blueflyer
Topic Author

Stopover Fares Online

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:18 am

Anyone knows where I can shop for stopover fares across the Atlantic online?

I haven't had much luck finding them on my own.
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

HT

RE: Stopover Fares Online

Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:47 pm

Go to any of the usual websites selling tickets and search for a multi-stop itinerary. Some websites allow only 3 sectors to enter others allow more, i.e. giving the option to make stops during both Atlantic crossings.
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

redzeppelin

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:06 pm

Like HT said. If you are traveling AAA - BBB - AAA, but want to spend a few days in CCC on the way home, you need to search for a multi-city itinerary specifying the route as AAA-BBB, BBB-CCC, CCC-AAA.

In my SkyTeam-centric experience, if the stopover city happens to be a connecting hub that you would have to fly through anyway, you can often get fares for about the same price as the AAA-BBB round trip price. I've especially noted this for AMS stopovers on DL itineraries (CDG stopovers seem to cost more though). The multi-city search tool is also helpful if you want to force a routing that you know exists, but isn't offered by the search engine. For example, if you really want to get the AF A380 flight from IAD to CDG into a DL itinerary that starts somewhere else in the US and connects beyond CDG, you can get on that flight by entering IAD as an intermediate stop on a multi-city search. But be careful--you can waste a LOT of time making up crazy itineraries like that.  

blueflyer
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 1):
Go to any of the usual websites selling tickets and search for a multi-stop itinerary.

I have tried just that without any luck, actually. I'd do a no-stopover booking from A to C with a connection in B, the fare details would state that a stopover is allowed, so I'd try exactly as you suggest, and I'd end up with a sky high fare instead!

santos

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:43 pm

Try amadeus.com, they usually give you a choice of non-stop, 1 stop and 2+stops itineraries.

HT

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 3):
I have tried just that without any luck, actually. I'd do a no-stopover booking from A to C with a connection in B, the fare details would state that a stopover is allowed, so I'd try exactly as you suggest, and I'd end up with a sky high fare instead!

I assume you still comply with "Sunday Rule" at your final destination ?
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

FlyingHollander

Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:37 am

Icelandair allows stopovers in Iceland without any additional charges.
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much.

PI4EVER

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:07 pm

A stop is one where on the normal fare routing between A and C you can stop in B if the stop does not exceed 24 hours without "breaking" the fare. A stopover that exceeds 24 hours generally results in the fare being "broken" and a higher fare may result because the flights from B on to C may have more limited availability. Free stopovers are offered, but may be capacity controlled or available only by buying a specific class of service or fare basis.
The multi-city option can be used to book both a stop and stopover and will price the itinerary by dates of travel and class of service/fare basis available.
I recently booked a trip to MUC and chose the return option for an 18 hour layover in AMS at the same price as a same day return. I also had the option for a 22 hour layover in Paris but preferred AMS to meet my brother and family on a short visit before they sail from AMS on a cruise.
The fares and deals are out there, but may require quite a bit of research. Good Luck!
Thomas
watch what you want. you may get it.

blueflyer
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Quoting PI4EVER (Reply 7):
A stopover that exceeds 24 hours generally results in the fare being "broken" and a higher fare may result because the flights from B on to C may have more limited availability.

I understand that. Maybe I was looking at the wrong site or date, because the fare differences I was seeing were so high that buying tickets from A to C and then C back to B vv was cheaper by hundreds of dollars, although less practical of course.

HT

Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:50 pm

Is there any specific airport you are looking into for a stopover ?
-HT

zrs70

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:53 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Thread starter):
Anyone knows where I can shop for stopover fares across the Atlantic online?

I haven't had much luck finding them on my own.

Been through the same dilemma many times, and I often need to call the airline. They end up building the fare manually.
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

fly2yyz

Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:54 am

I search multi trip itineraries on ITA by google and then call up the airline if they have the pricing and usually book this way. Give it a go!

blueflyer
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Quoting ht (Reply 9):
Is there any specific airport you are looking into for a stopover ?

I was looking at JFK/EWR out of BRU, for Thanksgiving, and I finally found some decent fares on AA, but then AA screwed me over... So back to square one I am, but I'm also waiting for the final dates from the relatives these tickets are for anyway.

I've got a gazillion miles to spend but they insist on paying their own way. Maybe I should resell award tickets after all. Probably less hassle.