sk736

A Very Short Trip To Cologne - Realistic?

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:12 pm

I have an idea that one Saturday afternoon I'm going to fly the new Germanwings service from LHR to CGN and back. My plan is to take the 1350 outbound service, arriving CGN at 1615 then returning on the 1805 service from CGN - less than 2 hours later!. Is such a short transit at CGN a crazy idea?

aloges

RE: A Very Short Trip To Cologne - Realistic?

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Unless your inbound is delayed or you book two different tickets and one of the flights gets rescheduled, you'll be fine. You can check in days in advance (three, IIRC) and the walking distances at CGN are quite manageable.

Perhaps you will even be able to remain in the secure area; I don't remember exactly if there's any need to scan your boarding pass at the entrance to the screening area. But even if they do that, it may not be a requirement... anyway, if you arrive with your boarding pass for the return already printed, you can always ask the staff at CGN whether or not you need to go outside.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

roberts87

Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:13 pm

Yes, shouldn't be a problem at all. CGN is a small airport so even if you do have to go landside there is not problem in catching the connection. CGN is also set up to handle connections, if I recall correct arriving pax are released into the departures area so you could in theory just remain there and proceed to the departure gate.

L410Turbolet

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:09 am

Quoting SK736 (Thread starter):
Is such a short transit at CGN a crazy idea?

I think it is a bit silly and a pity to fly somewhere only to turn around at an airport and fly back. Especially if it's a "real" destination like Bonn-Cologne with lots to see and do, airport well connected by public transport... I'd probably hang around for a while (afaik there are 3 flights a day). But that's just me and maybe I am not aviation geek enough.

debonair

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:49 am

Is such a short transit at CGN a crazy idea?

Nope, CGN is a very small airport and a GERMANWINGS hub - so after arrival you can walk straight to their transfer counter. They will be happy to assist you!

wilco737

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:12 am

Shouldn't be a problem, but the city of Cologne is so nice, you should plane a couple of hours to see the city.

Simply flying somewhere to fly back is not enough in my opinion. I guess you just want to fly for the fun of it  

wilco737

sk736

Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:22 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 3):
I think it is a bit silly and a pity to fly somewhere only to turn around at an airport and fly back. Especially if it's a "real" destination like Bonn-Cologne with lots to see and do, airport well connected by public transport... I'd probably hang around for a while (afaik there are 3 flights a day). But that's just me and maybe I am not aviation geek enough.
Quoting wilco737 (Reply 5):
Shouldn't be a problem, but the city of Cologne is so nice, you should plane a couple of hours to see the city.

Simply flying somewhere to fly back is not enough in my opinion. I guess you just want to fly for the fun of it

If I had more time, I'd certainly go into the city but the purpose of this trip is just to try out a new airline and log a couple of new aircraft.

HT

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:51 pm

As the others have said: No problem with that itinerary.
You even can choose to perform OLCI and bring along your printed BP's or to make a new check-in at GCN, either landside or at 4U's transfer counter (after having cleared immigration into Schengen zone an that intended trip).

And, no, being an A.netter it is nowhere *strange* to just fly into some airport and straight back w/o visiting the city that airport is serving. 
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

signol

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:13 am

If the outward is on time, you might be able to visit the rooftop viewing terrace. Not a huge amount of traffic when I was there though!
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PicRZGjHxJI/TuM8Ai-eY1I/AAAAAAAAAdo/uwKJTs5tsc0/s1600/PC080216.JPG
http://signol.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12...-weihnachtsmarkt-by-train-and.html

It is accessible landside only.

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

Ps76

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi!

I have flown to airports for a couple of hours and flown back many many times so it isn't strange at all for me. Just make sure you're careful with delays and stuff. I once missed my return flight in Dublin and had to pay Ryanair a large amount of cash.

Oh and of course make sure you get window seats!

Happy flying!

Pierre