industrybuff
Topic Author

AA Upgrades At Checkin Kiosk

Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:56 am

Hi All

Very hypothetically.. If I was to buy the cheapest fare class on AA from say ORD to LAX, on a tuesday. and the flight was full, is it likely I could be offered an upgrade from the self service KIOSK to First class for a fee ?

Ie upgrade from cheapest Q class fare to F ?

If you have experience with this, I would love to hear from you ... How full it was, how much extra you were charged ?

Many thanks for reading
Industrybuff

Longhornmaniac

RE: AA Upgrades At Checkin Kiosk

Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:19 pm

I suppose stranger things have happened, but I can almost guarantee you that on that route, by the time all the elites have been accommodated, your chances of getting a kiosk upgrade are just a little better than 0.

But yes, you can be offered a kiosk upgrade from any discounted fare, whether it's O, Q, or N, on up.

I haven't noticed any particular pattern in Y for when I've been offered a kiosk upgrade. Obviously, there was room in F, but I don't know about Y.

Generally speaking, you'll see this sort of order with upgrades:

-Exec Plat, 100 hours out
-Platinum, 48 hours out (I think)
-Gold, 24 hours out

Day of Departure:

-Elite Op ups
-kiosk upgrades

I would actually say you're more likely to get a kiosk upgrade offer if neither cabin is full, but that's based on nothing but semi-anecdotal evidence.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

MAH4546

Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:42 am

Extremely unlikely if on ORDLAX, but if offered it will be $180 regardless of your fare bucket.
a.

sw733

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 1):
on that route, by the time all the elites have been accommodated, your chances of getting a kiosk upgrade are just a little better than 0.

- I would agree with this 110%. On what is basically a hub-to-hub flight with likely at least a couple fare paying premium passengers on top of tons of high ranking AAdvantage customers, your odds are...well, not good to say the least. I regularly see upgrade standby lists on ORD-LAX-ORD of 30+ people.

-Platinum, 48 hours out (I think)

72, I think

tcasalert

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:53 pm

I would actually say you're more likely to get a kiosk upgrade offer if neither cabin is full, but that's based on nothing but semi-anecdotal evidence.

I asked on SQ once and was told they only upgrade if Y is full and J/F isn't....
Next flight: Feb 2012 - BHX-CPH-BHX - SK MD87 / CRJ900

Lufthansa411

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:20 am

Quoting TCASAlert (Reply 4):
I asked on SQ once and was told they only upgrade if Y is full and J/F isn't....

It is really only among US carriers that they fill the F cabin up fill. Most international airlines do not UPG unless they need to. I have been told the same thing on NH, LH, OZ, SA etc.

They see it as a prestige thing. They would rather have a half empty but more prestigious business cabin- although to be fair US carriers play by much different rules internationally.
Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.