Max Q
Topic Author

Angled Cabin Seats, Is It Disconcerting?

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:28 am

It seems that more and more Airlines are installing seats at an angle in their First and Business class cabins.

Does anyone find being seated like this unpleasant ? Maybe it's just me but I like being 'lined up' with the direction of flight.

Not to mention it looks weird, like a bunch of really crowded office cubicles !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

SA7700

RE: Angled Cabin Seats, Is It Disconcerting?

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:57 am

Of course there must be certain trade-offs involved in order for airlines to make the final decision to install at an angle. People travelling together may find it a hindrance to conversation depending on the specific layout. However, many solo travelers may welcome the degree of privacy it offers, in contrast with a “straight-line layout”.

I have had the privilege of flying in Executive First on Air Canada on their 77W’s and must say that I actually prefer the angled layout much more than the straight-line layout that one would find in South African Airways’ Business Class, which I still find a good product. Some may flame me for this, but I don’t like the new business class product on SQ’s A380’s or 77W’s. Sure there are different positives and negatives to each configuration, but I guess you cannot please everyone.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

fiscal

Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 am

In BA F class the privacy afforded is good. I don't mind having the wife seat by herself, as we both sleep on the long haul flights, and we do not talk much due to aircraft noise, so angled seats are fine by me.

In J the only angled seats I have used was on a couple of Cathay flights, and once again, they were fine, although a lot more "cosier" than first...

aerorobnz

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:14 pm

I've only travelled in one style angled seat in J, being NZ which I am very happy with, I'm a single traveller with a penchant for privacy and a feeling like it is my own space. That is easily achieved in these seats as soon as you board the aeroplane.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

readytotaxi

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:31 pm

I have done BA First at an angle and the Club straight on,and reverse, for me it doesn't matter. I do,however, like to be able to look out the window from my seat with ease, that is important to me.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

RyanairGuru

Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:41 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 1):
I don’t like the new business class product on SQ’s A380’s or 77W’s

It's better than SQ's A330s and short-haul 777s! My mother flew SQ J last month and loved the space and privacy of her one 77W flight, but all the rest were on 333s of which she didn't have anything positive to say!

The SQ long-haul product is great is you like to curl up, sit sideways, lie at an angle etc. If, however, you simply sleep lying straight out then it's problematic. I personally sleep in the foetal position so having that extra width would suit me perfectly, but it's obviously personal preference.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

kiwiandrew

Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:38 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 3):
I've only travelled in one style angled seat in J, being NZ which I am very happy with

Me too, I have been in BP 3 times and loved it. The flights were all overnight sectors so I wasn't really fussed about not being able to easily look out the window... there was nothing to see anyway. I would far rather have a horizontal bed which is angled laterally than a sloping bed as so many airlines have (I'm a restless sleeper, so on a sloped bed I end up sliding downhill two or three times in a night, waking up in a crumpled heap and then having to get up and remake my bed).

Of course the preference is a very individual thing which means that no airline is going to please all their customers.