):
From what I hear anecdotaly is the service has proved popular and quite well received.
They must be doing something right as AA has had to maintain $99-129 fares this entire summer.

rather impressive considering it's cornerstone-to-cornerstone attack on AA from a small NB-only minimal-FF airline

which begs the question - does VX hurt UA or AA more ?

DFWHeavy

Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:10 pm

It would hurt AA more I tend to believe.
Christopher W Slovacek