zrs70
Topic Author

What Airports Are Truly Known By Their Code?

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Most don't refer to LGA in speech as "LGA."

But we call JFK "JFK."

What other airports do we refer to orally by their code?

What airports do we refer to by official name rather than city?
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

rutankrd

RE: What Airports Are Truly Known By Their Code?

Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:40 pm

LAX.,
JFK.,
CDG.,

Can't really think of others in the general lexicon.

We know Heathrow is LHR but the general public don't care.

Laguardia is Laguardia and Newark is out of state to most New Yorkers !

Surpose the only UK airport where the short code is used a bit is EMA for East Midlands/Castle Donnington/Nottingham /Leicester what ever

Narita and Haneda codes are known but people still refer to the full name in conversation.

N126DL

Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:36 pm

Who could forget ATL?  
DH8 E135/145/175/190 CR2/7/9 A319/20/21 A332/3 D95 M80/83/88/90/95 737/8/9 752/3 763/4 77L

1337Delta764

Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:48 pm

ATL for sure, as well as PHX. One that not everyone seems to get right though is MCO, which is often erroneously referred to as "OIA" by the Orlando media.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

Yflyer

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:11 pm

Locals in the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, NC) often say "RDU" when they talk about RDU.

LOWS

Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:11 pm

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 3):
ATL for sure, as well as PHX. One that not everyone seems to get right though is MCO, which is often erroneously referred to as "OIA" by the Orlando media.

On that note, MCI is usually called KCI.

pu

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:45 am

Quoting zrs70 (Thread starter):
But we call JFK "JFK."

That is at least in part because JFK was already a widely known 'word' by the time they named the airport after the fallen president.

LBJ would probably turn out the same way if they decided to create an airport's code after him, or FDR, because they were commonly known by their initials.

BUT, if they changed DCA's code to RWR does anyone think it would from then on be known by Reagan's initials?

airtrainer

Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:56 am

JFK has to be the most known among non-aviation enthusiasts. Some others are easily identifiable like SYD or HKG, CDG could be in the list too but in France most people refer as Roissy (or Orly for ORY), not sure at all if they know the 3 letters code...
Life is short : eat dessert first !

Viscount724

Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:13 am

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 1):
LAX
JFK
CDG

You also commonly see BWI used in the media and presumably by the general public in the Baltimore and Washington area.

I don't agree with CDG. You never hear anyone in France referring to the airport by the code, and they rarely call it Charles de Gaulle or even just de Gaulle airport (except in AF inflight announcements). It's almost always just "Roissy".

Braniff747SP

Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:02 am

LAX for sure. No one calls LAX "Los Angeles International" or the like; JFK because it's a well-known acronym.

I disagree with CDG; I've never heard that.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

BE77

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:14 am

YVR pushes it as a brand in all their advertising and such...most people on the street just refer to it as 'the airport' in lower case with no special emphasis.

But, other than JFK, I can't think of one airport I have heard co-workers refer to by the identifier, and we are a varied lot (18 different passports at this one location), and all of us are gold in on at least one and often two airlines, but not in the airline industry at all.

Conversations usually go like this - "Yeah, I'm connecting through Miami this time instead of JFK", or "I'll be in Panama a couple hours on the way to Lima", or "Redeye to Amsterdam before connecting to Paris and Dakar".

In fact, other than a perhaps a dozen places worldwide (NY, LA, DC, Moscow, London,etc.) with more than one well used airport serving the region there aren't many airports I think that people would refer to by anything other than the city name..in spite of all the politically motivated naming (or maybe because of it?).
If there are mutliple airports serving the city for domestic or regional traffic, then I thnk usually the suburb or descriptive name is more common (Paris, Montreal, NY other than JFK, London other than LHR, etc.).
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

OB1783P

Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Quoting LOWS (Reply 5):
On that note, MCI is usually called KCI.

My home airport is MDT (Harrisburg), and it calls itself... HIA in advertising, which I believe is a long term problem now that people book online so much. MDT is easy for us to remember since the airport is located in Middletown.

http://www.flyhia.com/
I've flown thousands of miles and I can tell you it's a lot safer than crossing the street!

roberts87

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Perhaps BCN and CPH? Both cities use the airport code to refer to the city (in advertising and all that) as well, not just the airport. Although no one will probably say B-C-N or C-P-H but I'd say those codes are pretty familiar due to their use to describe the city itself.

NWADC9

Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:57 pm

We call PIT "Pitt" or "Greater Pitt" (the old terminal's name). "PIT" is also used in sporting events on scoreboards.
I convert Jet A and 100LL into noise.

LAXintl

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Heard plenty of people in Dallas refer to DFW as DFW.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

LGWflyer

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:38 pm

I say quite often refer to Gatwick as L G W. Not sure if this is widely used, and is just a personal preference by me.
3 words... I Love Aviation!!!

VonRichtofen

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:55 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 14):
Heard plenty of people in Dallas refer to DFW as DFW.

Yep, or as myself and some fellow rampers up here call it: "Dee Eff Dub" 

steex

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:50 pm

The ones that came to mind for me were definitely BWI, DFW, JFK, and LAX. I also know some folks in the Silicon Valley area that call SFO by its call letters to distinguish from SJC (and I suppose also OAK) without saying "San Francisco," but I imagine that's probably not the norm.

bananaboy

Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:09 am

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 15):

I say quite often refer to Gatwick as L G W

... which is more syllables than just saying the name!  

Outside of their immediate areas, I'd say that JFK would be the only airport that is known by it's code by those not involved in the travel / aviation business. LAX seems to be widely recognised too, but to a lesser extent than JFK.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

BNAOWB

Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:24 am

Quoting n126dl (Reply 2):
Who could forget ATL
Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 3):
ATL for sure,

While true for the aviation crowd, locals simply call it "The Airport" since there is no other commercial airport in the Atlanta area. As a lifelong resident, I've never heard locals say "ATL" when talking about the airport.

flymia

Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:11 am

Everyone calls MIA "MIA", down here. MIA is also known in the media/popular culture as being the city of Miami.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

blueflyer

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Locally, at least, DFW is known as... DFW.

I've heard some of my Asian colleagues refer to "Syd" and "Mel"

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 8):
I don't agree with CDG.

+1. Never heard it called anything other than Roissy once outside the airport.
Democracy 2016: 3 million California votes < 100,000 Midwest votes.

PC12Fan

Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Then there is the appropriately titled SUX.  
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

BAViscount

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 15):
I say quite often refer to Gatwick as L G W. Not sure if this is widely used, and is just a personal preference by me.

I've never heard anyone refer to Gatwick as L-G-W (apart from on here) - it's always either just Gatwick, or "Gatters" if you're a bit annoying! 

JFK and LAX get my vote.
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

LGWflyer

Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 23):
I've never heard anyone refer to Gatwick as L-G-W (apart from on here) - it's always either just Gatwick, or "Gatters" if you're a bit annoying!

Ha then it must just be me!  Out of interest I have heard a few people call LGW - The Wick.

BoeingGuy

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Quoting steex (Reply 17):
I also know some folks in the Silicon Valley area that call SFO by its call letters to distinguish from SJC (and I suppose also OAK) without saying "San Francisco," but I imagine that's probably not the norm.

Actually, "SFO" is quite often spoken to refer to the airport, as is "LAX", "JFK" and "DFW" as indicated previously. I've heard "PDX" on rare occasion.

But you never hear "SEA" or "SJC" spoken.

Boeing people say "BFI" all the time, but you almost never hear "PAE" or "RTN". It's Everett or Paine Field and Renton.

zckls04

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:20 pm

SFO is very common in the Bay Area- I would say I hear it more often than not. Mind you, most of the people I know travel quite frequently, and I think more frequent travelers are more likely to use airport codes for expediency.
Four Granavox Turbines!

1337Delta764

Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:40 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 25):
RTN

The code for Renton is RNT, not RTN. RTN is Raton Municipal Airport in Raton, New Mexico.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

BAViscount

Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:07 pm

Quoting LGWflyer (Reply 24):
Out of interest I have heard a few people call LGW - The Wick.

Usually by spotter types I think, in the same way they often refer to LHR as "The Row".  
Ladies & gentlemen this is Captain Tobias Wilcock welcoming you aboard Coconut Airways flight 372 to Bridgetown Barb

steex

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:53 am

I've heard "PDX" on rare occasion

Now that you mention that, I actually have received shipments from a few people in Portland who even used "PDX" in place of "Portland, OR" on the return address.

LGWflyer

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:55 am

Quoting BAViscount (Reply 28):
Usually by spotter types I think, in the same way they often refer to LHR as "The Row".

The Row - I like that! Sounds better than The Wick anyway. I could imagine landing at LHR and the Cabin Crew announces welcome to "The Row"!  Couldn't imagine BA saying that haha.

gunsontheroof

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:12 pm

Quoting be77 (Reply 10):
YVR pushes it as a brand in all their advertising and such...most people on the street just refer to it as 'the airport' in lower case with no special emphasis.

I've noticed this before in Vancouver and was a little surprised by it, though I think "YVR" does have a bit of a ring to it...

Boeing people say "BFI" all the time, but you almost never hear "PAE" or "RTN". It's Everett or Paine Field and Renton.

I've probably heard "BFI" from Boeing folks more times than I've heard Boeing Field, which is kind of funny if you think about it...being modest maybe? "Boeing Field" is what I hear from everyone else in the Seattle area...you sure as hell don't hear anyone call it "King County Int'l". As you said, PAE is always "Paine" or "Renton" and SEA is virtually always "Sea-Tac"

Quoting steex (Reply 29):
Now that you mention that, I actually have received shipments from a few people in Portland who even used "PDX" in place of "Portland, OR" on the return address.

I've definitely heard "PDX" as a reference to Portland as a city many more times than I've heard it used in reference to the airport. Has kind of a catchy air to it, so I can see why the kids (it's almost always younger folks) embraced it. Even then, I've heard folks use it casually in reference to the airport as well.

Getting away from home...I've always thought it a little weird that "DIA" is commonly accepted for DEN (I get it, it just seems strange that folks would use another acronym than the one on their luggage tag) and I've heard this happens at MCI as well with "KCI." Among those that I've been lead to believe stick to the code are BWI, DFW, JFK, LAX, etc. (already covered, just backing up the obvious). Don't know much about international airports...I've always heard AMS as "Schipol" and HEL as "Vantaa"...those are the two I've been around the most.

zrs70
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:12 pm

We often refer to Nantucket as "ACk"
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Mortyman

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:48 am

**********OSL*************