Tugger

Only One Upgrade - Flying With A Spouse/partner

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:11 am

CNN has an article on the age old frequent flyer dilemma of "who gets the upgrade" for couples. Basically there is the simple view: "The person that earned it gets it" and everything else.

So would you give up an upgrade for your spouse/partner? For me I offer it to my wife first, decline it second, take it third but require her to take it next time I get one offered. In that order I would be offering to decline it unless my wife supports my accepting it, essentially she gets to nix it if desired. That's just me, I think it is important that an upgrade not be an issue and it just ain't that big a deal for me.

My buddy who flies a lot more has done the "swap" during a flight but has also had that option disallowed by the crew (when that happens they just switch to "the next flight" the other gets the upgrade).

So what about you?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/05/travel...airline-upgrade-dilemma/index.html

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner

BMI727

RE: Only One Upgrade - Flying With A Spouse/partne

Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:11 am

Quoting tugger (Thread starter):
So would you give up an upgrade for your spouse/partner?

Depends on whether or not you have an extra snowglobe.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

zrs70

Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:10 am

Why not pass the upgrade over and sit together?

Only time I kept an upgrade was when my spouse caused us to get o the airport late. Our sets were given up. They rebooked him into a middle seat and me into business.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

blueflyer

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:30 am

Pass on the upgrade, sit together and enjoy a rare conversation without distraction. That's my take, anyway.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

AR385

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:12 am

Well, this is what I do, but keep in mind I do not have a wife nor a partner at the moment. I show up with my upgrade, and very politely ask the agent at check in if there is any chance my companion can be upgraded too. Sometimes it´s worked, sometimes it hasn´t. Doesn´t hurt to ask, though.

If I don´t get it, if it´s someone significant, I forego the upgrade and we seat together wherever our original cabin was.

Cubsrule

Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Quoting AR385 (Reply 4):
Well, this is what I do, but keep in mind I do not have a wife nor a partner at the moment. I show up with my upgrade, and very politely ask the agent at check in if there is any chance my companion can be upgraded too. Sometimes it´s worked, sometimes it hasn´t. Doesn´t hurt to ask, though.

I've asked for the downgrade in the past and had my wife get upgraded instead. Giving the upgrade to someone deserving (e.g. a soldier traveling in uniform) is another good choice, although the trouble with that is that it doesn't guarantee seats together in coach.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

IAHFLYR

Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 5):
Giving the upgrade to someone deserving (e.g. a soldier traveling in uniform) is another good choice, although the trouble with that is that it doesn't guarantee seats together in coach.

That is my preferred choice, give it to the U.S. Military and I'd bet the gate agent will take care of ya and figure out a way to sit you and companion together, plus make sure the flight attendants know what you did and you'll get some perks onboard.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Tugger

Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:03 pm

You know, I'm impressed, I figured for sure there would be many that would be of the "I earned it, I get it, I use it". It is good to hear the opposite. I have always been fine with giving it up and instead sitting with the one I love. Of course it is nicest when we can both get upgraded!  

Tugg .
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. -W. Shatner