readytotaxi
Topic Author

Airline With The "Best" Inflight Magazine.

Wed May 02, 2012 2:59 pm

Which airline out there has the best magazine in the seatback, the one you want and do take home with you?
Not talking about a gastly shopping/dutyfree book but one with interesting articles in, well written with god pics.
The BA offering used to be good a few years back but now tetters on dull to okay.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

pnd100

RE: Airline With The "Best" Inflight Magazine.

Wed May 02, 2012 3:38 pm

My votes are as follows

1. enRoute by AC
2. JetScreen by 9W
3. Air France Magazine

Key things I look for in inflight magazines are interesting articles, airline & airport information, fleet information, route network, contact information

whiskeyhotel

Wed May 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Canadian North's was pretty interesting. Articles printed in both English and Inuit. Made for interesting reading on my 737-200M from YEG to YZF.

BoeingGuy

Wed May 02, 2012 6:54 pm

I think AS's in-flight magazine is pretty good. The articles are usually very interesting and it's well laid out. It's much better than AA's magazine.

Akiestar

Thu May 03, 2012 4:14 am

I actually enjoyed Kaleidoscope (LOT) and the Holland Herald (KLM) very much, so I have brought home copies of both magazines at one point or another.

OA260

Thu May 03, 2012 1:00 pm

I like the following :

Turkish Airlines - SkyLife

Olympic Air - On Air

Aer Lingus - Cara

LOT - Kaleidoscope

Swiss - Swiss Magazine

mauiman31

Thu May 03, 2012 4:35 pm

I always enjoy reading "CL - Celebrated Living" AA and AA Eagle's premium cabin magazine.

Checo77

Thu May 03, 2012 9:57 pm

In Europe, my number one is KLM´s Holland Herald- lots of fun facts, great articles, not-so-much advertisements, plus very nicely done fleet section.

In the USA, my favorite is Delta´s Sky Magazine.

In Latin America, my vote goes to Avianca´s magazine.
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

zrs70

Thu May 03, 2012 11:27 pm

In the US, DELTA's is really high quality in terms of journalism. The others pale in compassion.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

RyanairGuru

Fri May 04, 2012 8:14 am

Quoting readytotaxi (Thread starter):
The BA offering used to be good a few years back

Yes I remember HighLife back in the late 1990s/early 2000s and it was a great magazine. I flew BA for the first time in 8 years in January and was disappointed to see how far downhill it had gone (unfortunately it was somewhat representative of the entire airline )

PMUS Attache was a great read as well.

More vote goes to Qantas Australian Way. It always has interesting and well written stories in it, which canvas just about everything from places to visit in Australia and overseas to "lifestyle interest" (or whatever they call them!)

Quoting Checo77 (Reply 7):

It's definitely the best I know in the USA.

At the other end of the heap, I can't stand Virgin Blue Voyeur. A lot of the articles read as though they were written by an American media group and then sold to various magazines. I don't mean anything against Americans by that comment, it's just that you can tell by a story's perspective that it wasn't written for an Australian audience.

[Edited 2012-05-04 01:16:53]
Worked Hard, Flew Right

jetblue777

Sat May 05, 2012 1:53 am

Quoting Checo77 (Reply 7):

I agree! DL's Sky Magazine is definitely the best one here in the US, I've started a collection actually  

Also, on a related note...they also have the best Safety Cards (and I also have a collection haha)

jetBlue777
It's a cultural thing.

Akiestar

Wed May 09, 2012 6:53 am

This seems very, very appropriate: CNN just released this today! http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/li...irline-magazines-523957?page=0%2C0

RyanairGuru

Wed May 09, 2012 9:33 am

Quoting Akiestar (Reply 11):

What a great article! I really enjoyed reading it.

From the three magazines I'm familiar with (QF, DL, NZ) I have to say that I thought the descriptions (while slight tongue-in-cheek) were pretty accurate.

As an example, this is Australian Way perfectly condensed into a few lines... I read it cover-to-cover every month, and I'm shocked at how accurate it is:

Basics: Big, glossy, bold, brassy

Perfect reader: Every polite yet rambunctious Australian you’ve ever met.

Words: The focus is almost exclusively on luxe travel, which the magazine delivers with hearty self-confidence, imparting both its smartest tips (how to find the hidden glories the Mexican state of Chihuahua) and dumbest jokes (that same story’s sub-head: “Small dog, big destination”).

Look: The overall design could use renovation, but sprawling photos of amazing Down Under landscapes are an unbeatable trump card.

Gold star: The voluminous travel content is packed with actionable info.

Black mark: Cheese. They can’t resist a headline pun (golf feature: “Fairways to Heaven;” coastal destination profile: “Life’s a Beach”).

Final verdict: Like a chatty, informed seatmate who’s had a cocktail or two.

My only question mark is EK coming in at #2. I've flown EK many many times, and have virtually no recollection of their magazine. That's not to say it's not good, just unmemorable.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

longhauler

Sat May 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Duplication in error.

Cheers.

[Edited 2012-05-19 13:42:03]
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!