Eltomzo

Airlines Beating EK On Capacity

Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:41 pm

I was thinking lately, is there any route that Emirates flies where a competitor airline regularly sends a larger aircraft/higher seat capacity than EK? Since they only operate widebodies I don't see that happening much.

How about other airlines that operate 'total dominance' on all routes? I can't think of many other candidates except possibly QR and EK, as well some airlines that operate very small fleets.

sw733

RE: Airlines Beating EK On Capacity

Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Quoting eltomzo (Thread starter):
is there any route that Emirates flies where a competitor airline regularly sends a larger aircraft/higher seat capacity than EK?

Sure - how about BKK-HKG? Sure, it's a tag on, but it's an EK route, and both Thai and Cathay Pacific send more seats on any given day than Emirates does.

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:41 am

Quoting eltomzo (Thread starter):
I was thinking lately, is there any route that Emirates flies where a competitor airline regularly sends a larger aircraft/higher seat capacity than EK? Since they only operate widebodies I don't see that happening much.

Don't forget that all their flights start or end in DXB, a fortress hub. It's like asking if another airline has more capacity than DL out of ATL...

The tag routes are the only ones where EK is a minority player: BKK-HKG (as already suggested), SIN-BNE/MEL, KUL-MEL, BKK-SYD + the Trans Tasman flying.

Unless, however, are you referring to trips between two points via DXB? i.e. how dominant is EK USA-India (quite) or Australia-Greece (very to the point of having a monopoly)
Worked Hard, Flew Right

blink182

Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:34 am

What about AMS-DXB? EK is daily whereas KL, I think is 10-12x weekly with widebody equipment. I realize that is one route of many out of DXB, but it still answers the question.
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Eltomzo

Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 2):
Unless, however, are you referring to trips between two points via DXB? i.e. how dominant is EK USA-India (quite) or Australia-Greece (very to the point of having a monopoly)

I assume you are referring to monopoly in the technical sense of the word - i.e. greater than 25% of the market - because of course there is a competition on Greece-Australia from both QR (ATH-DOH-MEL). And if we look at aircraft size here, DL does not send a larger aircraft to every destination than any other airline - BA sends 777s that are at least the same size as anything DL sends.

Quoting blink182 (Reply 3):
What about AMS-DXB? EK is daily whereas KL, I think is 10-12x weekly with widebody equipment. I realize that is one route of many out of DXB, but it still answers the question.

Again, looking at aircraft size here it is still a win for EK I believe (B77W)

PlymSpotter

Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:56 pm

Tehran comes to mind. Multiple daily frequencies on various types by both Mahan and IR, and often 747-100/200/400s adding capacity.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...