foppishbum
Topic Author

Frequent Flier Programs For Kids

Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:52 am

I remember when I was very young, I joined China Airline's (CI) frequent flier program for kids (華夏小天使, Junior Dynasty Flyer). They made it very legit with a kiddy membership card and, instead of accumulating mileages, I got free gifts (airplane toys, stuff animals, etc) after a certain number of flights.

I'm wondering if any other airlines are doing/did the same thing......

This is a picture of the membership card I found on Google. I don't remember where I kept mine.    http://pic2.997788.com/pic_search/00/09/08/23/se9082350.jpg
Taiwanese-American :D

Baschiiii

RE: Frequent Flier Programs For Kids

Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:14 am

Quoting foppishbum (Thread starter):
I'm wondering if any other airlines are doing/did the same thing......

I know Lufthansa has their JetFriends program for kids and teens...not really sure about the benefits though....

http://www.jetfriends.com/jetfriends2/index/SETLOCALE=en_US/

planejamie

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:10 am

I think Air France has one for kids too... BA however doesn't offer Executive Club to anyone under 18 unless you're on a household account with them (which I am). I hadn't heard of the LH one before!

AirCanada787

Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:25 am

Emirates has one called 'Skysurfers' for people between the ages of 2-16, it even has three membership tiers: blue, silver, and gold. Skywards Miles can also be earned with partner airlines and partner hotels.

They also have a website geared for kids:
www.skysurfers.com
The mind, like a parachute, functions only when open.

Akiestar

Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Philippine Airlines started a kids' version of the Mabuhay Miles program last year, and it's called Y Flyer, open to anyone between the ages of 2 and 21. Details are pretty sparse online, but it does offer a ten-percent discount on domestic fares! 

Malaysia Airlines also has Grads, a frequent flyer program for students over 12.

Birdwatching

Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Quoting Baschiiii (Reply 1):
I know Lufthansa has their JetFriends program for kids and teens...not really sure about the benefits though....

Back in the 80s I was in LH's kid frequent flyer program, called Lufthansa Junior Service. You had to fly 4 segments to be admitted. You proved this by logging your flights in a provided log book that the captain would sign. Once you were in, they sent you lots of things several times a year, there was a magazine and the occasional toy and other items.

I'm really sad about sending them my log book and not making a copy before. Well I was 7 or 8 at that time so how would I know. I wish I still had that info, as it contained registration numbers of the planes. I guess I could ask Lufthansa if they threw it away or still keep all those log books somewhere. Yeah right.

Soren   
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

jetblue777

Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:34 pm

Well Finnair has Junior Plus for kids under the age of 18 (?)

I signed up for it like a year ago, they sent me a real plastic card, a non-personalized luggage tag (good quality too), a flash drive with a neck cord and the usual welcome messages, etc. Once I turn 18 then I think they're going to send me the regular card that my parents have.

[Edited 2011-11-22 13:37:56]
It's a cultural thing.

WestJet747

Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:37 am

Quoting Akiestar (Reply 4):
open to anyone between the ages of 2 and 21. Details are pretty sparse online, but it does offer a ten-percent discount on domestic fares!

Pretty generous for a kids program! PR really understands how to create brand loyalty, impressive.
Flying refined.

afterburner

Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:27 am

Garuda Indonesia has GFF (Garuda Frequent Flyer) Junior for children from 2 to 11 years old.

L1011

Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:20 pm

Delta had their Fantastic Flyer Program for several years. Members received free magazines in the mail on a regular basis, I think quarterly, but it might have been monthly.

Bob Bradley
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

Yflyer

Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:35 pm

As a related question, do most airlines have age restrections on their "regular" frequent flier programs? Could a parent who travels with their kids a lot or has them travel as a UM sign them up for a normal SkyMiles or Mileage Plus account and have them earn miles when they travel?

Akiestar

Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 10):
do most airlines have age restrections on their "regular" frequent flier programs?

I wouldn't know, but I know to join Duna Club (Malév's program), you must be at least two years old. This is also the case with Mabuhay Miles.

Surprisingly, to join the Sky Pearl Club (China Southern's program), you have to be at least 12 years old.