lpdal

Do Any Of The US Legacy Carriers Serve Hot Cocoa?

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:30 am

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum-I was unsure of whether to place it in the Civil Aviation forum or this one.

Being on some Delta flights recently, I have noticed that there is no hot chocolate option (but there is hot tea and coffee, of course). I do remember drinking a piping hot mug of it a long time ago on a Horizon Q400, but haven't really seen it since. I was wondering if any of the US Legacy Carriers (US, UA, DL, etc.) serve hot chocolate on any of their flights.

Thanks for all responses!  

-LPDAL
No info

Yflyer

RE: Do Any Of The US Legacy Carriers Serve Hot Coc

Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:10 pm

I remember getting hot chocolate on a United Express CR7 flight from ORD to RDU probably back in late 2004 or early 2005, probably operated by Skywest. As I recall they just brought me a packet of hot cocoa mix and a cup of hot water from the coffee maker. I was a nice option after connecting through ORD in the middle of winter -- I wanted something hot but not with a ton of caffeine.

I haven't really noticed whether it was offered as an option on more recent flights, but assuming the coffee makers have the ability to dispense hot water it seems like it wouldn't be too much trouble to stock some packets of hot cocoa mix for those who want it.

aklrno

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:59 pm

It's on the free drinks menu on WN. I have it once in a while in the winter.

airtrainer

Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:20 pm

I was just wondering the same question a few days ago, after the F/A offered the traditional tea or coffee choice. I have to say that I've never asked for a hot cocoa, but I can't remember being offered one either...
Life is short : eat dessert first !

AirframeAS

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:14 pm

I think F9 at some point a few years ago offered them. I believe they were Nestlé.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Schweigend

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:28 am

Quoting LPDAL (Thread starter):

I recall that in the '80s and early '90s CO used to have ButterNut hot cocoa packets in their catering kits, but it's been a long time since I've seen them.

Until you mentioned it, LPDAL, I'd completely forgotten about them! Thank you for that.

Back then, CO also still served YamaMotoYama Orange Pekoe Black Tea, the individual bags being in foil packets. Far, far better tasting than the Lipton in paper packets now onboard.

Both products seem to have disappeared -- too expensive? And also, I believe the two were prime for pilfering by staff.

Boy, did a hot cocoa hit the spot sometimes, especially with a Baileys or Kahlua shot added -- maybe both!!

It would be nice if this sort of thing could be brought back.

[Edited 2012-08-10 22:36:33]

Yflyer

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:04 am

I was bored tonight, I so I decided to go check the beverage offerings listed on all the major US airlines' websites. Of the airlines I checked (DL, UA, US, AA, WN, FL, F9, B6, NK, G4, and AS), Southwest and AirTran listed hot chocolate as a choice, I couldn't find a menu on Spirit's or Allegiant's website, and the rest did not list hot chocolate on their menus.