zrs70
Topic Author

Major Carriers That Do Not Include Geographic Name

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Most major carriers have names that obviously connect them to their country/region. What are the ones that don't? (I'll include acronyms, as their means usually aren't obvious). Let's look at both current and defunct carriers.

Lufthansa
El Al
MALEV
Aer Lingus ( unless Lingus is a place!)
Aeroflot
Braniff
People Express
Sabena
Qantas
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

cedarjet

RE: Major Carriers That Do Not Include Geographic

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:34 pm

Olympic Airways. Now only a domestic carrier but for decades was a prestigious national flag carrier flying 747s to five continents (if that sounds unlikely given the state of Greece and it's airlines in 2012, let me remind you: Europe of course; North America - NY, Toronto; Asia - Bangkok, Singapore, Tokyo; Australia - Mel, Syd; Africa - Nairobi, Jo'burg).

MEA Middle East Airlines. Obviously refers by name to the general region but it is the flag carrier for Lebanon, a single country (as opposed to the old Gulf Air or Air Afrique that is named after the region but this made sense cos they actually had bases in more than one country).

Ansett.

Alia. The old name for Royal Jordanian. "Alia" is a popular girls name in Arabic, and King Hussein named his national airline after his daughter. Name changed to Royal Jordanian Airlines in the late 80s.

Continental Airlines.

National Airlines.

(Technically QANTAS and Lufthansa refer to their origin - QANTAS is of course an acronym and stands for Queensland And Northern Territory Air Service; and Hansa was a medieval German empire, so perhaps it's like BA being Albion Airways or Turkish Airlines being Air Byzantine.)
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Yflyer

Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:38 pm

Ones I can think of in the US off the top of my head:

Allegient
Spirit
AirTran
Frontier (I guess you could argue that "the frontier" is a place, but it's not refering to any specific geographic location)
United (Unless "United" refers to the United States, but I don't think it does)
Continental (I kind of debated about that one, but since it doesn't refer to any specific continent I decided it counts)

Europe:
Ryanair
EasyJet

signol

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:32 pm

Jetstar
Kulula
Mango
1Time
Air Austral (kind of...)
KLM (translates as "Royal Air transport Company")
Gol
Avianca
Taca
LAN
Transaero
Braathens

signol
Flights booked: NWI-AMS-JNB-DUR, JNB-AMS-NWI

srbmod

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:45 pm

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 2):
Frontier (I guess you could argue that "the frontier" is a place, but it's not refering to any specific geographic location)

For most Americans, you say Frontier and the western US typically comes to mind, which happens to be the region of the US both incarnations of Frontier are from.

Quoting Yflyer (Reply 2):
United (Unless "United" refers to the United States, but I don't think it does)

The United name is from when it was known as United Air Lines and was owned by United Aircraft & Transportation, which was a company that "united" business interests in all areas of aviation (engine manufacturers, aircraft manufacturers, airlines). United Aircraft & Transportation was broken up as the result of the Air Mail Act of 1934, which also resulted in United Air Lines being renamed United Airlines as well as a number of airlines due to their "predecessor" airlines being banned from flying and the airlines simply renamed themselves slightly (For example Northwest Airways became Northwest Airlines, American Airways became American Airlines.).

1337Delta764

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:05 pm

BTW, very few know this, but the origin of the Delta name for Delta Air Lines refers to the Mississippi River Delta, since Delta's former headquarters was in Monroe, Louisiana, which is on the Mississippi River Delta.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

planejamie

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:20 pm

West Jet
Jetblue
easyJet
Ryanair (I think)
AF Cityjet
KLM Cityflyer
flybe (the BE part used to be 'British European, but I think it's lost all meaning now there's a flybe nordic)

airtrainer

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Maybe not all majors but here are a few...
JetStar
Tiger Airways
Frontier
Tarom
Lot
Wizzair
JetairFly
Avianca
LAN
Condor

...and many more  
Life is short : eat dessert first !

aloges

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:16 pm

Dragonair (if you consider them major)
TAM (the M used to stand for the city of Marília and then for "Meridionais" which is "southern" in Portuguese)

There are also FlyLo and Our Lady Air...   
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

BE77

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Quoting planejamie (Reply 6):
West Jet

Have to challenge that one- Westjet definitely refers to the geographic "West" in Canada. Founded in Calgary, the early plan had it serving the West (generally referring to everything west of the Ontario-Manitoba border). It has since expanded of course.

Other Canadian examples of smaller but notable air services::
Porter Airlines
First Air
Jazz

Arguable
SkyService (Is the Sky a geographic location?)
SunWings (Refers to winter vacation spots, so might be a geographic reference similar to SouthWest, etc.,etc.)
Harbour Air (I don't know if this refers to '1' Harbour specifically, or if it means any harbour!
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

BE77

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:45 pm

Hmmm, this far into the thread, and we are having trouble deciding if Virgin is a geographic location or destination?
I suppose it could be consdiered a place to go...or a place to get away from.
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

Viscount724

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:37 pm

Former Canadian carrier Wardair (acquired by Canadian Airlines in 1989), named for its bush pilot founder and CEO for its entire history, Max Ward (now 90 and still living in YEG where he was born).

Recent interview:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...-aviation-industry/article4219779/

MHTripple7

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:40 pm

How about:

Etihad
TAM Airlines
GOL
EVA Air
Jet Airways
Kingfisher
Arik Air
Aerosvit

[Edited 2012-06-11 15:41:23]

steex

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:28 pm

Quoting zrs70 (Thread starter):
Qantas

This is true now, but QANTAS was originally an acronym standing for "Queensland and Northern Territory Aerial Services."

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 1):
MEA Middle East Airlines

The OP included region, which I would certainly say applies. Just because the airline chose an ambitious name attempting to cover the entire broader region doesn't make it any less geographic.

Quoting airtrainer (Reply 7):
Lot
- - - - - -
Avianca

LOT is actually named "Polskie Linie Lotnicze LOT" in Polish, and does business as "LOT Polish Airlines" in English. In both cases, it definitely refers to Poland. Avianca is an acronym in Spanish for "Aerovías Nacionales de Colombia," so it also references its country.

Coal

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Qantas

Queensland And Northern Territory Air Service (or so). How is that not a geographical name?

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

Gemuser

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:15 am

Quoting Coal (Reply 14):
Qantas

Queensland And Northern Territory Air Service (or so). How is that not a geographical name?

Cheers
Coal

Because there is no airline today named Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service and has not been since the 1930s. The name is "Qantas" which really has no geographical referents and doesn't even stand for Q.A.N.T.A.S any more. How many people think of Queensland & the Northern Territory when they hear "Qantas"? Not many, even in Australia.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

initious

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:17 am

Lion Air
Silkair
Firefly
Scoot
Ryanair
Easyjet
Jetblue

That's all I can think for now.
One way I will fly around the world!

RyanairGuru

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:17 am

Aer Lingus ( unless Lingus is a place!)

It doesn't make it any more "geographically relevant", but...

Aer Lingus is gaelic for "airlines"

The only other airline I can come up with with such a name is the re-branding of AR as simply "Aerolineas"
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Bluebird191

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:47 am

I'm one for arguing that Qantas does include geography - when QF was founded back in the 1920's, it was an acronym for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service. They may not promote their acronym (or should we say former acronym) but thats what it did signify back in the day. Now that Qantad almost considers Sydney and Melbourne as almost the sole international airports in Australia, the acronym sadly no longer carries any meaning or significance.

zrs70
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:26 am

I wrote in my op that acronyms don't make the place obvious. Thus Qantas, Sabena, etc are on my list.

Let's add TWA.

steex

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:33 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 17):

The only other airline I can come up with with such a name is the re-branding of AR as simply "Aerolineas"

Aeroflot would be pretty close, with a literal translation of "Air Fleet" in English.

Looking again through some of the lists above, I noticed a few more that people have named but are indeed geographically named:

Malev Hungarian - this one is a little bit of a grey area since Malev Ltd. was the name of the company, but they always did business as Malev Hungarian Airlines.

TACA - this was originally an acronym for Transportes Aéreos Centroamericanos (Central American Air Transport), but has been changed and now is an acronym for Transportes Aéreos del Continente Americano (Air Transport of the American Continent). Either way, both are based in geography.

TAROM - TAROM is an acronym for "Transporturile Aeriene Române" in the full name S.C. Compania Națională de Transporturi Aeriene Române TAROM S.A. However, even with the acronym, the company does business as TAROM Romanian Air Transport.

Coal

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:13 am

Quoting steex (Reply 20):
TACA - this was originally an acronym for Transportes Aéreos Centroamericanos (Central American Air Transport), but has been changed and now is an acronym for Transportes Aéreos del Continente Americano (Air Transport of the American Continent). Either way, both are based in geography.

Same for Avianca. It used to be Aerovias Nacionales de Colombia (previously known as Scadta, Sociedad Colombo-Alemana de Transporte Aereo). Now, Avianca stands for something like Aerovias del Continente Americano, which makes sense given their merger with TA.

Cheers
Coal
Nxt Flts: MI RGN-SIN | SQ SIN-RGN-SIN | CX SIN-HKG-PVG | SQ PVG-SIN

TW

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:52 am

The names of Sabena and TAM do refer to their geographic origin.
Sabena = Société Anonyme Belge d’Exploitation de la Navigation Aérienne
TAM = Taxi Aéreo Marilia (a city in the state of SP)

aloges

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 am

Quoting TW (Reply 22):
TAM = Taxi Aéreo Marilia (a city in the state of SP)

That used to be the meaning. They changed it to "Transportes Aéreos Meridionais" and nowadays, AFAIK, the acronym isn't supposed to mean anything.

In any case:

I'll include acronyms, as their means usually aren't obvious
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

TruemanQLD

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:18 am

I find it funny that QF doesn't even mention Australia in the name, but would (arguably) be the most recognised airline in the world, just by its tail...

hoons90

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Spring Airlines
SpiceJet
Airblue
Jin Air
Peach Aviation
Uni Air
Transavia
Windjet
Vueling
Colgan Air
Pinnacle Airlines
Republic Airlines
Compass Airlines
Comair
Volaris
InterJet
VivaAerobus
Sky Airline
Azul Linhas Aereas
AeroRepublica
Our Airline
Small Planet
Thomas Cook
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

eurowings

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 17):
Aer Lingus is gaelic for "airlines"

Close, but "Lingus" isn't actually an Irish Gaelic word, it's an Anglicisation of "Loingeas", which means 'fleet' or 'shipping'. In this context it's the former. So, it's actually Air Fleet, the same as Aeroflot!

Some more suggestions (it's difficult to define "major", especially if some of the airlines have fleets of 40+ aircraft):

Transaero Airlines
Olympic Airways and their successor Olympic Air (although it's linked to the ancient site of Olympia in Greece, the birthplace of the Olympic Games).
TUIfly, Arkefly, JetairFly and Thomson Airways - all the major TUI Group Charter Airlines in Europe
Monarch Airlines
NIKI
Jet2
Pegasus Airlines
S7 (Siberia Airlines trades under this name)

[Edited 2012-06-12 09:08:34]
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

steex

Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 19):
I wrote in my op that acronyms don't make the place obvious. Thus Qantas, Sabena, etc are on my list.

Let's add TWA.

I think most people knew what TWA stood for, but I reckon you could probably still include it since "world" lacks any specificity at all in a geographic sense.

Even including acronyms, though, I think I'd still eliminate LOT and MEA from the list. I think the geographic portion of their names is integral, not lost in acronym - especially LOT, considering they always use "LOT Polish Airlines" and even the planes are marked as such. Not an acronym, but ditto for Malev, as their planes all said "Malev Hungarian Airlines."

zrs70
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:24 am

Which of these is a major carrier?

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 25):

Spring Airlines
SpiceJet
Airblue
Jin Air
Peach Aviation
Uni Air
Transavia
Windjet
Vueling
Colgan Air
Pinnacle Airlines
Republic Airlines
Compass Airlines
Comair
Volaris
InterJet
VivaAerobus
Sky Airline
Azul Linhas Aereas
AeroRepublica
Our Airline
Small Planet
Thomas Cook

hoons90

Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:08 am

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 28):
Which of these is a major carrier?

Spring Airlines: 28 aircraft + 5 on order
SpiceJet: 40 aircraft + 29 on order
Transavia: 32 aircraft
Vueling: 55 aircraft
Colgan Air: 62 aircraft
Pinnacle Airlines: 199 aircraft
Republic Airlines: 81 aircraft + 72 on order
Comair: 68 aircraft
Volaris: 35 aircraft + 55 on order
Azul: 49 aircraft + 40 on order
Thomas Cook: 35 aircraft + 6 on order

You listed MALEV as a major carrier, which had 24 aircraft in its fleet at the time of its demise. If Malev can be in that list, then there aren't any reasons why those airlines can't be on that list. Being a flag carrier of a country alone does not necessarily make it a major airline, at least in terms of size and brand awareness.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

zrs70
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:05 am

Quoting HOONS90 (Reply 29):
You listed MALEV as a major carrier, which had 24 aircraft in its fleet at the time of its demise. If Malev can be in that list, then there aren't any reasons why those airlines can't be on that list. Being a flag carrier of a country alone does not necessarily make it a major airline, at least in terms of size and brand awareness.

My bad! I should remove People Express, then, as well! There are tons on small, mickey mouse airlines, that have more generic names, which is why I wanted to steer clear of that. But I suppose I opened the door to minutia with my opening post!

Akiestar

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:30 am

MALEV

Like LOT, Malév in Hungarian stands for Magyar Légiközlekedési Vállalat, which literally means "Hungarian Airlines".

srbmod

Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Quoting steex (Reply 27):
I think most people knew what TWA stood for, but I reckon you could probably still include it since "world" lacks any specificity at all in a geographic sense.

The original name for TWA was Transcontinental & Western Air (It was created from the merger of Transcontinental Air Transport and Western Air Express.). The airline was renamed to Trans World Airlines after WWII when they were able to break Pan Am's monopoly as America's sole international airline and start service to overseas destinations.