JA
Topic Author

Travel Tip Tuesday : Alitalia Bus Service To Rome

Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:04 am

Up to this point, the three most popular transportation options to Rome’s city center from the main Leonardo DaVinci Fiumicino Airport have been:
the standard taxi ride, that will run you upward of €50 one way.
the ‘Leonardo Express’ train that brings you to Rome’s Termini Station for about €14 each way.
a Cotral Bus, which will also bring you to Rome’s Termini or Tiburtina Station for about €4.50 each way

However, Alitalia has introduced their own new bus service for getting to the center of Rome.

http://mymelange.net/mymelange/2011/11/alitalia-bus-rome.html

roberts87

RE: Travel Tip Tuesday : Alitalia Bus Service To R

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:22 am

I guess it's an interesting idea, especially if the price is right.
One thing that opposses me though is the 'we wait for all the flights in the group' , which sounds that if a flight is delayed, but 5 other aren't, the pax from the on-time flight will be waiting for the pax from the delayed flight....

HT

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:54 am

Quoting roberts87 (Reply 1):
I guess it's an interesting idea, especially if the price is right.

7 € oneway which is half the fare of Leonardo Express.
But the catch is that you need to be in posession of an Alitalia flight ticket to be able to purchase a bus ticket. This limits the group of potential users considerably.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

KingFriday013

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:42 pm

Sounds interesting. Can you come in on a DL or AF/KL codeshare?

-J.
Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

CrimsonNL

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:17 pm

I guess thats a similar idea as the AF Coaches driving around and between CDG / ORY? I found those very convenient!
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

Akiestar

Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:15 pm

I wonder how fast these buses will be. This might be a good way to beat an eight-hour layover in FCO and enter the city for a bit.

HT

Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:39 pm

Quoting CrimsonNL (Reply 4):
I guess thats a similar idea as the AF Coaches driving around and between CDG / ORY? I found those very convenient!

If I am not mistaken, AF Coaches are available to everyone irrespective of airline(s) in use.

Quoting Akiestar (Reply 5):
I wonder how fast these buses will be. This might be a good way to beat an eight-hour layover in FCO and enter the city for a bit.

No info could be found so far, but it can be assumed that they are slower than the train. OTOH the train (Leonardo Express) runs at 30 minute intervals only so the coaches can gain some advantage.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

reifel

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:31 am

Quoting HT (Reply 6):
If I am not mistaken, AF Coaches are available to everyone irrespective of airline(s) in use.

Absolutely. They're only free of charge if connecting to Fort de France, Pointe a Pitre, Reunion, Cayenne - basically all the longhaul from Orly...

In Rome I prefer to take the regional train to Rome. Cheap and convenient, but a little slower than the Leonardo Express.