itsonlyme
Topic Author

Business/First Class Configurations

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:41 pm

This is possibly a can of worms, but seeing the info regarding the new Lufthansa Business Class seat got me thinking once again about this. What is the ideal premium configuration? Obviously airlines differ, personal preferences differ etc. Lufthansa for example, with its new First Class, has a separate bed next to the seat. This seems great, imo, because it really differentiates the hard product from business class. Some airlines have 1-2-1 layout in J, which can seem a bit wasteful, space wise, then you have BA or UA which have 2-4-2 in their 744/777's. I've never been a huge fan of the herringbone layout, especially if you were travelling with someone. 2-2-2 appears a good layout, but then some people complain about aisle access for the window seats. I also really like the layout Swiss has in business. Just wanted to see what people thought.

HT

RE: Business/First Class Configurations

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:00 pm

DL's herringbone layout makes looking out of the window (especially looking downwards) very difficult. I am tall but still it was a problem for me, flying ATL - DTW.

I prefer the traditional 2-2-2 layout found on a number of european airlines; window seat for daylight flights, aisle seat in the center for redeyes.
Any 2-3-2 is a nuisance.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

Longhornmaniac

RE: Business/First Class Configurations

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:20 pm

It also depends on what you're calling First vs. Business. DL's premium product is a hybrid, but configured more like a traditional business.

AA's F is 1-2-1, which seems to be pretty standard. AFAIK, SQ's Suites are 1-2-1, as well.

Depending on the size of the seat, either 1-1-1 or 1-2-1 are good for F. Obviously 1-1-1 would be preferred since it means a larger seat.

For J, I think 2-2-2 with every seat having aisle access is the best.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron