IrishAviator
Topic Author

My Planned Day Trip!

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:47 am

Hi everyone,

So I've been in America for three months on a special work and travel visa called the J-1 Visa, which is for college students, and allows me to spend the summer in America to work and generally experience life as an American. As my time here is coming to a close, I fly back to Ireland on the 27th of August, I decided to spend some of my hard earned cash on some internal flights. After much searching on expedia.com this is my itinerary:

Monday August 20th

Flight #1- DL 869 EWR-DTW (08:55-10:56) MD88
Flight #2- DL1821 DTW-PHX (12:25-13:30) A320
Flight #3- DL1646 PHX-ATL (23:30-06:05) B752
Flight #4- DL2343 ATL-EWR (07:30-09:47) B73W

All for a total of $384, not bad eh!

I've been looking on flightaware.com the past few Mondays and it seems an A319 is now flying the EWR-DTW route instead of the MD88 but I'm still hoping for the MD to be waiting for me at the gate!

Let me know what you all think of my day trip!

Cheers

Daniel

B747forever

RE: My Planned Day Trip!

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:54 am

Are you building this day trip around a specific destination? Your layover in Phoenix is really long, you can easily fit in flights to LAX/LAS.
Work Hard, Fly Right

IrishAviator
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:38 pm

I looked at flights to LAX/LAS but they were too expensive for me so I'm just planning on spotting for the time that I'm there.

Cheers

Daniel

longhauler

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Sounds like a great day Daniel!

Consider renting a car in PHX and driving to the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson. You'll be glad you did. While it is mainly military aircraft, there are enough civil airliners present to make enthusiasts like us happy!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

IrishAviator
Topic Author

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:10 pm

That would be a great idea if I had my full driving license, still on my learners permit. It is definately something I will do in the future.

Cheers

Daniel

xjramper

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Man, NYC is expensive to PHX.

Sounds like a good trip. I have PHX on the brain for a few MRs myself. (won't tell you how much I paid lol).

If you don't work on the Museum, there may be a half day trip to the grand canyon. A wee bit different than NYC no matter what you do !
Look ma' no hands!

B747forever

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Quoting IrishAviator (Reply 2):
I looked at flights to LAX/LAS but they were too expensive for me so I'm just planning on spotting for the time that I'm there.

Yeah, now when it is closer to departure you are looking at around $100 each way.

Anyway, take it easy when spotting at PHX, it will be HOT out there. I flew to PHX the other day and it was 114 degrees. Makes the current 91 degrees in LA feel cool  
Work Hard, Fly Right

AirframeAS

Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:50 pm

Quoting longhauler (Reply 3):

With him arriving at 13:30 and leaving late at night, he won't have time. It's a long drive to TUS and back.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

RussianJet

Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Sounds good, although A320 and 73W sounds like yawnsville, and that's half your sectors.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

alggag

Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting xjramper (Reply 5):
If you don't work on the Museum, there may be a half day trip to the grand canyon. A wee bit different than NYC no matter what you do !

As pointed out, a trip down to Tucson would already be tough enough. Going to the Grand Canyon and back would be impossible.

longhauler

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 7):
With him arriving at 13:30 and leaving late at night, he won't have time. It's a long drive to TUS and back.

About 1:30 or so, each way, you are right it would be tight. Personally I could spend all day there, (and have) as I have an interest in military aircraft as well. But a couple hours there would allow someone lots of time to see some very interesting civil aircraft.

I loved being able to touch the Viscount that flew the very first passenger operation in North America, and walking through a DC-6B and B707 that were at one time Air Force One.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!