AirCanada787
Topic Author

Air Canada Revised Baggage Policy To The USA

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:52 am

It would seem that Air Canada has changed its baggage policy for flights to the United States. While economy class passengers used to get their first check bag free it will now cost $25. A second bag can be checked for $35.

While I guess this new policy puts Air Canada more inline with American carriers I do find it a bit disappointing. I also wonder if Westjet will follow suit and change its baggage policy.

More information on Air Canada's checked baggage policy can be found here:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/checked.html
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

lightsaber
Crew

RE: Air Canada Revised Baggage Policy To The USA

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:58 am

Quoting AirCanada787 (Thread starter):
I also wonder if Westjet will follow suit and change its baggage policy.

Westjet's baggage policy won the business of my family. If Westjet changes their baggage policy, I'll be doing a dance to try and get WN to fly to Canada...

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

kamloops

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:09 am

I know I may get flamed on this,

but will air canada employees be faced to paying this charge

czbbflier

Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:24 am

So let me get this straight....

Because of heightened security precautions you it's essentially impossible to travel without a checked bag these days and now you have to pay a $25.00 supplement to check even one bag?

Why don't they just add $25.00 to the fare?

Forgive me- it has been a while since I've flown business... it's been a while since I've flown at all. Is it still possible to travel with just a carry-on and a pack sack for miscellaneous items?

Can you actually carry a water bottle with water in it?

This nickel and diming is going too far. (And has for too long now already!)

toobz

Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:36 am

Quoting Kamloops (Reply 2):

I know I may get flamed on this,

but will air canada employees be faced to paying this charge

I would say no. Here in the US, airline employees, at least with DL, do not pay checked baggage fees.

ykaops

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:14 am

When the hell will a Canadian carrier set the standard, rather than follow suit of all the money losing carriers south of the 49th parallel???

AC & WS have changed their baggage policy more times than their CEO's change underwear over the last few years..

OOOOOO WAIT! Fuel costs have risen, so this is how they manipulate their customers to make extra $ rather than "including it" it the ticket price... what a farce!!

blueflyer

Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:08 pm

Quoting ykaops (Reply 5):
When the hell will a Canadian carrier set the standard

Even with a baggage charge (hate 'em, mind you), AC still pretty much sets the standard in transborder flights. Better service, better BOB and free AVOD in the back, that and more space and lounge access in the front.

I pray the new fee isn't the beginning of a race to the bottom...
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

WestJet747

Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:04 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 1):
If Westjet changes their baggage policy, I'll be doing a dance to try and get WN to fly to Canada...

...and i'll be dancing with you.

But for the mean time, WS and PD continue to offer superior value for their product (relative to the Canadian market). They will get my business so long as they don't start charging me to check baggage containing products that they don't allow me to bring in my carry-on  
Flying refined.

Viscount724

Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:13 pm

Quoting czbbflier (Reply 3):
Why don't they just add $25.00 to the fare?

Why should passengers who rarely check bags (I haven't checked one in 5 years) have to pay $25 more? I'm quite happy having costs for things I don't use (checked bags) or can happily do without (inflight meals) separated from the base fare.

RamblinMan

Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:14 pm

So let me get this straight....

Because of heightened security precautions you it's essentially impossible to travel without a checked bag these days and now you have to pay a $25.00 supplement to check even one bag?

Oh... it's POSSIBLE. Good luck! Ok ok, here's a hint- contact lens cases for small amounts of liquids.

When the hell will a Canadian carrier set the standard, rather than follow suit of all the money losing carriers south of the 49th parallel???

...one of us...one of us...one of us....

ytz

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:03 pm

They are just making the case for Torontonians (and other Southern Ontarians) to switch to Porter, that much better.

WestJet747

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:16 pm

Quoting YTZ" class="quote" target="_blank">YTZ (Reply 10):
They are just making the case for Torontonians (and other Southern Ontarians) to switch to Porter, that much better.

I absolutely agree. Although AC only operates domestic routes from YTZ whereas the charges in question are only for flights to the U.S. With that said I can't see this change in policy growing Porter's advantage at YTZ too much in that respect.
Flying refined.

FURUREFA

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Really? Because last I saw, US carriers, with a few exceptions, have been wildly profitable, while AC, even with a virtual monopoly, has had it's own troubles.

RJLover

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Can you actually carry a water bottle with water in it?

Not through security, but you CAN do what I do, every single trip....

You are allowed to take an *empty* water bottle through security, then you just fill it up on the other side!
Last Flight(s): YYJ-YVR-YYZ-YHZ Next Flight(s):

yyz717

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Good. There is a cost to the airline's ops with EVERY bag checked, so those pax checking bags should be charged for EVERY bag.

Nice work AC on: passing on a cost to the users, and generating more ancillary fees.

I like it.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

connies4ever

Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:30 pm

Quoting FURUREFA (Reply 12):
Really? Because last I saw, US carriers, with a few exceptions, have been wildly profitable, while AC, even with a virtual monopoly, has had it's own troubles.

It would be a huge stetch to claim that AC has a virtual monopoly. In terms of domestic traffic, I believe AC is about 60/35 vs WS. PD and the rest would account for the remaining 5%.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

canadianpylon

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:30 pm

Quoting yyz717 (Reply 14):
Good. There is a cost to the airline's ops with EVERY bag checked, so those pax checking bags should be charged for EVERY bag.

Nice work AC on: passing on a cost to the users, and generating more ancillary fees.

I like it.

Only in the airline industry would someone *applaud* ancillary fees for the customer.   

Next thing you know, gas stations post gas prices will just be for the gas, and there will be a $5 pump utilization fee, regardless of the amount of gas that you use. Cuz, you know, it costs the gas station money to maintain and operate pumps.

Or maybe they'll have an additional surtax for insurance based on the fuel efficiency of your vehicle. The more fuel efficient the vehicle, the high the surtax as you will be stopping less often for gas...Cuz, you know, it costs the gas station money to insure their equipment and buildings...

OR,

The could roll all of those costs into 1 flat fee that includes the cost of the volatile materials they are delivering + fixed costs spread out over the volume of product they wish to sell? $2 a litre... 50 litres.... $100...Taxes included?

Blasphemy!! Communist!! Heretic!!! It'll never work!! Gas stations s are bleeding money left, right, and center! That's why there are so few of them around!

Maybe...just maybe.... Airlines would tell tell us how much every portion of their operation costs, and I do not know, flat fee deliver their product?
Always looking for the longest route with the most transfers.

longhauler

Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:19 pm

A lot of this comes from increasing trans-border code-shares. Now with the increase code-share with CO, it was becoming very cumbersome to handle the passengers.

AC passengers, buying an AC fare (first checked bag free) , but on a CO/UA aircraft were now expected to pay for checked baggage. This was something that was not expected when booking and had to be handled when checking in. Conversely, a CO/UA passenger buying a CO/UA fare but on an AC aircraft, paid for checked baggage for which AC does not charge.

An internal memo stated that with the JV, AC was trying to get its trans-border code-share partners to also not charge for the first checked bag. With the delay of the JV, this is the result and makes passenger processing easier and consistent.

Quoting AirCanada787 (Thread starter):
I also wonder if Westjet will follow suit and change its baggage policy.

AC has very very few city pairs where they compete with Westjet. Perhaps, if Westjet is ever able to convince an American carrier to code-share on its trans-border routes, they may have to do the same, for consistency for the passenger.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

canadianpylon

Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:52 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 17):
AC has very very few city pairs where they compete with Westjet. Perhaps, if Westjet is ever able to convince an American carrier to code-share on its trans-border routes, they may have to do the same, for consistency for the passenger.

I agree. Westjet has given up on the transborder war, and relegated themselves to Sun/Fun Destination flying.

It's time like this I miss Canadian (CP). They, along with American Airlines, were able to keep Air Canada honest.
Always looking for the longest route with the most transfers.