KDTWflyer
Topic Author

DAL232 SEA-AMS Diversion To DTW

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:54 am

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...2/history/20111115/2130Z/KSEA/KDTW

Check this out; seems like a pretty far diversion; i:e non-medical so pretty interesting
NW B744 B742 B753 B752 A333 A332 A320 A319 DC10 DC9 ARJ CRJ S340

9w748capt

RE: DAL232 SEA-AMS Diversion To DTW

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:08 am

Curious indeed. Per delta.com looks like they'll switch equipment and depart DTW at 0300, arriving into AMS at 1623 on the 16th. Quite a detour for sure!

KDTWflyer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:56 am

DAL232 diversion SEA-AMS (DTW)

This is a horrible grainy photo I got of it with a Droid X flying low (6K feet per planefinder.net) about 30 miles north of Detroit just after 1AM local time. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary really other than the highly straight and rather low approach. Scheduled to leave on different equip in about 10 mins however idk the registration so maybe somebody can help with finding out what the sub equipment is.
NW B744 B742 B753 B752 A333 A332 A320 A319 DC10 DC9 ARJ CRJ S340

wilco737

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:43 am

Quoting KDTWflyer (Thread starter):
Check this out; seems like a pretty far diversion; i:e non-medical so pretty interesting

Indeed a weird diversion in the first thought. But up there are not many airports where you can land properly if you have a problem. Sure, if you are on fire, get a couple thousand foot runway and land ASAP, but if it is only "divert to the next suitable airport" can mean that you fly for a while. They couuld've gone to some Canadian airport as well, but departed from the US makes it easier to land again in the US. And from YYZ to DTW is not far, so why not continue the couple minutes.
We don't know what exactly the problem was, but as you said no medical emergency which needed immediate attention or some other life threatening problem.

wilco737

Viscount724

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:58 pm

From Transport Canada daily incident reports:

DAL 232, an A330-300 operated by Delta Air Lnes, was en route from Seattle to Amsterdam at FL 370 and northeast of Igloolik when the crew advised Edmonton Centre that their primary navigation equipment was unserviceable. About 40 minutes later at 0216z they declared an emergency as the aircraft had lost all navigation equipment. A heading to Goose Bay was requested and provided. At 0242z the crew indicated that navigation equipment had been restored and requested priority to Detroit. A direct routing was provided.

jetjack74

Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:04 pm

Why do I have the sneaky suspicion some pax will be demanding compensation for this outrageous, sub-par service?
Made from jets!

roseflyer

Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:22 am

Quoting jetjack74 (Reply 5):
Why do I have the sneaky suspicion some pax will be demanding compensation for this outrageous, sub-par service?

Not sure sub-par service is a valid term. From what I have seen, while a few get irate, most understand that mechanical problems happen. However, anything breaking on the airplane is the airline's fault and the airline has to compensate passengers according to EU regulations and also provide hotels. I know I'd be wanting my compensation as well for arriving a day late. It's a cost of doing business and airlines work hard on reliability to reduce the expense of diversions since each one has to get reported to the FAA.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Viscount724

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:12 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 4):
From Transport Canada daily incident reports:

DAL 232, an A330-300 operated by Delta Air Lnes, was en route from Seattle to Amsterdam at FL 370 and northeast of Igloolik when the crew advised Edmonton Centre that their primary navigation equipment was unserviceable. About 40 minutes later at 0216z they declared an emergency as the aircraft had lost all navigation equipment. A heading to Goose Bay was requested and provided. At 0242z the crew indicated that navigation equipment had been restored and requested priority to Detroit. A direct routing was provided.

Update from Transport Canada with more details on the problem:

UPDATE TSB reported that the Airbus 330-323 registered N821NW operated by Delta Air Lines as DAL 232 left Seattle Washington en route for Amsterdam, Netherlands. The aircraft had dispatched with the inertial navigation system (INS) no 2 inoperative as allowed by MEL. Cruising over Nunavut, near Igloolik, the No 1 INS was lost. An emergency was declared about 40 minutes later when all navigation equipment was lost. Crew requested and obtained heading information to Goose Bay. Twenty minutes later navigation equipment had been restored and crew requested priority to divert to Detroit where an uneventful landing was carried out.