sq_ek_freak
Topic Author

Virgin America's Main Cabin Select

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Hey all,

I had a question about VX's main cabin select, given that the concept of this fare class is a bit different than others in the industry. I was booking a trip on the VX website and booked a return ticket in Main Cabin Select, using the instant upgrade fare bracket. When it came time to select seats for the flight, only the main cabin select seats showed up, so I was happy and booked a pair of aisle seats in the bulkhead row. I noticed that if you are seated in main cabin select, you don't only get the added legroom but (unlike on JetBlue) you get unlimited free drinks and food, as well as free entertainment (I'm assuming this means the movie channels). I thought that was a great deal.

So, given that it was a hundred dollars more per sector to fly in this class, I was wondering how VX does with its Main Cabin Select product? Is it a good seller? Does it actually make money for them?

Also a quick question about the product - when they say drinks, they also include booze right, given that all the other drinks are already free onboard? And when they say food, does it mean the BoB stuff coach gets that's free, or is it some sort of offering in between the BoB stuff and the stuff First Class gets?

Also, being a bit selfish here, but if you are in Main Cabin Select, what are your chances of getting bumped to F if the need arises? Say if coach is overbooked and F is wide open, are these passengers the first to get moved up front?
Keep Discovering

spchamp1

RE: Virgin America's Main Cabin Select

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Main Cabin Select is like First Class without the larger seats. Food, drinks and movies are on the house. The sandwiches they have are pretty good. The last time I flew them was back in August and they offered a Roast Beef sandwich that was awesome.

sq_ek_freak
Topic Author

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:54 pm

Quoting spchamp1 (Reply 1):
Main Cabin Select is like First Class without the larger seats. Food, drinks and movies are on the house. The sandwiches they have are pretty good. The last time I flew them was back in August and they offered a Roast Beef sandwich that was awesome.

What was the presentation of the food like?
Keep Discovering

genybustrvlr

Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:41 am

Biggest airline ripoff out there IMO. Main cabin select is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than coach. Hundreds of $$ in most cases. You couldn't eat that much food and/or watch that many movies on a 6 hour flight if you tried. If you want to pay for extra leg room, fly JetBlue; it's a bargain in comparison. Better yet, pay for first on Virgin America - that is lovely.

sq_ek_freak
Topic Author

Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:37 pm

Quoting genybustrvlr (Reply 3):
Biggest airline ripoff out there IMO. Main cabin select is SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than coach. Hundreds of $$ in most cases. You couldn't eat that much food and/or watch that many movies on a 6 hour flight if you tried. If you want to pay for extra leg room, fly JetBlue; it's a bargain in comparison. Better yet, pay for first on Virgin America - that is lovely.

I agree with you if the normal coach fare are around the $190-$200 mark, but when I was booking the fare difference was $101 so not too bad...
Keep Discovering

Tigerguy

Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:49 am

It just so happens that I flew Virgin America in MCS not too long ago; I was pleased with the experience. You can see how I fared here: The Pacific Northwest, D.B. Cooper, and Me. Feel free to skip everything else and go straight to what you're looking for.
Good night, and keep watching the skis. Uh, skies.