LHRBFSTrident
Topic Author

UK APD - Applied Inconsistently By Carrier?

Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:43 pm

I thought I understood the UK APD but with the latest increases I really need to understand it better!

I guess I am confused because I 'purchased' an award ticket with AA miles on IB for LHR-MAD-EZE in J in December and originally I was charged approx US$100 for all taxes and fees.

I subsequently changed the routing to LHR-MAD-COR (Cordoba, Argentina) on IB in J and the ticket was re-issued - this time the taxes and fees were approx US$400, excluding the ticket change fee/miles redeposit fee.

AA told me that the original agent who issued the ticket made a mistake and neglected to charge the APD from UK toArgentina and had only charged the APD from UK to Spain.

So which is correct - is the APD charged to the final destination regardless of connecting point?
And if the carrier makes an error in calculating the taxs/fees/APD, are they ultimately on the hook for it?

Viscount724

RE: UK APD - Applied Inconsistently By Carrier?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:21 am

Quoting LHRBFSTrident (Thread starter):
So which is correct - is the APD charged to the final destination regardless of connecting point?

It's based on the final destination. You can get around that if there's a surface sector in the middle. For example if you flew LHR-BCN then made your own way to MAD and continued MAD-EZE you would only pay the APD based on LHR-BCN (unless they've closed that loophole recently). Or you could avoid paying it all the way if you bought two separate tickets, e.g. LHR-MAD and MAD-EZE, but whether you would saveanything would depend on the sum of the two fares compared to the through fare LHR-EZE including the APD.

Quoting LHRBFSTrident (Thread starter):
And if the carrier makes an error in calculating the taxs/fees/APD, are they ultimately on the hook for it?

Since you changed the routing, they applied the correct charges for the new routing. I would say you just got lucky with the original ticket.

bananaboy

RE: UK APD - Applied Inconsistently By Carrier?

Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:41 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 1):
You can get around that if there's a surface sector in the middle. For example if you flew LHR-BCN then made your own way to MAD and continued MAD-EZE you would only pay the APD based on LHR-BCN

You could also stop en-route for more than 24 hours. The APD "band" is then charged according to the stopover point, not the final destination.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing