Eirules

Ireland To US Summer 2012

Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi all

Looking for some advice for a trip coming up in Sept 2012.

We want to visit San Fran and Las Vegas so initially planned an open jaw DUB-SFO, LAS-DUB with an internal SFO-LAS flight, but the fares seem pretty steep to me. As a result, these seem the best options but none are ideal;

Cheapest (€563)
DUB-LAS rtn
AA 763 via ORD
No PTV, no alcohol, must book an extra LAS-SFO flight

DUB-LAX rtn €605
NZ 773
Unsure about their new economy product, must book an extra 2 internal flights LAX-SFO, LAS-LAX

DUB-SFO rtn €698
BA 744
Must book an extra internal LAS-SFO flight.

DUB-SFO, ORD-DUB €635
BA 744, AA 777
Must book an extra internal LAS-ORD

There are some airlines I have ruled out (US, DL) due to no PTVs and they are not particularly cheap. Should I just bite the bullet and go with the AA flight via ORD? Should I go with the extra flights for the supposed better service with NZ via LAX? Or should I go with the DUB-SFO and LAS-DUB flights I originally thought about with either BA or CO/UA for nearly €900

Thanks
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

dstc47

RE: Ireland To US Summer 2012

Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am

My 2 cents

Air NZ is probably the best choice TATL, but LAX is a real dump compared to SFO, and especially bad for clearance.
Heathrow connection also, however, as with all of the BA offerings. Not as bad as it used to be, especially if coming off EI, due to the bus transfer, but still no fun.

AA @ORD - ORD difficult for flight connections, possibility of weather delay but less so at this time of year.
Preclearance at DUB a major plus.

Some amazing dear prices for flights to the USA being quoted ex DUB for peak season at present.

a340crew

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:38 am

What about EI via there Jetblue codeshare connecting in BOS or JFK? Also EI is rumored to be in talks of starting up LAX/SFO so if you could stick out a few months, if they do announce LAX/SFO i am sure they will have sale's to promote the route.

The flight DUB-JFK/BOS is fairly short and then connecting onto Jetblue is easy with the partnership. Bags go all the way thru and no customs to clear in the USA due to pre clearance in DUB. Plus free snacks and TV on Jetblue.

legacyins

Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:56 am

Quoting A340crew (Reply 2):

EI has already stated they have no plans on restarting The West Coast this year.

Eirules

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:36 am

In the end I went with BA in WT+. DUB-SFO via LHR and LAS_DUB via LHR. Was happy enough with the price, €863 all in. Anyone have any experience of world traveller plus on BA? Unfortunately both flights are on 744s so wont get the new product like on the 773
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....