YankeesFan
Topic Author

Non-Stop Vs Direct(One Stop) Vs Connecting

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:48 am

What do you prefer for long flights? Non-Stop , Direct(One-Stop), or Connecting. I prefer Non-Stop because when I get off the plane I want to be at my final destination.
I hope you stand by your promises Obama. I will be really mad if you don't

byronicle6

RE: Non-Stop Vs Direct(One Stop) Vs Connecting

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:07 am

Depends on the airline and cost, but generally for long-haul I prefer connecting flights
Travel is my thing

tennis69

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:16 am

From where I am currently working, Doha, I have no choice but to have connecting flights. I do however try to limit the connections to no more than 2 each way.

dc9northwest

Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 am

Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 1):

Depends on the airline and cost, but generally for long-haul I prefer connecting flights

Me too--anything longer than 10 hours gets really annoying really fast. Better to split it up!

Of course, if the price is right, it's fine to do a non-stop.

e38

Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:32 am

YankeesFan, for long flights (i.e. greater than about 6 or 7 hours), I prefer either a direct flight--with an enroute stop--or a connecting flight.

I have been on a few long flights--around 10 or 12 hours--and to be honest, after about 6 or 7 hours in flight, I start getting very uncomfortable and would really enjoy landing, getting off the airplane for a while so I can go inside the terminal building and stretch my legs, get some fresh air, etc., but of course, the drawback--especially with a connecting flight--is the possibility of missing a connection, or having the second flight cancel.

I guess the answer is--while I would prefer a direct or connecting flight, if there is a nonstop available (assuming the fare is the same), I would probably go ahead and book it to avoid the stress of getting stuck at the connecting city.

My travel is generally dictated by the lowest fare--not scheduled departure/arrival times, aircraft type, or whether there is an enroute stop  

e38

AlnessW

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:05 pm

Quoting byronicle6 (Reply 1):
but generally for long-haul I prefer connecting flights
Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 3):
Me too--anything longer than 10 hours gets really annoying really fast. Better to split it up!

I always prefer connections. I want to be able to walk around, experience a new airport terminal, use the restroom, take some pictures, maybe grab a bite to eat, etc.

Honestly, boarding an aircraft and then deplaning at my final destination just isn't exciting for me.

Viscount724

Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:45 pm

Quoting AlnessW (Reply 5):
I always prefer connections. I want to be able to walk around, experience a new airport terminal, use the restroom, take some pictures, maybe grab a bite to eat, etc.

The problem these days is that so many things can go wrong and every additional stop multiplies the chances that something will go wrong -- delays, misconnections, checked bags going astray etc. And any connection is going to add at least 2 hours, often more, to the elapsed time on a longhaul trip. I think most people would rather get to their destination as quickly as possible.

When I used to fly 4 or 5 times a year from YVR (and for a few years from YYC) to Europe on business, when I had to connect at YYZ or YUL, especially on the westbound trip, I always used to think that, had I been able to use a nonstop flight, I would have been arriving home just about the time the connecting flight was taking off from YYZ/YUL, with another 5 hours or so to go.

Connections also increase the airport taxes/fees, sometimes quite significantly.

BlatantEcho

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:58 am

As much as I like planes, I pay extra for the non-stop every single time.
They're not handing trophies out today

Max Q

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:57 am

I'd prefer to be beamed there..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

aerorobnz

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:24 am

Whichever the option is to get on the airline, aircraft type I want for the right price. Life is so much more exciting when you don't take the easiest, most obvious option.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.