henpol747
Topic Author

Question About Pregnancy And Flying

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Hi there,

My wife (6 months pregnant) will fly MEX-DFW-SLC on AA and SLC-MEX on DL. Is there any problem for her to fly? I mean, won´t there be any issue with the airlines? should we get a written permission from her gynecologist?

Thanks!!
Vive la France! ¡Viva México!

747400sp

RE: Question About Pregnancy And Flying

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:38 pm

I would check with the gynecologist first, to make sure there is no danger to your wife or the fetus, then I would go ahead and get a written permission slip from from her gynecologist.

kiwiandrew

Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:45 pm

What did AA and DL say when you asked them? The rules vary between airlines around the world so it is best to ask each airline directly(although in my experience when it is a single pregnancy with no complications most airlines don't have a problem at 6 months.) Also, check with your travel insurance provider what their stance is on pregnancy as many insurers don't want to cover it past a certain point because of the potentially high costs. Travelling without insurance when pregnant is probably the biggest potential problem for many travellers ( yet strangely it is one that they often don't think about)

Couldn't find the info on the AA website ( couldn't even find their 'search'function) but DL says

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ilities/special_concerns/index.jsp

Pregnant Travelers
We don't have restrictions for pregnant women, so you don't need a medical certificate to travel.

However, keep in mind that ticket change fees and penalties aren't waived for pregnancy. If you're traveling after your eighth month, it's a good idea to check with your doctor to be sure it will be ok

Maverick623

Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:22 pm

Quoting henpol747 (Thread starter):
Is there any problem for her to fly?

Generally not at 6 months. However, it's a good idea for her to get checked before she travels. While she's there, no harm in:

should we get a written permission from her gynecologist?
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

henpol747
Topic Author

Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Gynecologist says there´s no problem and will give us a written permission. Asked AA and DL, and they said that six months isn´t an issue.

Thank you for your answers .

Cheers,

Henpol747
Vive la France! ¡Viva México!

goldorak

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:19 am

Another issue to keep in mind : in the US, at security, your wife has to avoid the new body scanners and ask for a manual search. X-rays are dangerous for the fetus.

BrusselsSouth

Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:51 pm

I've been on multiple flights with my pregnant wife without problems, although never past 3-4 months or something.

If I remember correctly, most airlines will allow pregnant women without restrictions until a certain number of months (7? 8?), then will only allow them based on written permission from their gynecologist.

My wife (6 months pregnant)

Congratulations! Girl or boy?

Regards
BrusselsSouth