nantoine
Topic Author

Transfer JFK Delta - Alitalia

Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi All,

Is 1h20 sufficient time to transfer from JFK Terminal 3 (arriving from SFO on Delta) to Terminal 1 (departing to FCO on Alitalia)?

Delta is selling this combination on their website, but it sounds *very* tight...

Any tips/recommendations?

Thanks!

airindia787

RE: Transfer JFK Delta - Alitalia

Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:31 pm

You will have to leave the secure area in T3 when you arrive, take the Airtrain to T1, and be rescreened. 1:20 would be sufficient if all goes well, but I would recommend a slightly longer one to account for any delays. I am not sure how baggage works, though, hopefully someone else does.

emirates202

Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:22 pm

If you're checked in all the way, and you don't need to go to the counter again in JFK to check your bag, etc, then that should be fine, but I suggest running, bc of security, and T1 is usually pretty crowded, and I'm pretty sure boarding starts 1 hour before departure
Fly Emirates, Hello Tomorrow

davescj

Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:01 am

If you're in J, you'll be OK. I would feel uncomfortable if I were in Y w/o priority screening.

The AF lounge in T1 is quite nice, BTW.

Dave
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

aklrno

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:35 am

Quoting airindia787 (Reply 1):
You will have to leave the secure area in T3 when you arrive, take the Airtrain to T1, and be rescreened. 1:20 would be sufficient if all goes well, but I would recommend a slightly longer one to account for any delays. I am not sure how baggage works, though, hopefully someone else does.

Couldn't you just walk in 5-10 minutes if the weather is OK?

I'd be more worried about delays at SFO.

nantoine
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks everyone!
I think I'll take an earlier SFO-JFK flight to be on the safe side... I've had some "interesting" experiences with the fog in SFO before...

flySFO

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:25 am

I have personally done SFO-JFK-FCO on American the first leg and Alitalia on the second, transferring from T8 to T1. As others have said, Alitalia does indeed board the big 777 an hour before departure, and you do have to take the AirTrain between terminals, which requires you to exit the Delta terminal. If you have to collect your bags from Delta and re-check them in with Alitalia, I highly recommend an earlier Delta flight from SFO, as from my experience I think you'd be cutting it very close.

Akiestar

Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:49 am

I would presume that since DL and AZ are in the same alliance, and SkyTeam offers through check-in on all their partner carriers even if the tickets are separate, your bags can be checked all the way to FCO, with the corresponding boarding passes. The physical act of transferring between terminals, however, might be another story altogether.

idlewildchild

Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:01 pm

If your flight is on time from SFO it shouldn't be a problem at all. If the DL happens to park at T2 then it's a nice walk next door, probably quicker than walking across the street and taking the air train, of course unless you park at T3 or T4, both possibilities.

I'm sure your bags will be checked through and again, if the SFO-JFK trip is on time, not a problem at all.