Birdwatching
Topic Author

"AirCruise" - Has Anyone Done It?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:46 pm

Even though I consider myself quite up-to-date in aviation and the travel industry, I stumbled upon something yesterday that I haven't ever heard of, or even dreamed up: a company that basically flies you around in a small turboprop plane for 7 days, roughly one flight per day, into all those small airports the big jets can't fly into, and where there aren't any security lines and all that hassle. On arrival, you get a rental car to explore the surroundings, then stay at a hotel and fly to the next destination.

Have you ever done something like this? What kind of equipment do they use? Their web site states that they charter "turbo-prop aircraft seating 30-70 passengers". If I understand this right, they need multiple planes as they offer two 7-day circuits, leaving every day. So assuming their segments are about an hour, and after arrival at one location the plane picks up the last day's guests and fly them to their next stop, and so on, making each segment leave about 2 hours later than the previous segment, they'd still need about 4 to 6 planes total for that kind of operation.

http://www.mauivaaircruise.com/

Geez this sounds like I'm advertising for this company, but frankly I only want to know what the whole experience is like. I might consider doing this sometime in the future.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

TUGMASTER

RE: "AirCruise" - Has Anyone Done It?

Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:36 pm

Soren.....

think there used to be a company in Oz a few years ago that used to do something similar to what your mentioning.. possible called Pionair...???? And they used a CV580....yeah..

Just found the link

http://www.pionair.com.au/about.html

But if you fancy flying around in a small turboprop into small airports that jets can't make, your best bet is the Wideroe summer pass, flying around the top of Norway.

But i'm sure you knew that already.   

bluewhale18210

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:31 pm

Quoting Birdwatching (Thread starter):
Their web site states that they charter "turbo-prop aircraft seating 30-70 passengers".

EMB-120/ATR-42/72/Q200/300/400/SAABs...basically what most a.net detest flying.

But it should be a laid back trip...sounds interesting.
JPS on A300-600RF A319/320 B737-400/800 B757-200F B767-300F CRJ-200/900. Looking to add more.

whatusaid

Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:00 am

What're you're referencing is an EMB120 operation "Charter Air Transport" that does: BUR-MRY-SJC-FAT-LAS-GCN-LAS-BUR each day. Ground times are pretty tight. They come into FAT everyday around 11a or so and are back into air within 45 minutes. They had a 328Jet on the route today...but it's just a single aircraft.

B6JFKH81

Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:34 pm

Quoting bluewhale18210 (Reply 2):
EMB-120/ATR-42/72/Q200/300/400

I have really enjoyed my experiences on the EMB-120 and DASH-8 flights I've been on. In fact, there are some flights when I have been traveling for business that I have chosen the option to take one of these over a CRJ/ERJ or even a mainline. Guess I'm just an oddball LOL!

Now, back to the OP's question. No, I've never done this, nor will I probably be able to afford this. WOULD I do it???

"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"