EA CO AS
Topic Author

Carriers That Allow Compressed Medical Oxygen?

Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:43 am

As AA is in the process of phasing out their service, this leaves AS as the only US-based carrier that permits the use of compressed medical oxygen onboard their flights (for AS, it's intra-AK, and SEA/PDX to AK only, flights 1-999 only). All other carriers rely on the use of Portable Oxygen Concentrators (POCs) onboard.

Having said that, what international carriers currently permit the use of compressed medical oxygen?

[Edited 2012-08-16 02:25:51]
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Airontario

RE: Carriers That Allow Compressed Medical Oxygen?

Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:13 am

Air Canada allows it, however it must be ordered through the airline with a proper medical certificate. The airline supplies the tank, and personal tanks are not allowed.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:11 pm

No carrier would allow you to bring your own tank; it would be a safety hazard. Do other international carriers support compressed medical oxygen or is AC the only one?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Jippy8014

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:01 pm

GA allows if:

Medical certificate and approval of GA medical centre, MEDIF forms need to be completed, person needs to travel with eiter a doctor/nurse of family member, and the POC needs to be FAA/GA approved (like AirSep Freestyle/Invacare Solo 2/Oxlife Independence Oxygen Concentrator/Delphi RS-00400 for example)

Oxygenbottles will be provided by the airline.

EA CO AS
Topic Author

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:00 am

Quoting Jippy8014 (Reply 3):
GA allows if:

Medical certificate and approval of GA medical centre, MEDIF forms need to be completed, person needs to travel with eiter a doctor/nurse of family member, and the POC needs to be FAA/GA approved (like AirSep Freestyle/Invacare Solo 2/Oxlife Independence Oxygen Concentrator/Delphi RS-00400 for example)

Oxygenbottles will be provided by the airline.

POCs and compressed oxygen bottles are two wildly different animals.

Under what conditions will they provide compressed oxygen bottles? That's what I'm interested in knowing. Any idea?

AirframeAS

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:14 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 4):
Under what conditions will they provide compressed oxygen bottles? That's what I'm interested in knowing. Any idea?

I think the reason why the customer cannot bring their own bottle is because 1) It is not FAA approved (safety issue) and 2) The bottle has to be maintained by the MX department as it is still technically an aircraft part.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.