747400sp
Topic Author

How Is US Airways?

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:01 pm

On my trip to Los Angeles today, I decided to join US FF club, and I wonder, is US Airways an airline that I would want to stick with? I read that their cabin crew was old and had bad attitudes, is this true?

Flighty

RE: How Is US Airways?

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:02 pm

It depends. Where do you live?

dirtyfrankd

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:05 pm

I've never been a big fan, found service to be poor and always had trouble when connecting through CLT. I haven't flown them in about 3 years am don't plan on flying them again.

747400sp
Topic Author

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:06 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 1):
It depends. Where do you live?

I live in the Hampton/Newport News part of VA.

DesertFlyer

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:09 pm

I travel a lot with US and they're no better or worse than a lot of other airlines. I find them to be punctual and my bags always make it to their final destination. They're a bit no-frills, but I really can't complain. If their route network works for you, then I think they're worth traveling with.

roberts87

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Past year I've had the chance to flow United, Delta, American and US Airways; all airlines about 4-6 flights. I would put them in 2nd, after Delta. I guess like some of the other have said; it depends on where you live and how convenient their connections, schedules and fares are from your home airport.

Flighty

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Quoting 747400sp (Reply 3):
I live in the Hampton/Newport News part of VA.

In the Southeast they are kind of your only choice for comprehensive service, along with DL. One thing in US's favor is you don't have to connect in ATL.

airportugal310

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:43 pm

Quoting DesertFlyer (Reply 4):
I travel a lot with US and they're no better or worse than a lot of other airlines. I find them to be punctual and my bags always make it to their final destination. They're a bit no-frills, but I really can't complain. If their route network works for you, then I think they're worth traveling with.

This post pretty much sums up US to me...

I find that they get the job done, sometimes half-assed, sometimes like a well oiled machine...most times just like everyone else.

I don't find their regional service to be very good, but thats not entirely their fault and again, gets the job of getting me around. This was based on a series of flight I took with them a month ago.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

planeguy727

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:55 pm

I'll start with disclosure - I am a Gold level Preferred member with US.

That being said, there is a reason I stick with them - the have a good schedule for my travel needs (LGA is my main haunt), I fly to the DC area often (service to all 3 airports), and they are part of *A. I find the fares to be reasonable and the service (overall) to be good. Sure, there are a few less than stellar employees, but what organization doesn't have those types?

I know it will become less convenient for me here shortly, but I plan to stay with them. I got started with US when SYR was my closest airport, then PHL. When I move to NYC I had many choices, but stayed with US because I had seen the efforts at improvement over the previous years.

I think for each traveler it is important to look at your flight patterns, partner utilization, and what it is you want from a FF program. If it's just a place to park miles, well Dividend Miles and the *A connection is as good a place as any.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...

747400sp
Topic Author

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:42 am

Well I am on board the A321( CLT-LAX) part of my journey right now, and US do not provide TV or Music on their domestic flights. Thank god they have Wi Fi, and I brought my lab top, or this would have been a long flight. Well at least we have a celebrity on board, Johnny Gill.

PS: Come on US, even Greyhound has TV!   

deltairlines

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:35 pm

For living in Phoenix, US is not too bad for going up and down the west coast and to the midwest. Not too indifferent from what you'd get from other airlines in that sense.

The fact that they've added F onto all CRJ-700/900 and EMB-170/175 was a big step forward.

daviation

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:35 pm

For me, they are very frustrating. Some issue or inconvenience always shows up. A missed connection, delayed flight, missing baggage, free-for-all boarding, very rude gate agents.

Unfortunately, I will be flying with them again in three weeks (two flights each way with connections) because the schedule works for me. I have heard that service has improved quite a bit, but my last four flights with them in May were a case study in delays and rudeness. Actually, I think rude is too nice - the gate staff were openly hostile to other mild-mannered passengers. I was embarrassed for everyone.

I hope it's better this time. Honestly, I think they are the worst domestic legacy airline.
PlaneFlown:717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC8,DC9,DC10,L1011,F100,A300,319,320,321,330,340,CRJ,ERJ,E190,Av85,DH8,Beaver,ATR

blueflyer

Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:25 am

Disclosure #1: I experience US upfront
Disclosure #2: 80% of my experience on US is between DFW and LAS (or should I say "was" since they ended the route).

I've had my absolute worst "I don't give a sh!t, go away and die, I know you know I am lying through my teeth and I don't care" ground service experience ever from a US gate agent at LAS over a missing item that was gate-checked. Even the luggage counter employee had a hard time believing that a gate agent had me go to her rather than call the ramp from her podium to have the hold searched for the missing item. It wasn't bad just from a customer service point-of-view, but anyone who's flown US to LAS can attest that it takes much longer for a ramper to bring the missing item to the luggage counter as opposed to bringing it to the gate, wasting personnel resources.

On the other hand, many of the US crews I have flown with stand out as being among the most cheerful and enthusiastic, happy-to-be-there crew I have experienced on any domestic flight.

Overall, I'd fly US again in a heartbeat if I could, but I probably won't be doing much of that (company travel policy).
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

aa61hvy

Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:10 pm

I flew them a few weeks ago for the first time since 1998, and I also joined their FF club. I flew SFO-PHL-BWI-CLT-SFO. I did pay for an upgrade, and it was pretty good. I'd fly them again. Plus it seems like they are almost always the cheapest option around.
Go big or go home

jetblue777

Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:54 pm

No major complaints about US Airways, I had one of the best set of crews on a US Airways flight - very friendly and accommodating. I only flew with them twice, FLL-CLT-LGA on the same day, so maybe I got lucky with the crew. As for their cabin, it's a bit outdated (especially on the 734), they don't have IFE even on their A319/20/21 whereas UA has.
It's a cultural thing.

dumbell2424

Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:18 am

Never have had a negative experience and I fly them almost exclusively nowadays.

airbus3801

Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:56 pm

US Airways domestically is really quite standard when compared to the rest of what is on offer, and internationally, PHL is a more pleasant and convenient European hub, but other airlines offer better products overall. However, I would say the Frequent Flier programme is very easy to accrue miles, use miles, and I seem to always gain Elite status quite easily.

RamblinMan

Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:35 am

Have had nothing but poor experiences with them, on all counts. Have had to deal with shockingly incompetent CSRs, and the ones who know how to do their jobs are so overworked it shows, maintenance issues have occurred on over 1/4 of my segments with them, the seats on their A320s are among the least comfortable I have ever seen, the BOB sucks and to top it off you get charged a dollar or two more than the advertised price. There is zero IFE on anything other than an A330.

After the last experience, I have sworn never to give them my business again unless there is literally no other choice. If you like Star Alliance I would go with UA as their product is headed in a promising direction.

usflyer msp

Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:44 am

I fly US often and have never had a serious problem. They remind me alot of NW was domestically (its no coincidence that much of their current management is former NW)...a cheap, reliable, but no-frills experience.