zrs70

POLL: Which Airlines Always Offer A Veggie Meal?

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:39 am

Most airlines seem to offer a vegetarian meal as one of the standard options in F/C. My recent international flights on UA, however, have not had the option, which I found surprising. The FA told me that no airlines, not just UA, offer vegetarian as a given option.

That hasn't been my experience. Just about every airline menu I have seen in the past few years highlights a vegetarian option.

Can others weigh in? What airlines do? What airlines don't?
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

CXfirst

RE: POLL: Which Airlines Always Offer A Veggie Mea

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:18 am

Can't speak for F/C. But most flights I've been on, have not had veggie option. Usually a choice between two of chicken, beef or fish (sometimes pork).

However, most will allow you to prebook a veggie meal, and that is what these airlines want you to do.

This is from experience in international travel with the likes of SQ, EK, TG, QF, etc.

When it comes to airlines with larger menus (where you pay for food) there is always at least one veggie option (in my experience).

-CXfirst

JQflightie

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:33 am

From experience, and i have flown many times (also a flight attendant) KL on every flight i have been on of thiers, they have offered a VGML .
Next Trip: PER-DPS-KUL-BKK-HKT-CNX-BKK-SIN-PER

initious

Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:38 pm

As far as I know, there were vegetarian BOB options onboard Jetstar Asia and Scoot on my recent flights with them.
One day I will fly around the world!

jadedchameleon

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Thread starter):
Can others weigh in? What airlines do? What airlines don't?

UA will give you a vegetarian option if you notify them ahead of time:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...flight/dining/special/default.aspx

One of my coworkers, who flies with me on UA (mostly sUA) international flights gets Vegan/Vegetarian meals 100% of the time (at least a dozen trips), and has never had a problem--even in Y.

bwaflyer

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:12 am

although not around for much longer, bmi offer a veg option in both business class and economy class as standard. No pre ordering is required, but they are served on a first come, first served basis. Of course you can pre order a full range of special dietary meals as well.

byronicle6

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:34 am

I flew with VA a couple of weeks ago on SYD-LAX, LAX-BNE and on all meal runs there was a vegetarian option available. And on the dinner services there were 3 options which was great!
Travel is my thing

Skyeurope

Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:36 pm

I think JetAirways does as well.

At least they did on Kathmandu-Delhi and Delhi-Dubai last week. There was a meat and a veg option.

b777a340fan

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:35 pm

I think @jadedchameleon got it right. Airlines don't typically carry vegetarian meals. Having said that, if you call in ahead of time and notify the airline of your dietary constraints, they will more than likely accommodate. I don't know this for a fact, but logic has it that airlines that would carry vegetarian meals as part of their regular selection would be those regularly serving countries that have similar constraints....so if I were to guess: Air India, Jet Airways.

sq_ek_freak

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:00 pm

I think most Indian airlines will have a vegetarian option. In fact when I flew AI a few years back in Y they offered me two options for the meal: veg or non-veg. Pretty sure Jet does the same thing as well. At EK our menu make up changes per the destination, but I'd say almost always we have a vegetarian option.

Quoting Zrs70 (Thread starter):
Most airlines seem to offer a vegetarian meal as one of the standard options in F/C. My recent international flights on UA, however, have not had the option, which I found surprising. The FA told me that no airlines, not just UA, offer vegetarian as a given option.

That's a bit odd because on PS J and F they usually have three choices, and pretty much always the 3rd choice is vegetarian. 9 times out of 10 its some form of pasta...and in Y internationally they usually have two options, one of which is vegetarian (and again, usually pasta). So perhaps they operate differently with their international premium catering.
Keep Discovering