tcxdegsy
Topic Author

Upgrade Offers At Check-In

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:19 pm

One thing I found interesting and useful last year when I flew around US & Canada, was that AC offered special prices for available upgrade seats at the time of Online or Airport Checkin machines.

Any chance of BA offering this in the future - a great way of securing some last-minute extra revenue and filling some spare WTP/ Club/ First seats that may be spare, especially on overbooked fights. It could reduce the need for some free upgrades to squeeze in some standby Economy passengers?
next flights: BA1441 0566 0581 1446 EDI-LHR-MXP-LHR-EDI

lhr380

RE: Upgrade Offers At Check-In

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:32 pm

Quoting tcxdegsy (Thread starter):
Any chance of BA offering this in the future - a great way of securing some last-minute extra revenue and filling some spare WTP/ Club/ First seats that may be spare, especially on overbooked fights. It could reduce the need for some free upgrades to squeeze in some standby Economy passengers?

No need to do it on the SSK, its offered online when your checking in, and also when you get to the check in desks. Subject to Loads you can go up one cabin for a set fee.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

genybustrvlr

Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:15 am

This is basically free money for the airlines. Premium seats are held to as much as 3 hours before the flight, depending upon airline. The seat is going to fly empty or with a free upgrade at that point so it doesn't hurt to put it on sale for a nominal fee to help recover costs. The value varies widely. I've seen offers ranging from $50 - $700 and the various offers did not necessarily correlate to the product or flight distance.

steve6666

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:35 pm

BA have done this in the past. I remember turning up to Gatwick back in 06/07 and them offering £99 upgrades on each segment for Euro Traveller - Club Europe, and I have seen them doing this at Newark a couple of times, again back around the 05-07 time frame.

Thing is, I think BA's involuntary upgrade system (ie, only if required by Y/Y+/J being oversold) creates different incentives than those used more commonly in North America - where is seems the most senior elite will be upgraded until all seats in the front cabin is taken. If I were managing the BA system, I would not do this often - it would end up cheapening the front cabins as people used to the offer would end up buying the cabin below and pay for upgrades - at cheaper rates than the true differential between the price of each cabin - at the airport.
eu nasci ha dez mil anos atras, e nao tem nada nesse mundo que eu nao saiba demais

Birdwatching

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Quoting genybustrvlr (Reply 2):
This is basically free money for the airlines.
The seat is going to fly empty or with a free upgrade at that point so it doesn't hurt to put it on sale for a nominal fee to help recover costs.

Absolutely NOT correct. Any sort of upgrade will downgrade the premium product. Why book an expensive premium ticket when you can get it for cheap later. Of course it's "free money" in the very short run, but in the long run it makes no sense at all. Imagine you're running a food stall and in the evening when you close you give away all the leftovers (or sell them for cheap). Would anybody still buy your food in the last hour before you close? No, they'd just wait till they get it for free.

This is one of the reasons why Lufthansa is such a successful airline. because they almost never upgrade anyone without a really good reason.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

readytotaxi

Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:29 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 4):

Hey, Happy 8th Birthday  
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!