daver3188
Topic Author

San Francisco Airport Questions

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:54 pm

This year I am flying to San Francisco to watch the 49ers play, I have never been. So I was just wondering what is the easiest airport to fly into in the Bay Area.

Everytime I look on flightaware.com SFO ALWAYS has delays.

but

San Jose looks alright, except for the fact that it is so far away from the city of San Francisco and the stadium.

Also

I am putting Oakland out of the question becuase it is on the other side of the bay.

Any help is needed, I would be getting a hotel hopefully near the stadium.

BoeingGuy

RE: San Francisco Airport Questions

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Quoting daver3188 (Thread starter):
I am putting Oakland out of the question becuase it is on the other side of the bay.

Actually you can get from OAK to downtown San Francisco fairly efficiently on BART. Where do you plan to stay? You can get from SJC to many places very efficiently by Caltrain. If you know what you are doing, you can easily walk from the Caltrain Bayshore station to Candlestick Park.

So tell me where your hotel is; what kind of transportation you'll have (e.g. whether you rent a car or not); and what other activities you plan there, and I'll see if I can give some helpful hints.

Cubsrule

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:32 pm

Also, many times of the year, SFO delays are much worse in the morning, so if you are flying an airline besides UA, you are apt to be all right with an arrival after, say, 2:00 p.m. even on a bad weather day.

OAK and SJC are much better plugged in to public transportation than most U.S. airports, but SFO's BART station is the easiest of the three hands down.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

roseflyer

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:45 pm

SFO is the the easiest to get to candlestick park. It's quite close.

SFO often has flow control delays, especially in the morning during fall/winter/spring. If you are coming from the east coast, take a morning flight that flies from somewhere east of the rockies. Flow control is never issued for the early departures from ORD/MSP/DTW/JFK, etc. Flow Control really hits the shorter flights from the west coast into SFO.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

aklrno

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 3):

SFO is the the easiest to get to candlestick park. It's quite close.

SFO often has flow control delays, especially in the morning during fall/winter/spring. If you are coming from the east coast, take a morning flight that flies from somewhere east of the rockies. Flow control is never issued for the early departures from ORD/MSP/DTW/JFK, etc. Flow Control really hits the shorter flights from the west coast into SFO.

I agree, but I must point out that summer isn't that great either. The OP didn't say where he was coming from. If it's a flight departing early in the day from far away SFO should be fine. If you are flying from RNO (nominally about 45 minutes) it is often faster to drive the 200 or so miles.

If you are planning a round trip, then the flow control can get you on the return no matter where you are going. If you are planning on connections in either direction you are probably doomed.

I almost never get delayed into OAK or SJC. If cost is an issue you can take a shuttle to the BART station at OAK and get fairly close to Candlestick (actually, you could take it all the way to SFO possibly beating a flight scheduled to SFO).

SFO is a beautiful airport and there is lots to see and do there, but I hate having to use it.