jetblue777

US Carriers With Complimentary Meals To Hawaii?

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:12 am

We're set to fly to HNL from EWR/LGA/JFK next summer and as far as I know, most US carriers only has BOB even on 10hr+ flights.

I was doing some research and read somewhere that DL does serve complimentary meals in Y on 6hr+ flights, is this true?

I've found this on DL's website:

11:40 / 10:25 SLC-HNL Boeing 767-300 6:45hrs - Meals Available For Purchase
17:30 / 7:50 HNL-ATL AIrbus A330-300 8:20hrs- Dinner

How come the SLC-HNL flight doesn't have complimentary meals? It is over 6hrs. And what kind of "meal" would DL serve on an 8hr domestic flight to ATL?

I mean, I don't mind purchasing BOB but I'm afraid that if we'll fly on UA/CO or US, they might run out of options and 10hrs w/o food would be hell. Though buying some food at the airport is always an option, but there's something special about airline food that I really like (although it might taste bland and awful)

Do you have any personal experience? I know HA still serves some snacks on their flights, anyone can comment on that?

Thanks!
It's a cultural thing.

Viscount724

RE: US Carriers With Complimentary Meals To Hawaii

Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:59 am

Quoting jetBlue777 (Thread starter):
I was doing some research and read somewhere that DL does serve complimentary meals in Y on 6hr+ flights, is this true?

DL's website says (referring to Y class):

[i]We offer complimentary meal service on most international flights six hours or more, and on select flights to Alaska and Hawaii.

How come the SLC-HNL flight doesn't have complimentary meals? It is over 6hrs.

It's not international and apparently not one of the "select" flights to Alaska and Hawaii with meals.

HA_DC9

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:55 am

HA does offer complimentary Y meals with a premium BOB offering:
http://www.hawaiianair.com/Services/in-flight-dining/

Of course you won't be able to fly HA from your cities unless you connect somewhere to the west coast.

cvg2lga

Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:41 am

Or you could always pack snacks and food from home. I did this plenty of nights going on red-eye flights across the country. You can have nicer options than most of those around you.

Tchau

DA-
They don't call em' emergencies anymore. They call em' Patronies.

Transpac787

Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:08 pm

Do you have any personal experience? I know HA still serves some snacks on their flights, anyone can comment on that?

DL used to offer free meals in Y-class on MSP, DTW, and ATL to HNL. SLC and the west coast flights are BOB only. DL has since cut MSP/DTW to HNL, but ATL-HNL remains - as does the free meal in Y service. I've done it a few times and I was pleasantly surprised. I'd say it's comparable to the Y meals on transoceanic flights.

I don't know about CO but on the UA side, neither DEN-HNL nor ORD-HNL have free meals - they are BOB only. Same for AA on ORD-HNL and DFW-HNL.

RyanairGuru

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:43 am

I know HA still serves some snacks on their flights, anyone can comment on that?

I flew HA HNL-LAS in June and was VERY impressed. This was a dinner flight and that mean I got a really tasty pasta meal (spinach and ricotta cannelloni if I remember right) and a sticky cake thing for dessert, which was also really nice. The portions weren't huge, but it all tasted great!

Also there was a pretty-much never ending drinks service, and they had some really nice exotic juices which was a bit more creative than a tiny can of coke!

Overall I really couldn't fault HA at all.
Worked Hard, Flew Right