aklrno
Topic Author

Question About HKG Check-in

Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:17 am

Are there any HKG frequent travelers who can help me with this?

I'll be flying out of HKG next month on a flight leaving on a Monday morning at 8:30AM. Since I am staying at the airport hotel I plan to check my bag and do the check-in very early and then go back to my hotel for a while. How much time should I allow to go through security and get to a gate at 8:30 on a Monday morning? Will 90 minutes be enough? I don't want to be getting nervous while stuck in a long line or have to run to a gate.

My memories from a few years ago is that hotel to gate is about 30-40 minutes, but things may have changed.

sw733

RE: Question About HKG Check-in

Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Quoting aklrno (Thread starter):
How much time should I allow to go through security and get to a gate at 8:30 on a Monday morning? Will 90 minutes be enough?

HKG is ridiculously quick to get in to considering the sheer size of it. At that time, I would make sure to be slightly conservative...allow 10-15 minutes for security, and 10-15 minutes for immigration...be conservative, call it 30 minutes, but also build in extra just in case. However, the great thing abut HKG is the views...it's an airport I don't mind getting to early at all. I have arrived 3 hours early just to relax and watch the world go by.

WROORD

Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:18 am

Depending if you are going through T1 or T2 you may need extra time. T2 is mostly for checking in and later you may have to take a bus to your gate or satelite terminal if you're going to mainland China for example, so you'd need extra time for that.

RogerThat

Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:42 pm

As sw733 says, HKG is one of the best airports anywhere to spend time. Great views and many breakfast options in the massive food court. If you are flying CX in the premium cabin you have your choice of 3 lounges.

As I recall, they want you at the gate 30 minutes before departure.

If I were you, I'd much rather spend time in The Pier than in any airport hotel.