boeing773er

AA Reservation - Showing US Flights

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:12 pm

I was on the AA website making a dummy reservation on the AA website (ABE-LHR) and I saw the strangest thing. AA was selling tickets on US flights. I have never seen this before.

Now, can airlines do this without any formal interline/alliance agreement or something?

Just for example it came up like this:

Work Hard, Fly Right.

FURUREFA

RE: AA Reservation - Showing US Flights

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Quoting Boeing773ER (Thread starter):
Now, can airlines do this without any formal interline/alliance agreement or something

No. But AA and US interline, hence they're able to do so.

BoeingGuy

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:24 pm

Quoting Boeing773ER (Thread starter):
I was on the AA website making a dummy reservation on the AA website (ABE-LHR) and I saw the strangest thing. AA was selling tickets on US flights. I have never seen this before.

Now, can airlines do this without any formal interline/alliance agreement or something?

Just for example it came up like this:

It's quite common. If you look at one of the selections when making a reservation on AA.com, you can select if you only want the computer to bring back flights on AA only; One World only; or all airlines. There's a place on AA's web site in which it lists which other carriers' flights can be selected on AA.com. I know AF and DL are on there. I once purchased a ticket on Varig on AA.com as part of a connection from Brazil back to SEA.

I know what conspiracy theory you might be thinking of by wondering why US flights show on AA.com, but sorry to disappoint you. It means absolutely nothing - just like it meant nothing to anybody except the conspiracy theorists when the CEO of AS went within 100 miles of ATL and someone posted that on A.net.  

chepos

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:24 pm

US and many airlines interline with airlines outside their alliances or codeshare partner, this is nothing new.

Regards,

Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

boeing773er

Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Thank you, I just was not aware that AA and US interlined their flights.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

sw733

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:15 pm

Quoting Boeing773ER (Reply 4):
Thank you, I just was not aware that AA and US interlined their flights.

Most larger airlines do. Better to sell a portion of the trip on your own metal rather than tell the customer "We can't fly you there" and force them to go to a different airline completely.

planeguy727

Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:18 am

I've found that AA is the only major US carrier that so openly displays non-aligned carriers on their online booking engine. You generally don't find this non-partner option on DL, US, UA, WN, etc.
I want to live in an old and converted 727...