gocaps16
Topic Author
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2000 9:14 am

Expedited Airport Screening For U.S. Military

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:38 pm

I came across this article and found this to be interesting. Apparently it's in the work as a trial experiment and hopefully this will work out in the future. As a military and a frequent flier, it's nice to know that all I need is to swipe my CAC card to the reader and off I go to the gate. I know certain airports have similar process for U.S. military personnel. ATL has head of line privileges for military/dependents at security checkpoint, and ORD has a line specifically for Government/DOD personnel at customs/immigration on flights from overseas. It's great to know that the city is supporting us as a way of saying thank you to defend freedom and democracy around the world. Your thoughts?

Washington (CNN) -- U.S military personnel may someday be treated to expedited screening at airport checkpoints if all goes well with tests that begin Tuesday at a medium-size airport in California.

The program was announced by Transportation Security Administration head John Pistole.

He said the agency is conducting the tests to see if its technology is compatible with the Common Access Cards that are carried by military personnel.

"As part of our risk-based security initiative, we're trying to identify those groups of people that in all likelihood pose no risk. We've been working with the military Department of Defense to try to assess how we can read the military ID cards," Pistole said.

Full article: http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/15/travel...t-screening/index.html?hpt=hp_bn13
 
blueflyer
Posts: 3648
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:17 am

RE: Expedited Airport Screening For U.S. Military

Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:16 am

Quoting gocaps16 (Thread starter):
Your thoughts?

I'm all for risk-based screening procedures. I can't tell from the article whether being a holder of a CAC will automatically grant one access to expedited screening, or whether the trial is to see if a CAC can be used as a membership card for a registered traveler program, but doesn't confer any other privilege beyond that.

If it is the latter, it is a good idea. If it is the former, it shows yet again the futility of our security theater. 99% of CAC holders are courageous, outstanding individuals, but the remaining 1% are gang members, murderers, rapists and Nidal Malik Hasan...
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.
 
User avatar
shamrock604
Posts: 2091
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:27 pm

RE: Expedited Airport Screening For U.S. Military

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:31 pm

Quoting gocaps16 (Thread starter):
It's great to know that the city is supporting us as a way of saying thank you to defend freedom and democracy around the world. Your thoughts?

The US military also has a history of defending dictatorships around the world when it suited US interests, so lets not go crazy here.

My thoughts on expedited screening is that it is fine if it will also include other categories of passengers who have extensive security clearances including also flight crew, who do after all, possess the means to cause destruction and harm on board without bringing anything forbidden through security with them.

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 1):
99% of CAC holders are courageous, outstanding individuals, but the remaining 1% are gang members, murderers, rapists and Nidal Malik Hasan...

  

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests