lesismore
Topic Author

Does US Fly Any Widebodies Out Of PHX?

Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:59 pm

I just came back recently from a trip to Newark, NJ, flying US in both directions through PHX. I guess I never thought about it, but upon arriving in Phoenix, I didn't see any US widebodies at their gates. Also, looking at the US route maps in their magazine, there don't appear to be any long-haul international flights on US out of PHX. I know before US and AmericaWest merged, AmericaWest was basically a domestic carrier, so no international flights out of PHX. Being that PHX is a US hub, after the merger, I thought that would change. All of US' European flights are out of PHL and CLT. Is this correct? Am I missing something? Will this change sometime in the near future? Do any US widebodies fly in/out of PHX? Thanks in advance!
I'm a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down. - Abe Lincoln

LGWflyer

RE: Does US Fly Any Widebodies Out Of PHX?

Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:03 am

Hey there lesismore! The only widebodies US flies out of PHX are 762's which stops for a fuel stop onroute from CLT heading to HNL and back (not sure if they are still doing this now but still was the only heavy traffic US had out of PHX). US has never operated any A330's out of PHX as they the 300 could not make it to Europe etc... US only operate the 330 on the East Coast out of CLT and PHL to Europe and Israel which is PHL only.

Plus another reason I think US would have trouble doing Euro routes from PHX is the fact that BA operates I think 4/5 days a week on a 747 so some tough competition.

Btw I also flew with US from CLT to EWR and back this year.

Earlier in the year I asked a similar question and here is the thread which will mostly answer your questions in detail. Hope this helps!  SmileWhy No US Longhaul From PHX? (by LGWflyer Apr 20 2011 in Civil Aviation)

[Edited 2011-12-12 16:06:05]
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

DFWHeavy

Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:59 am

Hey boss,

US dropped CLT-HNL last year, but you are right, they did stop for fuel quite a bit with their less than capable 762ERs
Christopher W Slovacek

LGWflyer

Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:35 am

Quoting DFWHeavy (Reply 2):
US dropped CLT-HNL last year, but you are right, they did stop for fuel quite a bit with their less than capable 762ERs

I see, thanks for clearing that up.
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!