krasof
Topic Author

MIA-MAD On AA Or IB Business Class?

Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:48 am

Hi everyone

I was wondering which One World airline would you choose to travel MIA - MAD on business class. My wife and I will be visiting Spain on October and I´m not sure whether to go on AA or IB. I noticed AA uses a 767 and IB a 340. Which of these airlines offers a more comfortable business class on this route? Thanks !

Braniff747SP

RE: MIA-MAD On AA Or IB Business Class?

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:42 am

I've flown on IB's J a few times (some well placed friends!) and the hard product is great... Probably better than AA's. Soft product is normally decent on IB. Food is good, service variable... probably on par with American.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

Longhornmaniac

Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:52 am

Quoting Braniff747SP (Reply 1):

Oh my God I couldn't disagree more. I thought IB's entire J product was a joke, and this was on their "new" J. The seat was mediocre. For one, you couldn't move the seat while the tray table was down. Another, there's absolutely no way anyone who's over like 5'8 could extend fully in "bed" mode. While AA still has the angled lie flat J, it's worth pointing out that I actually had room for my legs on the seat. IB's seat, while supposed to be fully lie-flat, was so short I was forced to have my feet and lower calves dangling over the end. Not comfortable. I'm tall, but not crazy tall (6'1).

The food was very "meh." Edible, but by far the worst catering of all our oneworld flights. Service was non-attentive, though the CSM did personally apologize for some of the issues we had.

AA, on the other hand, has had terrific catering on every single J flight I've had with them. They're well known for their catering, and ex: MIA was great.

Same story with flight attendants. While they may be getting older, I've generally found them to be witty and fun, to accompany professional.

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

CPHFF

Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:55 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 2):
Oh my God I couldn't disagree more. I thought IB's entire J product was a joke, and this was on their "new" J.

I agree 100%

Same story with flight attendants. While they may be getting older, I've generally found them to be witty and fun, to accompany professional.

I disagree 100%

AA International Long-haul cabin crew are very bullish, even in Business Class. The have a "sit down and shut up" attitude. Granted, I've only flown AA Intercontinental 11 times, so perhaps I'm no judge.
Detroit is bankrupt. Don't forget to thank UAW folks!

Braniff747SP

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:53 pm

Oh my God I couldn't disagree more. I thought IB's entire J product was a joke, and this was on their "new" J. The seat was mediocre. For one, you couldn't move the seat while the tray table was down. Another, there's absolutely no way anyone who's over like 5'8 could extend fully in "bed" mode. While AA still has the angled lie flat J, it's worth pointing out that I actually had room for my legs on the seat. IB's seat, while supposed to be fully lie-flat, was so short I was forced to have my feet and lower calves dangling over the end. Not comfortable. I'm tall, but not crazy tall (6'1).

Meh. Each to his own... I found it to be just fine.
The 747 will always be the TRUE queen of the skies!

LAXintl

Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:16 am

Well you are asking to chose between two less than inspiring options.

I've found IB food and service lack luster and its older J class seat rather marginal.

AA is not much better. I wont take them internationally as I can stand the current seat - too narrow and my feet don't fit in underneath them unless I wedge them in funny angles. Also AA crews, and overall service can be well you know poor compared to global norms.

If you have to stick to OW carriers, I would route on BA via LHR. A good seat with much more polished product and service.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

cgnnrw

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:31 pm

Another OW option: AB via DUS. I've never flown them in C class nor long-haul but they can't be any worse than AA or IB. In fact they may even be cheaper!
A330 man.

OA260

Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:25 pm

I would take AA over IB to be honest. Whatever people say about AA I still think they offer a decent product.

reifel

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Quoting cgnnrw (Reply 6):
Another OW option: AB via DUS. I've never flown them in C class nor long-haul but they can't be any worse than AA or IB. In fact they may even be cheaper!

Yes, they are quite cheap, but no option for MAD, as there is no BER-MAD or DUS-MAD route with AB (unless you fly via PMI, but fares allow only one transfer in Europe).
Could be an option for BCN however.