JA
Topic Author

Spirit's Baggage Fee: More Ups Than Downs

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:09 pm

A controversial carry-on baggage fee at U.S. carrier Spirit Airlines has not hurt the company's business, an independent study found.

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/105...ts-baggage-fee-more-ups-than-downs

kcrwflyer

RE: Spirit's Baggage Fee: More Ups Than Downs

Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:42 pm

And they board faster than any other airline I've seen.

wedgetail737

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:40 pm

That might be true, but you won't see me in a mainline airplane with 28-inch pitch.

Iloveboeing

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:42 pm

If the airlines were going to charge for something, they should've charged for carry-ons first. Encouraging people to check their luggage is a lot better for the airline, because the boarding time is drastically reduced, allowing the turnaround time to be drastically reduced as well.

It is so annoying when you see people bringing on absolutely enormous carry-on luggage to avoid the checked bag fees. I've seen people desperately trying to cram their elephant-sized carry-on bags into the overhead bins and I'm just sitting there, shaking my head, thinking, "You're slowing down everyone else and the plane and, furthermore, you're costing the airline time and $$$$!").

NK's strategy is very wise; I especially like the fee they wham you with at the gate if you try to sneak it through security and gate-check it!

I mean, honestly, are people so rushed and so impatient that they can't wait 10-15 minutes at the baggage claim for their bags? If you wanna bring a laptop or a small bag/purse aboard, fine; if you want to bring everything + kitchen sink, just check the dang thing(s)!

FWAERJ

Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Quoting wedgetail737 (Reply 2):

That might be true, but you won't see me in a mainline airplane with 28-inch pitch.

Unless I can secure the Big Front Seat at a good fare, you won't see me on an NK plane. I flew on Skybus when they were around, and they had 28" pitch Airbuses. Pure pain.

Quoting iloveboeing (Reply 3):
NK's strategy is very wise; I especially like the fee they wham you with at the gate if you try to sneak it through security and gate-check it!

Sneaky, yet effective.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

USAIRWAYS321

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:57 pm

Quoting iloveboeing (Reply 3):
I mean, honestly, are people so rushed and so impatient that they can't wait 10-15 minutes at the baggage claim for their bags?

Where do you travel where it takes 10 minutes for checked bags to arrive? I waited 55 minutes at ORD on Sunday, and it was 12:30am.

stlgph

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:04 pm

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 5):
Where do you travel where it takes 10 minutes for checked bags to arrive? I waited 55 minutes at ORD on Sunday, and it was 12:30am.

got ya beat. it took 1 hr. 5 for bags to arrive from Southwest on Sunday at LGA. keep in mind Southwest has one gate, one plane coming and going at a time. and then on top of it .... mine didn't even come. 2 hour experience.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport