tsugambler
Topic Author

Best Airport In Eastern Virginia?

Wed May 16, 2012 6:28 am

My brother and his family are moving to Yorktown, Virginia, and I plan on visiting them in August. Which would be the best airport for me to fly to--RIC, ORF, or PHF? I'd like to fly out of STL, since I'll already be there the weekend before I leave, but I'll drive to ORD if I have to.

threeifbyair

RE: Best Airport In Eastern Virginia?

Wed May 16, 2012 3:59 pm

I'm not a local, but I had a similar decision to make for a recent family wedding in Williamsburg. Ultimately, I decided to fly into DCA and drive in order to take the nonstop from SEA.

From a purely location standpoint, PHF is the best. It is the closest airport, obviously, but it doesn't have as much service as the other airports. US via CLT/PHL or DL via ATL are your only options.

RIC to Yorktown can be very slow as traffic can be horrible on I-64. I ran into terrible traffic beginning many miles west of Williamsburg. This was a Friday afternoon, though.

ORF to Yorktown requires taking one of the tunnels, which can also be prone to traffic problems.

If you're arriving at night, traffic is probably not a factor, so RIC and ORF might be better options.