ukpbz
Topic Author

Travelling From San Jose To Castle AFB Museum

Wed May 09, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi All

I have the pleasure of driving from San Jose to Castle AFB in a couple of weeks. Are there any airports/airfields I can go and take decent photos at? Don't mind which route I take  

Thanks

BoeingGuy

RE: Travelling From San Jose To Castle AFB Museum

Wed May 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Hi Ukpbz,

If you were to drive the most direct route from SJC to Castle AFB you won't pass any airports except for a few general aviation fields. That would be highway 680 to 580 and then over Altamont Pass.

I'd suggest taking a detour to SFO and OAK. Highway 101 passes right in front of the end of SJC's runways, and then 35 miles up the road passes in sight of the 28s and in front of the 1s and 10s. You can get some good photos at SJC, particularly from the frontage road and nearby overpass at the arrival end of the 30s. Likewise at SFO there a several good locations. You can go to that waterfront area in Burlingame and get the oft-repeated photos of airplanes arriving on the 28s.

OAK is just across the bay from SFO. You go back down 101 for a few miles; east on 92 across the San Mateo bridge; and then north on 880 to the OAK exit. I'm not as familiar with the layout there, but I'm sure you can find something.

Then you can end up over on 580 East into the San Joaquin Valley to Castle AFB.

I hope this helps.

ukpbz
Topic Author

RE: Travelling From San Jose To Castle AFB Museum

Thu May 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks BoeingGuy

I know the Bay Area quite well so will be ok there

Cheers