I flew IAD-FRA last Saturday.
A few thoughts and observations on Lufthansa's newest bird.
1. Cabin air humidity: I noticed the difference. The best "air" I have had to-date on a flight. No question.
2. Quiet. I was in row 37. The quietest transatlantic flight I have had to date.
3. Seat comfort. The new LH Economy seat gets a big thumbs up! Lumbar support, knee space, and seat recline angle all big improvements over my experience with their old 747 and A330/A340 setup. Not only does the back recline but the part under your butt does as well.
4. IFE system seems improved. More responsive than before. Better software.
5. On-board cameras. The AC has two live cameras, one front-facing somewhere on the nose and one down-facing near the front landing gear. I couldn't turn them off. Best in-flight entertainment ever! I even loved watching the sunrise somewhere over the Atlanta. Of course landing was ever better!
1. I swear my row was the last to be served dinner. In fact, it was the longest dinner service I have ever experienced. I think I got my food around 2-3 hours into the 7-hour flight.
2. I noticed the food carts had A330 labeled on them and wondered if larger-capacity carts for the 747-8 will eventually be used. It seemed like the carts did not offer the capacity they needed for timely food distribution and cleanup.
3. The fat guy across the aisle from me spilled massive amounts of something onto the seat and floor around him. Made me cringe. I almost wanted to scream at him, "Don't you know this thing is brand new?"
4. The upper door hinge of the rear crew rest area was already broken. The screws were protruding in an odd way.
5. Aft bathrooms oddity. The rear-most starboard lavatory was different from the other three. The flush mechanism was of the old (orange) push variety instead of the (blue) motion/touch sensitive button like the others. The same bathroom also had the old-style toilet lid instead of the new style. I found that strange. Like it was an afterthought somehow. Otherwise, I liked the blue LED mood lighting in the bathrooms as well as the provisioning of hand lotion and mouth wash.
That's it! What a beautiful bird!