1337Delta764
Topic Author

Next DL Order Poll - 737 MAX Or A320neo?

Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Now that UA has chosen the 737 MAX, I think now is the time to predict on who do you think will win DL's next order (for the MD-88 replacement).

Regardless of my Boeing preference, I think the Boeing 737 MAX has the overall advantage for DL's next order. As with UA, Boeing cannot afford to let one of their most loyal customers defect to Airbus, as what happened with AA. Boeing won the first round with the 737-900ER, and I am pretty sure that Boeing will offer them another super-sweet deal on 737 MAX aircraft that Airbus cannot match with the A320neo. I know that many Airbus fans love to point out that Richard Anderson was formerly CEO of NW, but everyone should remember that the CEO isn't directly involved in fleet decisions.

As for specific variants, I'd expect the 737 MAX 8 to be the most likely if they are replacing MD-88s. DL may possibly order some 737 MAX 9s as well to replace additional 757s.

NOTE: This is NOT a poll on who do you WANT to win the order, but who do you EXPECT to win the order.
The Pink Delta 767-400ER - The most beautiful aircraft in the sky

roseflyer

RE: Next DL Order Poll - 737 MAX Or A320neo?

Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:11 pm

DL is picking up large numbers of airplanes on the used market and has a large 900ER order on the books. I’m not sure they are about to make a massive NEO/MAX order right now. They might, but it seems like they are content picking up 717s, MD90s and 739ERs.

Also, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them split an order. DL seems quite content to operate every airplane produced in the last decade. When you add up the 717, MD80, MD90, 73G, 738, 739, A319, A320, 752 and 753 you do not get a rationalized domestic fleet. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up leaning towards the MAX. They did order the 739ER over the A320/A321 and the 737 fleet is younger. Some argue the 737 order was exclusively based on price, which might be true, but I still think a MAX order is more likely than a NEO order even though I could easily see them going either way.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

rwy04lga

Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:22 pm

The NEO would have to be priced VERY competitvely to beat the MAX.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

vatveng

Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:25 am

Since the 88s still have several years in them, I don't see them splitting the order for the reasons AA did. And, by the time the 88s do start to approach their expiration dates, Airbus may well have their Alabama A320 plant up and running, which would be a huge factor in their ability to offer Delta an attractive price. Given the time frame, I'm thinking NEO.

AirframeAS

Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:48 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Thread starter):
but who do you EXPECT to win the order.

Boeing. I think they'll order 200 for the Max and another 100 for the 739ER. My reason is because of what RoseFlyer said:

Quoting Roseflyer (Reply 1):
DL is picking up large numbers of airplanes on the used market and has a large 900ER order on the books.

Boeing's got this one regardless of that Airbus plant that they are setting up in Alabama.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.