EBGflyer
Topic Author

US To Europe One-way Cheaply!

Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:32 pm

I am going to Europe in January, but don't know when I will be going back to the US. The best thing would be for me to buy a one-way trip to Europe and then buy the return trip later on.

I will be going from ORD to CPH, but apparently many of the airlines do not offer cheap one-way fares. However, I have found on Vayama.com cheap one-way fares on a 'secret' carrier, which cannot be anything else than SK if you look at the schedule. Normally SK does not offer cheap one-way transatlantic one-way fares. How is this possible and can Vayama be trusted?

EBGflyer,
Future flights: CPH-BOS; CPH-SVG; CPH-PVG-HKG-MNL-DVO; CPH-CDG; CPH-NRT; CPH-MIA; CPH-PVG

debonair

RE: US To Europe One-way Cheaply!

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Quoting EBGflyer (Thread starter):
However, I have found on Vayama.com cheap one-way fares on a 'secret' carrier, which cannot be anything else than SK if you look at the schedule.

Well, I think it could be LOT POLISH AIRLINES, as they have an ow sale, check their schedule!

Why not getting a Christmas present?!

PIA PAKISTAN AIRLINES B777 BUSINESS CLASS 629USD ORD-BCN + SPANAIR ca. 70€ BCN-CPH

zrs70

Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:00 pm

Buy a roundtrip fare then change the return for a fee (usually $250).
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

santos

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:05 am

Have you checked Icelandair? they always let you book one way flights at reasonable prices!

alsberg

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:52 am

Pakistan International and Iceland Express come to mind as cheap options out of ORD to Europe

pu

Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:34 am

Aer Lingus do reasonable one way fares across the pond.

Also, you can buy AA miles for about 2 cents a mile from their website and they are the only big airline I know of that let you use your miles for one way flights at half the cost of roundtrip flights. So right now its only 20000 miles across the Atlantic, or about $400 if you buy the miles. Also, you can use the same miles on BA or Finnair for a connection in Europe. This could get you from ORD-CPH on one airline/alliance with one connection.

Pu

EBGflyer
Topic Author

Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quoting debonair (Reply 1):
PIA PAKISTAN AIRLINES B777 BUSINESS CLASS 629USD ORD-BCN

Pakistan business fare is amazing. Unfortunately they don't fly on Jan 15, but only on the 14th. Would have been an interesting option.

Quoting debonair (Reply 1):
Well, I think it could be LOT POLISH AIRLINES,

Polish is only 3100 DKK one way, which is not bad and also Star Alliance. However, there is an extreme long lay-over in WAW

Would prefer taking SAS and getting the fare on Vayama. Anybody has any experience with them? What also bugs me is that you can get a ticket to LHR with SAS connection in CPH for 450 USD. That is more than 100 less than if you flew direct.

Any way of not having your suitcase checked all the way through to LHR? If you choose not to take the connecting flight, I know the suitcase will be pulled from the aircraft, but will I be able to get it?
Future flights: CPH-BOS; CPH-SVG; CPH-PVG-HKG-MNL-DVO; CPH-CDG; CPH-NRT; CPH-MIA; CPH-PVG

threeifbyair

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:17 pm

Vayama is showing an Iberia (operated by AA) + BA itinerary for January 15th at 469USD, routing ORD-LHR-CPH with 2h25m layover. There are several layover options available, but this is the shortest. IB4216 + BA818 are the flight numbers.

usflyer msp

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:51 pm

SAS nonstop is $591 on airfare.com for your dates. that is not horrible.

SRQKEF

Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Quoting alsberg (Reply 4):

Express are stopping flights to the States. Not sure when tho.

Rgds,
SRQKEF
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

alsberg

Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:52 am

Quoting SRQKEF (Reply 9):

I hadn't heard that, but that's a bummer.

reifel

Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:34 pm

You could try airberlin, Aer Lingus, Icelandair. You should also take a look at airlines like Air Transat (from Canada), XL Airways France, Corsairfly. Sunwing also offers sometimes good fares from Canada, but it's usually seasonal.
Depending from where you want to fly you could even take a look at Transaero via Moscow.

Kuwait flies to London, not sure if they have one way fares.

Apart from that, if you are under 25, Finnair is offering interesting youth fares for one way. AF also offers youth fares, but I'm unsure if they offer oneway.

shamrock604

Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:28 am

You would do very well to beat Aer Lingus one way fares - and connections with them around Europe are well priced also.

HT

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:03 pm

Quoting Pu (Reply 5):
Also, you can buy AA miles for about 2 cents a mile from their website and they are the only big airline I know of that let you use your miles for one way flights at half the cost of roundtrip flights.

So does AF/KL.

Quoting reifel (Reply 11):
Kuwait flies to London, not sure if they have one way fares.

Yes.

Quoting EBGflyer (Reply 6):
Any way of not having your suitcase checked all the way through to LHR? If you choose not to take the connecting flight, I know the suitcase will be pulled from the aircraft, but will I be able to get it?

Checking luggage onto an onward flight, but then purposely not showing up for the that onward flight might get you in a position where the airline might start charging you for
a) a oneway ticket into the hub airport (which often will mean a higher fare compared to a booking with an onward connection)
b) liability for delays to the aircraft as they had to pull your suitcase from the hold last minute meaning missing the landing slot at LHR (in your case).
Also there is the chance that your suitcase will be checked for explosives and you will face some local police demanding an explanation.

So if you wanna pull off such a stunt, either do not check any luggage, or be prepared to bear the consequences which can be timely and costly.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !